“Another great stay thanks!”

Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre
Ranked #21 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here many times over the past few years. The staff are always welcoming, the rooms clean and beds comfy. Beer and bar not great but it is close to the city centre where many great restaurants and pubs are within walking distance. Small car park so book a space in advance if you can.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Thank you for your comments and your ongoing loyalty.

I am glad you enjoy your stays here, and look forward to welcoming you back.

Richard Platts

Write a ReviewReviews (1,309)

Reviewed 8 December 2013

How is possible in this day and age to charge such ridiculous prices for wifi? It is a basic need of most business stays and holiday inn claims to cater for business stays. The hotel is typical Holiday inn, overpriced rooms, bar and restaurant inline with the wifi costs. Have to say it was very clean and tidy and staff (mostly!) friendly.
Above reception was a list of room prices £359 standard! It's Castle Street, Cardiff not the Champs Élysées, Paris! Who are they trying to kid. There are nicer hotels in Cardiff and at much better rates, not a lover of Holiday Inn hotels and this stay ( not booked by me!) hasn't convinced me to use them more.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your comments and I was most pleased to hear that you found our hotel clean and the team friendly and welcoming.

I am sorry that all your requirements were not met, and that you felt our pricing when you stayed was not reasonable. We do ensure we offer great value at all times of the year and pricing can vary due to demand.

I have noted your comment regarding Wifi , whilst we do charge at present, this is for a premium service and not restricted as some 'free' internet offers are.

Again I am sorry that you were disappointed , as it is not our intention to have any dissatisfied guests and all your feed back will be used in a constructive manner.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Great location but the rooms are really small and the bathrooms positively claustrophobic. Low points for me were the really hard, lumpy pillow (labelled 'soft') and the £16 wifi charge. Breakfast was great except I was given a chipped cup. On the plus side it does have a reasonable sized car park, it's close to the main shopping area and the staff are very friendly. There are better hotels in Cardiff. I won't be rushing back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank TuesdayChester

Thank you for your comments and I am sorry that we were unable to meet your requirements for your recent trip and visit to us.

I have taken all your feedback in a constructive manner and will make changes with my team where appropriate.

Thank you for choosing to stay here for your recent visit.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

Arrived to check in and the staff were lovely. Very friendly and welcoming! A seamless experience.

The room 323, has to be the smallest room I've slept in for years. It looked a bit dated, the bed was a small double bed which kind of gave us the feel of being in someone's "guest room" rather than a hotel room and the towels were very, very small. I have a 36inch waist and couldn't wrap one around my waist. But as we only stayed for one night, it was OK.

We asked for a taxi to be called and that didn't quite happen as we hoped for.

The bar staff wasn't as friendly but we were in a good mood so we didn't mind. (Smile, Pedro!) :)

The breakfast staff was lovely. Nice when greeting and Callum who was sorting us out with coffee was very nice too. Food was above average but as we didn't pre-book, it was on the expensive side £30 for 2

We forgot our iPad and without a problem the staff made sure it got to us, which we felt was again a great show of service. We were also surprised by the amount of local people working there! All very good! Will hopefully be back soon. (But not in room 323)

Room Tip: If they say "Your room is number 323", ask for another one! :) (unless you're very sm...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ioansaid

Thank you for your review.

On the whole I am glad the team presented themselves in their usual genuine friendly manner, which I can assure you is usually the case for them all...

You will be please to note that we will be moving to a new linen supplier next year and providing larger towels. As with most hotels we have a mix of rooms to suit all requirements, so if visiting again, please drop in a request and allocating a larger room will be no issue.

Thank you for choosing us and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

Friendly staff, great view out room window, clean, good facilities, comfortable, great breakfast for additional £5. Central location - easy walk to shopping centres (brisk 5 minutes). The lift does make a disturbing creaking noise until late at night (and we were not directly next to it) - it didn't bother me but if you were sensitive to noise it could be very disturbing.

Room Tip: ask to be as far from lift as possible
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Anani78

Thank you for your review and choosing us to stay whilst visiting this great city of ours recently.

I am pleased to note you found the team friendly and welcoming, and enjoyed your stay.

The comments re the lift have been passed on to our maintenance contractors in order that they can rectify this issue.

Best Regards

Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

As with all Holiday Inns you know what you are getting with this hotel. The reception staff are very friendly and professional. The bar staff were good too. This hotel is just across the road from the castle and a few mins from the Main Street, the shopping is close by too. The train station is 15mins walk. There is a car park and it's the biggest one that I have found as a hotel car park so far in Cardiff. Sometimes when I've stayed at other Cardiff hotels the car parks have been quite small and you have to find somewhere else to park.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank EmmaJetsetter

Thank you for choosing us to stay and for taking the time to note your comments on this site.

I am glad you had a great stay and you found the facilities matched the service offered by the team.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

I stayed here with a work function in Cardiff castle and found it to be one of the best hotels I have stayed in. From the second you check in you are made to feel welcome and nothing it any trouble for the staff. My room was huge, spotlessly clean with everything I needed for an over night stay. The view overlooking the river was lovely both day and night.
Breakfast was fresh and plentiful. It set me up for the day.
When I come home I realised I had left my phone charger in my room so I rang them and they are posting it straight back to me. What a lovely experience and when I staying in Cardiff overnight again I will stay here again and again. Highly recommended.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Liane W

What a great review, thank you so much.

It is lovely to hear how engaging the team were from the moment you checked in.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.