“Back again”

Ranked #21 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Back again”
Reviewed 19 June 2012

As with our previous stays at Holiday Inn Cardiff Centre we found to be ok check in problem free although no room upgrade offered. Room was fine and dandy although not keen on the idea of the television on the wall. The only problem is you do a late breakfast on Sundays dont start till 0730

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
Thank you for your response and for choosing to stay with us once again. I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay.
With regard to breakfast we do start at 7.30 on a Sunday, due to inherent demand patterns, however as with any request we will happily cater a full breakfast in the restaurant from 7am , if requested. If this is required on your next stay , please let us know on check in.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Richard Platts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
Warwickshire, England
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Had a good time at the hotel, right opposite the Castle and walking distance of shops and restaurant. Clean and tidy. Breakfast is good. Room service a little limited

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting you review. I am glad you had a good stay with us, and found all the amenities in the city you needed close at hand.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

kind regards

bridgwater
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Booked three rooms for Saturday the 10th , no welcome as PCR Platinum , no upgrades , no free wifi , no welcome letter . This is the worse recoginition of platinum so far this year in any IHG property . After asking was given a voucher for ONE FREE DRINK . The rooms are very tired and 606 an exec room was tiny . Also all rooms at the front suffer from noise from the road . All the staff we came across were very good from the cleaner who was still cleaning one of the rooms to the bar and restaurant staff , all a real credit to the hotel . We had a meal in the evening in the restaurant and the food was good and service excellent as was breakfast on the sunday . Will I stay here again ? NO .......I get better recognition at HIX Cardiff Bay , free drinks , wifi , parking they obviously cant upgrade the rooms but they do make me feel valued ....Come on management play fair adhere to the PCR programme .

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the back , lot quieter .....exec rooms not worth the extra.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
I am really sorry that you did not receive the recognition you should have as a Platinum Member. Please be assured that we have addressed this issue, I am really sorry that the communication regarding this during your stay was sadly missing.

I was pleased to note that the team better reflected our service ideals during your stay as you experienced the hotel facilities.

Thank you for your comments and once again my apologies.

Buckinghamshire
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I stayed at The Holiday Inn City Centre for a hen do. It was the first time id been to Cardiff let alone Wales and i absolutely loved it. The rejenaration project is amazing and the shopping, restaurants and clubs are brilliant i will definately go back.
The Holiday Inn is perfectly located within a short 3-5 minute walk from the lively areas. It is slap bang in the middle of the castle and the millenium stadium so the views are spectacular. We stayed on the 6th (top floor) and you could have literally watched a game from the room. The room was clean, spacious, very quite and even had hair strightners (really good touch for a girl) It cost £80.00 which seemed average in town and was only a 5-10 minute walk from the train station. Thoroughly impressed!

Room Tip: Definately opt for the 6th floor - better views
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Thank you so much for your review, I do hope this will entice you to visit again and catch up on the bits that you may have missed out on.

kind regards

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I arrived at a very clean and smart reception at about 1430 on Friday afternoon.
It was good to see a wedding was taking place in the hotel and everyone was in the happy party spirit. Then a hen night arrived to start there party weekend, which proved the hotel caters for all aspects of a stay away.
The Bar was very well stocked and very resonably priced for a hotel bar.
My room had a great view over the stadium and a nice comfortable bed which led to a nice nights sleep.
Breakfast was excellent with happy staff happy to show you to your table and the buffet selection didn't disapoint wiuth a full English or continental choice or in my case both !!!!
Will be booking again very soon for a return to Cardiff.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank THE-GIBBO
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking time to place your comments.

I am glad you had a great stay with us , and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Richard
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2012

I stayed here over the weekend as one of Holiday Inns Platinum Members (Loyalty scheme)...the highest tier. We has booked 2 non-smoking double rooms; the hotel was well aware of this. As part of both being platinum, we are to receive an upgrade subject to availability.

I became aware the hotel overcharges for it's customers car-parking..£20/weekend..it is cheaper at the NCP down the road (and we all know they love to charge!) and so parked in the NCP associated with the station down the road. My friend asked the front desk for the postcode for my SatNav...they stated it was the same as the hotels! Unsurprisingly, my friend asked to use the wifi as he didn't believe this and was charged £5 for the hour; of course the postcode was different.

My friend had told me he received no upgrade when he checked in to his room (329) a few hours before me. Richard checked me in on the friday eve, I had been pre-allocated a twin room!...I asked for the upgrade and for the inconvenience he agreed to comp some wifi and when I got to the room (626)...it was a smoking room...yukkk! It was too late to argue the toss. I was disappointed at this situation....not a great room and not next to my friend.
Remember that this is how this hotel treats their most loyal guests.

Saturday morning...I go out and want to put my bits in the room safe...it doesn't work, so advised Anna on the front-desk it needed attending to. I returned at 5pm and it hasn't been sorted. I call the duty manager (AG?) and he comes to my room. We had a conversation with me stating the above and how disappointed I have found my stay. I was impressed that he actually replaced my safe in the room..a lot of work and we agreed to have sunday breakfast comped and the £16 for the extra 24 hour wifi comped as well. (£16/day for wifi... go buy a BigMac instead!).

The hotel is noisy overnight with party guests!

Sunday morning, we go to check out and breakfast was comped, but the same duty manager (AG?) stated that he would only comp the £5 and not the £16 and that we had agreed parking would be comped..I stated that this was incorrect as I had not parked at the hotel. AG stood his ground and the charge stuck. We left.

Remember..this is my experience as a platinum Member...wrong room allocation...upgraded to a smoking room, safe not working and a hotel that overcharges for parking and wi-fi...you make up your own mind about whether it's good place to stay, but I have to spend 50 nights a year in a Holiday Inn or Crowne Plaza to maintain my platinum status...and I won't be back.

So...where would I stay instead...well, if you want another holiday Inn style hotel...this place is great and will be my next choice:

wifi...£5/hr or £7/day and £5 parking/day...in a great area in the bay...and free continental breakfast albeit more basic rooms.

If you want more central..then I would suggest:

http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/CARBAR/cardiff-city-centre with 30 mins of free wifi a day, room only.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank drdanielmacdonald
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Dear Dr Macdonald,

Thank you for your comments , and as we have discussed today on the phone please be assured that measures are being put in place so that the shortcomings you experienced do not re-occur in the future.

I am sorry that your break was not as envisaged, and that this is in now way how we want any customer to feel.

With kind regards and renewed apologies,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I stayed here one night in early may. I was there to attend the Mumford and Sons concert at St. Davids Hall. The hotel was perfect for me. Quick check in, good room, nice bed, location, and quiet. The staff was helpful, and the breakfast in the morning good. I could walk anywhere in town easily, and to the train station in the morning. i thought the price was fair, and was glad I stayed there. The room was a good size for a European hotel.

Room Tip: I took the room I was offered, and would not be a good person to ask about how to pick a better room...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank DCHOTELGUY01
Thank you for staying with us at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre , and I am glad your stay was enjoyable.

I will pass your kind remarks to the team, as all feedback is importatnt to us to, I appreciate your time taken to post your response.

I hope we get the opportunaity in the future to welcome you back to our hotel.