“was nice to have a big TV close to the bed”

Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre
Ranked #21 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 18 October 2012

My normal hotel in Cardiff was full, so they booked me into the Holiday Inn Cardiff city centre..

The staff at reception were friendly and polite.

Nothing really bad to say about it, but was nothing special, comfy bed, but more than a bit claustrophobic getting from the door of my room to the bed down all I can describe as a tunnel past the bathroom and wardrobe..

The one problem I had was the lack of gym or pool on the premises, the gym they offer free access to opposite the Thistle hotel about 10 mins walk away was dire and after taking a look I left and went for a walk instead. Would be nice if they could improve this aspect.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2012

I am glad you found our team friendly and polite, and although the corridor aspect a little narrow all the amenities in the room to be to a good standard as they should be.

I was disappointed to learn that the external private fitness centre we partner with was not to your liking, however I shall call in and pass feedback to the team there.

Thank you for your feedback and choosing to stay with us , I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Reviewed 16 October 2012

Check in was very professional and quick, really nice lady at reception who was very helpful. The hotel was easy to find and very easy to park at, car park needs attention to the markings and pot holes. Inside the hotel was very clean and we really liked our room 603. Only disappointment was the television did not work with the remote, I did ask for this to be attended too whilst we went out for a really nice evening in Cardiff, on return it still did not work. Booking out was just as efficient as checking in, except I mentioned the point about the television and was not the answer I expected? Unhelpful???
Will we go back yes booked in for end of this month so will write a review after that visit

Stayed: October 2012
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2012

Thank you for your review and choosing to stay with us.

Over all I am glad you enjoyed the hotel and facilities, and we look forward to welcoming you back next month.

I am sorry we did not rectify the issue with the remote, this will be addressed, my apologies that it was not working during your stay.

kind regards

Reviewed 14 October 2012

Hi, just stopped in hotel on eve of Cardiff Half Marathon, hotel and room looked wonderful, but room heating system is crazy, as the hotel set your room temperature and fix it with no personnal control. Our room was like an oven and left us tired and dehydrated in the morning. Staff just said policy is to control temp by floor, no thought for personal comfort. Beware if you want a restful stay!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank michael p

I was really disappointed to learn that you had not had a restful night.

The hotel heating / cooling is set with a over all temperature range , allowing each room to be altered between set parameters. Given we have had experienced some cooler nights recently , with outside temp falling as low as 3 c the cooling (air conditioning ) has been switched off & set to a heating mode. It should still have allowed a reasonable temp range to adjust to or indeed to switch off if a cooler room was required.

We will review the ranges these are set to again, to ensure we strike a balance for all our guests at this time of the year.

My apologies this detracted from your stay.

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 7 October 2012

Holiday Inns aren’t a chain Australian’s have much exposure to. To be honest, we didn’t expect much in Cardiff, especially considering the rate we paid. Gee were we surprised.

We stayed at the hotel over the weekend of Cardiff Mardi Gras. The location for attendance at that event could not have been better – literally straight across the road. But it was a great location for exploring Cardiff regardless. If you attending football or rugby at Millennium Stadium or Cardiff Arms Park they are right behind the hotel.

Nice staff on reception, easy check in as all of my details are registered with ICH as a Priority Rewards member. Car parking is available out behind the hotel in an open air carpark. Price appeared to be 10 GBP/day. More about that later.

Opened the door to room 403 and both of us went WOW! The room was huge, maybe they are big at all Holiday Inns? Maybe we were upgraded? If we were we weren't told. Then we saw the view. Straight across at Bute Park (with Coopers Fields through the trees) and even up to Cardiff Castle and along the walls. Terrific.

We left the Mardi Gras, very much worse for wear when it finished, so we can’t comment if much noise came into the hotel, but we experienced no road or any other noise issues in the room.

We didn’t book a bed and breakfast rate as we didn’t know if we’d make it on morning one. We can now see there would have been no point bothering as a full breakfast buffet was only GBP7.50 each. Fantastic value for a great spread. Then there’s the really friendly Welsh staff in the restaurant. It’s a nice bright airy room as well.

We tried a couple of the bars, again nice spaces with friendly staff.

Purchased the ‘all-in-one’ internet and movie package on the second day. Great value as we were in a movie mood the second night. After watching two first release movies the internet was free!

To ice the cake, when we checked out we paid at reception for parking (the ticket machine wasn't working) and it was only GBP10 for all weekend – Friday afternoon to Monday morning!!

Can’t recommend the Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre enough.

Room Tip: We had room 403. Ask for it if you can, it was great.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pandaboys
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2012

I am so glad you had such a great stay with us, I shall pass on your kind remarks to the team, who obviously made your stay complete in addition to the super facilities we have.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future hopefully.

Reviewed 6 October 2012

It is the only hotel that I have stayed in where you could control the room lighting by opening and clossing the draws to the unit under the telivsion. Made a complaint and nothing was done it became very amusing to all the poeople in my group. The room in question was no. 301 so make sure you do not book this one. The bathroom was so small that you could trip over toilet and end up in the bath. There appeared to be no thougt in the design of thespace and safety .I only hope that all the Holiday Inns are not of all the same design and problems.

Room Tip: Do not have room 301.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Williamfells

I am sorry that you experienced an issue with your room lights, we did during your stay however check that everything was working, which at the time of checking it was, and left a note to that effect. Please be assured that everything in the room is functioning as it should.

Many thanks of bringing this to our attention, and I am sorry that it detracted form your stay.

Reviewed 2 October 2012

Grim, tiny room with dented and chipped heavily revarnished furniture and stained grimy carpet. Looks like something out of the 1970s, as it would be today.

Bathroom is better than the main room, but only just. See attached photos.

Unfortunately as a business booking I can't alter anything but I will be forwarding my concerns on to my head of department and I certainly won't be staying here for personal reasons if ever the need came.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank orcomma
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2012

I am really sorry you did not find our facilities to the usual high standard.

I would be grateful if you could contact me directly on richard.platts@ihg.com so I may take up these matters and ensure they are addressed.

My apologies once again, and thank you for drawing these to my attention.

I look forward to hearing form you so I may take positive action on your comments.

Reviewed 26 September 2012

Great location beside the stadia and close to shops, city centre, castle and university. Room was clean and fine, if a little small for a double bed for two people. Great for a single business person. Breakfast was fine with good selection. Car park very handy but, could be filled very fast when events on at the Arms Park or the Millenium. We saw people going to the match parking while guests then had no space. You could easily use the carpark as a city parking area. Staff pleasant and helpful. Would happily return

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback, especially regarding the match parking, we will be able to monitor this moving forward to ensure space is left as it should be for guests of the hotel.

As many others it is nice to see how you combined the great location we have with all our facilities to make your stay.