“Small room but great location”

Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre
Ranked #21 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed here for one night and had room 518 on the fifth floor. The room was pretty small (no bedside table on one side, which was a bit of a pain) but it was clean and it had a great view. The bathroom was tiny but functional. I'm not sure we'd have been impressed if we'd paid the full price as advertised in the hotel lobby, but we booked through a comparison website, so we got a great deal and the location was perfect.

We had drinks in the bar last night and breakfast this morning and all the staff we encountered throughout our stay were very nice. We did have two occasions when the cleaning staff entered our room without knocking (one just after we arrived who just said sorry and disappeared quickly, and one this morning who asked us what time we'd be vacating our room) - it would have been politer if they'd knocked first - but we mentioned it to the reception desk and they gave us free parking by way of compensation, which was nice of them.

Room Tip: Room 518 has a lovely view but is quite small. We were near the lift which we were a bit worried ab...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Thank you for selecting our hotel when visiting Cardiff recently, and I am glad you found the staff pleasant and helpful.

Thank you for your observations, I am sorry that you were disturbed , however moving forward we can ensure the team are re briefed when checking guest rooms, I do hope this did not detract from your stay too much.

Thank you for your comments, and I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

We stayed here for three nights whilst attending a conference based at the hotel. The staff could not be faulted .The rooms are spacious and clean.Breakfast was excellent in content ,variety and quality .
The only negative was the price of the wifi which was expensive normally I would not chose to stay anywhere that does not have free access to the internet .

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank kathyIsleOfMan

Thank you or your review and I am glad you had an enjoyable experience for your recent business trip.
I am especially glad that the teams positive attitude showed through and made a lasting impression.
I have noted your comments regarding Wifi as feedback regarding this is very important to us moving forward in this area.

kind regard

Reviewed 17 October 2013

Great location, Cardiff centre is just a few minutes walk away. Food & drinks in the hotel are a little more than the town centre pubs. Breakfast was buffet, usual choices of cereals, breads & traditional cooked. We had lunch provided by the hotel, the portions were a little on the small side, however the dessert were lovely. The hotel is well maintained & very clean. My room overlooked the river & millennium stadium. The TV reception was sometimes intermittent, the bathroom was compact to say the least, and the bedroom a little small. A safe was also installed in the wardrobe. A good atmosphere in the bar & restaurant area.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for your review and constructive comments which are always helpful for us when looking at ways to enhance and improve our service.

I am glad you had a good weekend conference with us and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Great location, next to the Rugby and not far from the Football. Shops in walking distance. Hotel customer service excellent and staff very friendly. Even the Manager introduced himself and asked for feedback which of course was positive. I even received a complimentary drink. fantastic breakfast keep us coming back. The hotel is a typical Holiday Inn - the rooms aren't spectacular but they're clean and have everything you need. Only criticism is that the bedlinen, well the duvets, are a bit on the cheap/small side. The hotel is located so close to everything that you're just a short walk from the city centre shops (and Cardiff is great for shopping), plus its pubs, restaurants and bars. The Millennium Stadium is also only a short stroll. There is even a theatre within walking distance and opposite the hotel, behind the castle is Bute Park bordered by the river where you can get a public river boat down to Cardiff Bay. Breakfast at the hotel is expectional with a large array of freshly prepared fruits, continental cheeses etc., a variety of pastries, cereals, toast, & full English breakfast. They've just added a pancake maker as well which is not only very quick, the American style pancakes were so good.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Thank you for your review, and It was really beneficial recently to spend some time with my customers to hear from them what we could do to keep them coming back.

From the sound of things the way the team here treat them is a very good start ,and the addition of the pancake machine to our award winning breakfast has also been a hit!

I do hope that we can meet up again next time you stay, please do drop me a line when you are next in.

Richard

Reviewed 12 October 2013

I do hope the management of Holiday Inn are reading this. You have wonderful staff who engage, smile and make an excellent impression. And you are letting them down through something that is so simply altered. At check-in everything went very smoothly - I was made to feel welcome, I only had to wait a few minutes, everything was in order and efficient. Then I asked about internet access. The receptionist very neutrally told me the charges and tried hard not to wince at my "how much - you have got to be joking". The pain in her eyes told me this was a far too regular occurrence. It spoiled my visit and all that hard work by excellent staff was wasted. Come on Holiday Inn: £16 per 24 hours is not acceptable when I can get free access in almost every coffee bar. Why are you charging so much? I am working and I need to keep in touch with my business when I am travelling.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank PAH2008

Thank you so much for your comments which highlight all the super things my team here try so hard to attain every day.

I am sorry that the cost of internet has taken the edge of what sounds to be a very positive experience. Please do be assured that all feedback such as this is very much taken in to account, as this is a area of the business that is currently being reviewed with further potential changes in 2014.

Thank you for choosing us to stay for your recent trip, and if you have cause to come to Cardiff again, please do contact me personally so I can ensure all arrangements are personally looked at. richard.platts@ihg.com

Reviewed 12 October 2013

Great location, next to the Rugby and not far from the Football.

Shops in walking distance.

Hotel customer service excellent and staff very friendly.

I even received a complimentary drink.

Every time I stay in Cardiff I always stay here.

Car Parking is free if you are in the rewards club from gold level up with free "Wi-Fi"

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your review, and of course the time taken a couple of weeks back when I was chatting to my guests in the bar.

I do like your title, 'Always Stay Here' when my customers are saying this it really underpins the great work and care the team here display.

Look forward to speaking again soon,

Richard

Reviewed 10 October 2013

We have stayed here several times and the great location and fantastic breakfast keep us coming back. The hotel is a typical Holiday Inn - the rooms aren't spectacular but they're clean and have everything you need. Only criticism is that the bedlinen, well the duvets, are a bit on the cheap/small side. The hotel is located so close to everything that you're just a short walk from the city centre shops (and Cardiff is great for shopping), plus its pubs, restaurants and bars. The Millennium Stadium is also only a short stroll. There is even a theatre within walking distance and opposite the hotel, behind the castle is Bute Park bordered by the river where you can get a public river boat down to Cardiff Bay. Breakfast at the hotel is expectional with a large array of freshly prepared fruits, continental cheeses etc., a variety of pastries, cereals, toast, & full English breakfast. They've just added a pancake maker as well which is not only very quick, the American style pancakes were so good I wanted to smuggle the machine home with me..... yes, will definitely be back!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for choosing us for your recent trip to Cardiff and also for taking the time to leave your kind comments on this site.

I am really glad you enjoyed the hotel so much, and also the way you have summarised this brilliant city which is on our doorstep!

I do hope you will be back , we would love to welcome you once more, I shall however keep an eye out for my pancake machine being stashed in a rather large suitcase!

Kind regards