“Honeymooners on business”

Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre
Ranked #20 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 6 November 2013

although the hotel itself is average the staff was extremely helpful at the front desk and at the bar. We're from the states and like our ice so every night we go down and get ice for our thermoses and every night they fill it without questions...we've had three separate bartenders and they've all been great. (also go down for Starbucks coffee in the morning which is served at the bar)
I work for a hotel management company that also renovates and owns a number of hotels back in the states so I have more of a critical but this hotel is clean, the room cleaning staff are very pleasant and helpful...the beds were extremely comfortable (I'm laying on one typing this review)....I would recommend this hotel if you are coming to visit Cardiff. Oh, and don't expect to watch anything good on TV. There are roughly 30 channels and not much on....

P.S. I don't think they see many Americans around here but the people are very kind once you engage them in conversation.

Room Tip: It's a bit noisy in downtown cardiff and the walls in the hotel are thin- bring an eye mask, ear...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank RachelE2013
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Thank you for your review, and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay.

It is lovely to hear how the team have met your requirements and engaged themselves with you throughout your stay.

I do hope that on your next visit from the States, we have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

2nd time staying here. I think the room the first time was a bit more modern. Check in was fine, they had a room available for us before check in time which was great. The room was fine though. .Bathroom is on the small side and noticed toilet was stained :-/ Everything was very clean except stain in toilet bowl.
The room got VERY warm during the night. It was quite uncomfortable. Not much air came in through the window when opened, couldn't leave it open when sleeping as it was too noisy with cars flying by. The air con/heating cannot be altered as it is set in accordance for the seasons!!? CRAZY! One thing I think they should definitely change.
You have to pay for wifi! YES PAY!! You would think all hotels these days would have complimentary wifi. I did know this when booking the hotel though. Another thing they should change!
Bar in hotel is a rip off! Glass of win and diet coke cost over £10!!! Would have expected that if there had been a vodka in the coke ;) Food prices aren't good value either.
Check out was quick and simple.
Location of the hotel is excellent, only a few minutes walk to the shops/restaurants /bars.
I wouldn't necessarily stay here again, would consider other hotels before this one,

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments, and I am sorry that some of your expectations were not met.

I have taken detailed note of your points and will work on these as appropriate with my team, and indeed feedback where some of the points re charges relate to a group pricing strategy.

I do feel with all the services we offer and quality of products used we do offer good value on all occasions and this is delivered by a team who care passionately about delivering a great experience.

I do hope next time you stay you will consider using us again, and I would welcome you to contact myself personally.

Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel twice in month
Good location however windows in rooms on both occasions hadn't been cleaned in ages
Reception staff really pleasant however restarant staff in night not so much on both times

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for your recent comment and for choosing us to stay with when visiting Cardiff recently.

I am sorry that some of your experiences were not as positive as others during your stay, but this feedback is really helpful in assisting us to identify where we can improve.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

HI is so central to all the attractions in Cardiff and we would no hesitate to stay here again. We had an excellent deal for a two night stay including breakfast. We had a room at the back of the hotel on 5th floor - the Millennium Stadium and the River Taf just outside. The room itself was good, a little tired I suppose, but we had everything we needed for a comfortable stay. The bathroom was the weakest point - compact (maybe a shower cubicle would be better to a shower/bath). Breakfast was excellent and the staff were extremely attentive. Staff were very polite and made you feel at home. As HI privilege club members (gold) we were allowed to a park at the back of the hotel for free - this is such a bonus as city centre parking can be so pricey. Many thanks for a great stay.

Room Tip: we would always ask for a room at the back of the hotel on a higher floor (away from the main road)
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent review, and also for choosing us as your 'home' for your visit to Cardiff.

I am really glad you enjoyed your stay and that the staff made such a positive and lasting impression.

I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back.

General Manger

Reviewed 2 November 2013

My wife and I decided to take break away from all the madness in London; Cardiff was our preffered option and holiday inn was to be our home away from home. We stayed there from the 29th till the 31st and I will say that we enjoyed our stay there with just a few hitches I can recall. The connected T.V sometimes had a mind of its own when you try accessing the menu option, the screen just goes black and you have to switch it off and back on...very frustrating. On the early hours of Thursday our checkout day about 2am, we got to our door on the 5th floor(room 509)-which is the last room on the row before the fires escape door- and saw a trolley clearly blocking off the fire escape door. As a concerned individual with a good knowledge of health &safety, I promptly called the operator to attend to this issue. It was removed a few minutes later which was a good thing. Nevertheless, the experience was an interesting one and we did enjoy our stay iverall.

Room Tip: You can get a good view of the rugby pitch across the car park from 5th floor and above.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Thank you for selecting us as your 'home away from home' and I am glad you enjoyed your visit to a slightly smaller capital city than you are used to.

I also appreciate your assistance in drawing our team's attention to a housekeeping trolley that was awaiting to be stored away. This is a point we have picked up on with the team for future reference.

I do hope we have the the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future,

Reviewed 1 November 2013

This hotel is always a first choice for us when visiting family in Cardiff (Dependant on price!), mainly due to the location which is ideal for the city centre.

The rooms are nice, clean, good size beds, nice TV, castle view, tea/coffee making facilities etc but my only gripe is how small the bathrooms are, literally tiny!!!!!

We didn't eat here but used the bar which was clean and tidy looking, the waitress was very good, bringing the drinks to the table, clearing up and even entertaining some unruly children and managing successfully to keep them quiet which is more than the parents could do!!!

Reception staff were friendly and we were even able to keep our bags in storage after check out and pick them up after shopping.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review, and it is really nice to hear how well the team have looked after you during your stay.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back next time you are in town visiting your family.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Went for a couple of days away with the girls, we had seperate rooms. Mine was fantastic as I'd phoned in advance asking for a stadium facing room, had a good view of the blues ground. Perfect for me as I love rugby. My friends room was tiny, she was quiet happy. There view was a little bit of light and a wall. The hotel needs a bit of a revamp.

It's a perfect location for shopping and general things to do in Cardiff.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review and for choosing us to stay with when on your Girls Weekend.

I am glad you had a nice time and do hope that next time you come over from West Wales we have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Oddi wrth