“Resonable hotel though noisy at the weekends” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre

Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre
Ranked #23 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Resonable hotel though noisy at the weekends”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

Having stayed at this hotel before I decided to use it again for a short break on a Friday/Saturday which was a mistake as there was loud music until 1am on the Friday night from the bar downstairs which prevented a good nights sleep.

The room was a reasonable size and fairly standard though was a clean. I didn't eat in the hotel this time as there are plenty of nearby restaurants.

The hotel is situated in a good location though there are better hotels in Cardiff and I wouldn't stay at this one over a weekend given the disco though have previously stayed during the week and its been fine

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
I am sorry that your stay was disturbed on this occasion from noise from a party in the hotel.

We do have functions on in the hotel during December, as do most of our competitors, and every effort is made to manage the noise in conjunction with other guests staying for different reasons.

My apologies once again.

Kind regards and have an enjoyable Christmas.

Richard Platts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
Clevedon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

Work's Christmas Party at Midnight at Monte Carlo included an overnight stay at the Holiday Inn, on arrival we were greeted warmly, but only given one door key, weren't asked if we wanted 2 even though we booked in as a couple - no drama until later - the receptionist booked us a taxi for our evenings fun - the room was clean, quiet and pleasant - the shower was amazing, a good full pressure hot shower

On returning as a group from Monte Carlo i briefly lost my husband and therefore had to request a 2nd door card, which wasn't a problem, but thought it would have been the norm to give out 2 to 2 people in a room - a quiet night was had in the hotel even though we were advised of Christmas Parties being booked at the hotel by letter left in full view when we arrived at the room, we also, as have others on here, struggled to turn down the heater/turn on the a/c-fan, admittedly we didn't inform reception at the time, but merely opened the window and opps forgot to mention it in the morning - breakfast was amazing apart from the fact we had to ask 3 times for tea

would definitely return as hotel is definitely well located, great shower and breakfast :)

Room Tip: Backside rooms are quieter :)
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review and your comments on your recent stay whilst enjoying Christmas festivities in Cardiff.

I am glad you had a good stay, and thank you for your feed back. It is usual to ask all guests when checking in if they require a second key, apologies that this did not happen in your case.

Somerset
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

For a City Centre hotel this really was a very good experience. Easy to drive to from the M4 and a good sized car park which is not too expensive (& large spaces). We found all the staff we encountered at reception and in the bar and restaurant to be very friendly, efficient and helpful. The room was fine - huge bed and plenty of storage space, although the bathroom was a little dated with over-bath shower and an ill fitting curtain which allowed the floor to flood. As with many hotels the room was too warm and lots of road noise which is perhaps inevitable in the city centre.
We came for a 'party night' which was very enjoyable. Good service and the food was reasonable for mass catering, though our group of 18 were placed on two tables of 9 - surely most groups will be couples who want to sit together - we easily reorganised into an 8 & 10 though!
Excellent location, just a 5 minute level stroll to the main shopping streets or to the castle and right alongside the millennium stadium.
We would happily come again!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the road have a better view but will have traffic noise - ask for a room facing the sta...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I am glad you had an enjoyable stay when attending a party here recently, and that you enjoyed the party and food also.

Your comments are noted and helpful for our de brief in preparation for next year.

Many thanks

Kind regards and seasons greetings.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

I stayed one night in this hotel for a course on the 4th December 2013. The staff were very friendly. I was given a room by the road which had traffic noise that was very loud. I requested a change of room and they moved me to a room at the back of the hotel without too much trouble. I The hotel lacked the usual comforts in the room. I had to phone down for a sewing kit (emergency repair of a button). This sort of thing I would have expected to be in the room already. It just had 1 bar of soap. The rest you had to request, personally it is not really ideal - it gave a hostel/travel lodge vibe to the stay. Breakfast was varied and okay. Nothing special. Lunch was actually quite nice - included in the course I was attending. Overall, I would stay here again only if I had to (i.e. if a course was being held at the hotel).

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back rather than by the road!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review, and I am glad you had an enjoyable stay overall.

The items you have noted will be reviewed for action where appropriate.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

When I arrived, it was quite late and I did not know the area, so I decided to eat in the hotel bar. I ordered the lasagne, expecting that to be a relatively easy thing to make that would be difficult to get wrong. However, when it (finally!!) arrived, it was over cooked and almost impossible to chew around the edges and there were unidentifiable white lumps in it that were rather chewy, and neither the staff or I could work out what they were. I will never eat there again but the room was fairly good. Decent size, good television reception, central location and nice and clean.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Fesmess
Thank you for your comments, I am sorry that the food was not as it should have been, which we will feed back to our team here.

You will be pleased to note that we have changed our menus since March, and have received excellent feedback on our new offering, although I do feel in this case it was an isolated incident of the menu item not being prepared properly.

Whitland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

Had an enjoyable weekend break here - hotel well situated near shops and Millenium Stadium. Room 212 was a good size except for the bathroom which was far too small. Good blackout curtains on windows and good to have a choice of pillow firmness. One niggle it was far too hot in the room during the night.

On the Sunday enjoyed people watching from the bar and reading the Sunday papers there. We also had a bar meal for lunch on the Sunday. Excellent choice and food was hot and well presented. All the staff we came across were polite and helpful. An excellent weekend break in Cardiff.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your response and for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to Cardiff.

I am glad you had a great time and that the team looked after you well.

Kind regards

Cardiff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

I feel so disappointed with regards to the Christmas dinner we had last Saturday. It was the worst main course I have ever experienced. The quality was terrible. I feel it was just a TV dinner that was put in the microwave to warm up and served. Shame on you Holiday Inn. You have tarnished the brand. Starter & desert were average but the main - pure yuck :(

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Christopher J
I am very sorry that you didn't enjoy your Christmas meal. I can assure you all food is prepared and cooked freshly each day, however your comments will be used as part of our post Christmas de brief when reviewing our menus.

I do hope that this has not taken the shine from your festive plans , and I would like to wish you a very Merry Christmas.