“Great staff” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #23 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Have to agree with other reviewers. Great staff on reception and inthe restaurant made it a very pleasant stay. Although I could not get the platinum club upgrade on one of the nights they sorted me out with the stuff usually found in the room and allocated me to a bigger room. All round good experience

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for choosing us to stay at , and for being such a loyal customer to our brands.

I am very please to read that the team went to extra efforts to ensure your IHG Rewards status was acknowledged, and even more so to see how well they generally looked after you during your stay.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

kind regards

Richard Platts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
Sedona, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

Clean, pleasant atmosphere and totally trumped by great staff. These people know how to make you feel welcome and cared for! I felt like I was greeted by family every day. The food was interesting and tasty, and the atmosphere delightfully interesting.

Room Tip: Choose a room that overlooks the castle gardens. If you are a sports fan choose the other side to lo...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Kathryn V
Thank you for a lovely review, and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and found the team so engaging.

This is what they are good at, and it is nice when it is recognised, I have already passed on your kind remarks to them all.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

kind regards

Walton-On-Thames, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

Excellent location and facilities but for hotels to be charging for internet connection is completely unacceptable nowadays, many hotels in Cardiff provide this free and I would choose one of those in the future despite the fact that everything else was good.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I am sorry you were unhappy that the WiFi at present is chargeable in our hotel, please when booking next enquire about signing into our fantastic IHG Rewards Club, this along with many other benefits will entitle you to complimentary WiFi from the summer of this year.

I do hope this will give you confidence to utilise our hotels in the future.

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

Pros:
Friendly desk staff.
Clean.
Good location.

Cons:
Freezing cold rooms (to the point were you don't actually want to get out of bed.)
Provided electric heater was rubbish.
Smallish double bed.
Tiny bathroom.
Wifi is £5 an hour?!

Not one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed in, but there are better 3 star hotels in Cardiff.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank foodkez
Thank you for choosing us to stay with recently when you visited Cardiff, I am sorry however certain aspects did not meet with your expectations.

My self and the team take great pride in ensuring we do our best for every guest, and we shall certainly review your comments for areas in which may need addressing.

My apologies once again.

Wigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Booked this through airmiles having read is amazing reviews on the avios site. Arrived and was astonished that the car park was not complementary, even more so when I saw the usual tariff was £350 pn.
Staff were lovely, room was small and in desperate need of updating, dingey carpet, fixtures, bathroom etc.
View was superb but a very noisy location. Thankfully the bed linen was immaculate.
I think to charge £350 you have to be aiming for the standards of the Andaz in London, with its plush, large, technology filled rooms and free bars this room barely warrants a £125 tariff.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Thank you for your review. I am sorry you found certain aspects of your stay not to expectation, but am grateful for raising these so we have the chance to rectify where possible.

I shall check the tariff display and other comments that you have raised.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

2 nights on business. Surprisingly cheap for a Hotel located within the city centre, but then you get what you pay for, as the saying goes.
Staff friendly and helpful
Parking ample
Well located
Hotel is dated and in need of refurbishment . Double bed was actually two singles pushed together. Paper thin walls, so yes very noisy , I could hear neighbours on the loo umm nice not !.,
Wifi dreadful, hello it is 2014 !!
Shower very poor and bathroom very basic, not that clean either
Didn't eat in the hotel so cannot comment
I would not recommend as found other hotels close by of similar price but far superior

Stayed February 2014
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Thank you for your review, I am sorry that your stay was not all that you expected, but pleased to note you found us competitively priced with a welcoming team attentive to your needs

I shall of course follow up on your comments and am of course grateful for you bringing these to our attention.

Exeter
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

And so, we arrive easily, great access, plenty of parking. Travelled to visit family and booked two rooms, one for my husband and I and one for my Mother. Our rooms were not ready initially as we arrived at 10.30am but our bags were taken and stored for us. When we arrived back, the rooms were all prepared and were extremely spacious, light, airy and with hugs beds - larger that SuperKing. We were on the 3rd floor, on the road side - it is worth pointing out here that I was therefore expecting some traffic/city centre noise - there was none! Extremely quiet and peaceful. All the staff were very pleasant and helpful, giving my party adjoining rooms. Bar staff were jovial and chatty, and the atmosphere was friendly and competent. Breakfast was actually one of the best I have had from the 'buffet' style brigade, mushrooms and tomatoes that were proper;y cooked as opposed to being warmed through and raw, excellent sausages, black pudding, choice of eggs etc. Great fruit, juice, yoghurt, breads and meat/cheese choice. Even gluten free bread to be had for me - definite well worth the £9.50 cost. Heavens, almost with going there for breakfast even if your not staying. Great range of newspapers on hand, free on charge, on way into dining room, all creating a memorable, relaxed and slightly indulgent feeling stay. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Don't worry about being on the road side - it was surprisingly quiet
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mgfreak
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
I am so glad we provided a 'Cheeky' getaway for your family and by the sound of things you had a really great time with us.

Thank you for your review, and I shall pass on your kind remarks to the team.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.