“Just as good on our second visit”

Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre
Ranked #20 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Thanks to a positive experience last New Year we decided to stay here again and I'm pleased to say nothing has changed.
Great location for the city centre but then that is hardly going to change.
Front desk staff very helpful and soon sorted out a problem with our final bill.
The breakfast is still excellent and the fried eggs are the freshest I've had in any hotel that does a buffet service.
Comfortable room on the top floor had good views of the river and rugby ground with the distant hills visible on the horizon. The rooms are not the biggest by any means but who needs acres of space on a one night stop.
Will definitely consider returning on our next visit to the city.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Thank you for your review and for continuing to choose us when you stop in Cardiff.

Great to hear that you find all the really positive things about the hotel just the same as you did when here last time.

We look forward to welcoming you back with some great Welsh hospitality.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

Paid over the odds for this spot. Meant to be 4 star, but room smaller than Premier Inn, no breakfast, wi-fi or parking. Rip!
Good location as we were in cardiff for the rugby at the millennium stadium, but high price for the facilities provided.

Room Tip: Don't know about pool and gym.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

It is difficult to comment on room size as we have varying room sizes here , as do other brands that you have referred to.

I am sorry that you did not find the package you booked on good value, as we aim to be competitive at all times of the year and provide a great service to match this.

Thank you for your comments and choosing to stay with us when you were at the rugby game last month.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

Have stayed here on a couple of occasions now. Received an room upgrade this time which was most welcome. Room was much more spacious but design appeared a litte old. The only thing that lets this hotel down are the staff. Reception was unwelcoming and never a smile likewise the bar staff late at night. Only ray of sunshine was the Head Waiter at breakfast who was bright and cheerful. Car parking and being a short walk into town are the great benefits of this hotel. Bad point is the Wifi which at £5.00 for an hour in my eyes is expensive.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for choosing to stay with us when visiting Cardiff recently, and also for taking the time to post your review on this site.

I was pleased to note you found your stay excellent value, however concerned that not all the team displayed a cheerful welcome as is the norm for the team here, my apologies for that.

I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 24 October 2013

The city centre location was very convenient for me, and the hotel was easy to find. One reason I chose the hotel was the car park, which was very good for a city centre hotel. The room was on the small side, but reasonable given the location. The staff were friendly, helpful and efficient. The only meal I had was breakfast, which was good apart from the scrambled egg, which was quite horrible!

Room Tip: Rooms on the back of the hotel, overlooking the car park should be quieter than the one I had which...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your review, and choosing to stay with us when on business recently in Cardiff.

I am glad you found us good value and loved the location, and overall had a good stay , which our team aim to achieve for every guest.

We may have a little work to do re our scrambled eggs for your next visit, I am not sure why they were not up to the usual high standard, however please note for future we are happy to cook any items fresh to order, especially eggs if you do not wish to use the convenience of the buffet.

Thank you once again, and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 23 October 2013

I have stayed in a holiday inn in London and it was far nicer than this one. We arrived at 5pm after quite a long day of travelling and visiting friends so were quite tired and in need of a freshen up. The young girl that 'greeted' us wasn't particularly pleasant. After asking for our name she picked up the telephone and asked (after sighing) if an executive room was available (the room was suppose to be available to us from 2pm, so its a good job we arrived 3 hours later as it was only just ready), she made another call asking if room 601 was available, I guess this was suppose to be an executive room and sent us on our way, no smile, no friendliness, she was just rude. I did actually see her leave the building about 20 minutes after that so I guess it was at the end of her shift, but still.

The room was below standard, even to a premier inn, it was a bit outdated and not overly clean. The bathroom was small, badly equipped and just in need of a bit of love and care, it needs an update badly. We stayed at the front of the building, on the main street on the top floor and it was incredibly noisy from about 0630 onwards.

The bar area is OK, the staff there are much friendlier. We didn't bother with breakfast as I just didn't trust the Kitchen.

Its about a 10 minute walk to the main high street and there are plenty of hotels closer to the shops and the CIA. I wouldn't stay here again but when you don't know the area you just trust your previous experiences but I would recommend staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

I am really sorry that your first impression of our team was as you describe, this is most unusual as usually our comments about the team are always positive which they pride themselves in.

However on this occasion we have let ourselves down and my apologies to you for that.

With regard the room, we have our executive rooms planned for refurbishment this autumn, and I am sure the work we have planned will address the issues you have highlighted.

Thank you for your review, and once again my apologies that your experience was below the high standard that this team normally delivers.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Yet again a lovely stay in a holiday inn wonderful breakfast comfortable rooms the only downside no drawer space in bedroom very central to city centre didn't have to get in car at all. I will always try to find a holiday inn when doing inland holidays

Room Tip: No preference
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

I am so glad you enjoyed your recent stay and that you always find what you need with Holiday Inn.

I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back next time Cardiff is on your agenda.

Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here numerous times due to business requirements, the rooms are small, AC is basic, shower unit sporadic temp, trouser press in functional. The staff are friendly although English is obviously not their first language, food is average and the car park is an added bonus. A typical city center hotel, just don't pay too much.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your repeated custom, I am really pleased to note you have returned many times to stay with us.

Your observations as all our reviews are helpful in assisting us keep our service and standards high, and I thank you for taking the time to assist us in this way.

Please do contact me on your next planned visit personally at :richard.platts@ihg.com - I would be grateful for the opportunity to look after the arrangement of you booking.