“Location, location but not much else.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre

Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre
Ranked #22 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
Burntwood, United Kingdom
“Location, location but not much else.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

A great location, helpful staff. good beds..... but minus points. The biggest was the evening meal - my group as well as pretty well everyone else had to wait ages for their meals. A single course took me over an hour and those having dessert were closing on 2. More kitchen staff perhaps? The rooms are a bit tired in places too. Bar prices are high, especially sundries.
Breakfast is good with a lot of variety and even a pancake machine.
A good place to stay but could be better. There are a lot of good restaurants nearby that are better - and cheaper.

Room Tip: Get even number rooms as these tend to be on the Millenium Stadium side and away from the street noi...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Thank you for your review, and choosing us to stay with recently.

I am sorry that there seems to have been a lapse in our usual high standards in the restaurant, of course we shall ensure that any issues encountered on the evening when you dined have been investigated and learnings passed through out the team.

I am glad that you found the team helpful and that the location suited your needs well.

Richard Platts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
Ipswich
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

I chose this hotel as it was close to the venue I was attending at the weekend. Due to the complaints of noise from other reviewers I asked for a quiet room , and I didn't experience any noise. The car park is £10 a day, which is reasonable. The location is good, opposite the castle and close to shops, clubs and restaurants. The staff were good, especially at breakfast (which starts quite late for the weekend (7.30am). Wifi charges are expensive, £5 an hour is surely overcharging. The bathroom is small, you can touch the basin, toilet and bath all from the bathroom door! I think the main negative issue is that this hotel badly needs a refit, the carpets are old and stained and the fittings are decades old. Also the lighting in the room is awful, there are no ceiling lights and the lighting just isn't good enough really.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room if you are concerned about noise at weekends.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank cleversod
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.

I am glad to note there were many highlights during your stay, and also pleased to say that the comments regarding refurbishment are being addressed currently, as we have just completed a phase of rooms that under went refurbishment, with other phases scheduled through out the year.

Our Wifi whilst chargeable, will become complimentary to all our IHG Rewards members from the summer, so this will enable people to enrol and benefit from the facility.

I do hope that we have opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel, as I have observed from your other reviews that you have frequented our great city previously.

Shurlock Row, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

Stayed here whilst visiting my niece at University here. Good location for the University and opposite the castle. About 25min walk to the Bay. Would stay here again as quite centrally placed with good access to attractions

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Penny L
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Thank you for choosing us to stay with when you visited your niece at University in Cardiff recently.

You found like many family members who do the same visiting students that our location and car parking facilities really work well, as well as being directly on hand to take a look at the city centre.

I do hope we have the opportunity of looking after you again in the future, and we wish your niece all the very best with her studies.

Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

I've just returned from 12 straight nights in holiday inn Cardiff. This is my second stay and like the last I can honestly say it was above the average. This holiday inn is not as tired as some have become in my experience. It still looks and appears to be a four star city center hotel.

My room was very comfortable, room 619, and what a view, directly into Cardiff Arms Park with the imposing Millennium Stadium imposing itself above. The river Taff also features in the view from this room. The room was very large and comfortable and was perfect for my 12 night stay.

The staff were all very welcoming and pleasant. A special word of praise for Valerie in housekee ping. She left me a spare mobile phone charger which fitted my charger with it's frayed lead. What a nice touch, thank you Valerie.

Cardiff is a fantastic, warm and friendly city. The location of the hotel is first class across from the impressive Cardiff Castle and two minutes walk to the Goat Major pub which serves the delicious range of Brains ales on draught - splendid stuff!

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the Millennium Stadium
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for choosing us for your recent stay, and I am really pleased to hear we made your time in this fantastic city a welcoming and comfortable one.

The highlight is hearing how Val went the extra mile in anticipating your needs with the charger, this is great initiative and I am sure you will be pleased to learn that today she has been recognised for her great customer service.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

I had a fair amount of difficulty finding a twin bedded room in Cardiff for the weekend we were visiting and the room at the Holiday Inn cost more than I wanted to pay but no choice. I wasn't really expecting too much having stayed in Holiday Inns before. However, and perhaps it was because we had a room on the 6th floor with a great view of the Millennium Stadium, the river Taff and beyond, I thought it was great. Highlights were the staff who were all most friendly and helpful and the breakfast, which was excellent. We didn't eat in the restaurant but the bar was nice with some very palatable, but expensive, red wine. Would recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back on the 6th Floor have great views.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank olwenjones
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Thank you very much for you review after your recent stay with us.

I am very glad that we we exceeded you expectations and that the team and our great breakfasts were a highlight.

I do also have to agree the views over the Taff and Stadium are awesome, equally as the views of the park in the other direction.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel sometime soon.

Southampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

Having stayed at this hotel a lot it is disappointing that standards have dropped in the new year... It's Wales and Winter so it's wet , but the car park is now so poor for standing water that Wellingtons are a must to cross it. My shoes were overtopped ! The room on 4th floor is noisy as window appears to fit poorly with drafts and road noise, a lot of road noise. Typing this in bed with jumper on, the wall thermostat set at 23 and radiator at max, neither system producing heat. The restaurant was so slow that beer took 20 mins so abandoning starters after being told there was no soup, awaited the steak which arrived cold, without the salad, with tasteless Stilton sauce and a dressing less coleslaw and no one could find French or German mustards arriving with French's American Mustard... But otherwise all good !

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank richardnailor
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear richardnailor

I am really sorry that we have let you down on this occasion, and that you found the standards and service not to your expectations.

I shall certainly take stock of all the points raised and ensure that we address and improve where appropriate , as clearly there were some basic shortfalls that occurred during your stay which are not acceptable.

Thank you for bringing these to our attention, and once again my apologies.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

This is the second time I was staying at the Holiday Inn for just part of the night. It is centrally located, very close to the train station and to the malls and restaurants. This time I was given a more spacious room facing the castle which made for a beautiful view, although it did become very noisy at night. The staff were incredibly helpful and courteous and arranged a taxi for me for the early hours of the morning. I would definitely recommend this hotel for a quick stop over.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review, and I am glad the hotel fits your needs.

Please do when visiting again contact us directly to make your reservation, and I am sure we will be able to allocate a room away from the road.

Thank you for your repeated custom, and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.