“Excellent Management Skills”

Ranked #21 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Bethesda, United Kingdom
“Excellent Management Skills”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

My husband was attending a meeting in Cardiff and was booked into the Holiday Inn for two nights. The room was clean and comfortable on the 6th floor overlooking the river Taff and Cardiff rugby stadium. The bathroom was small but served the purpose. Breakfast and Dinner were acceptable.
My husband is very hard of hearing and unfortunately his hearing aid broke, and we needed a solution to the problem as he would not have been able to hear in the meeting he was due to attend. We decided to go to the audiology department in the nearest hospital. Richard the general manager of the Holiday Inn was helping in the dining room at breakfast time I approached him to enquire about the bus routes to the University hospital's audiology department, Without hesitation, he offered a taxi at the hotel's expense up to the hospital and we were transported there, a distance of about three miles, in a very short time. Even though the hospital was unable, or unwilling, to assist, we are very grateful for Richard's generosity and willingness to help. We do not know of any other hotel which would go out of their way to assist their guests in this way. He also enquired later if our problem had been solved. The ladies at reception were also very helpful and understanding.
Thank you Richard and your staff , your help was greatly appreciated and we will certainly be returning to the Holiday Inn, Cardiff in future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank NorthWalesGolfers
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
What can I say, except thank you for your review and also for choosing us to stay with.

I am glad that I was able to assist, and encourage my team to do the same which I hope is apparent from the reviews we get on here.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future. Please do drop me a line next time you book with us.

Richard Platts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
Tregaron, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014

The rooms are pretty decent, much what you'd expect. The best thing about this hotel is where it is, perfect location for the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff Castle and all the shopping areas. The restaurant isn't all that, pretty basic food for inflated prices so go out to eat, there's plenty that's close enough to walk to and Cardiff is pretty accessible for wheelchair users too. The conference facilities are good and the catering staff do a great job of providing different break time treats every day so if you're the for several days there a good variety and although it's a little thing, it makes a difference.
Be aware that if there's is a big international sporting event on, you may end up having a sleepless night if you unfortunate enough to be on the same floor as a group of hard drinking fans.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a view of the castle, it's not a deal breaker but it's better than looking a...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your detailed review and for choosing us to stay with recently during your conference.

I am glad that we provided everything you needed and that the variation on our new Food For Thought concept for our meetings was memorable, tasty and different.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

General manager
Essex, UK
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I am a business and Leisure traveler and use to be a IHG Platinum member but dropped back last year after feeling a lack of true recognition for high level loyalty usage. I am now an elite member of a competitors loyalty programe

Nevertheless I remain a frequent returning guest to the Holiday Inn Cardiff for both business and pleasure use. Please see my previous positive feedback for this hotel. I was the organiser of a local event which required me to book two nights accommodation on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis for myself and seven guests.

The first night was splendid and up to the usual standard that I have always experienced at the Holiday Inn Cardiff.

The second night was the exact opposite. Service in the restaurant was unacceptable and the food was of a unacceptable standard as to what is normally experienced. Along with other diners my group was waiting a total of two and a half hours to finish our food. The meals were mixed up, over cooked or cold and not of an acceptable standard. Some of my group were not given full portions as advertised on the menu and another member of my group was served her main meal thirty minutes after the remainder of the group had consumed theirs. Our waiting staff were repeatedly unsure of our orders and we were poorly attended to.

I note that guests at an adjoining table received a visit from the Manager to explain what had so badly gone wrong, but we were not offered such an explanation from anyone senior.

At the end of the night I complained to one of the waiters who explained that he was new to the role. I was subsequently seen by another member of the catering staff. I was told that the delay and poor quality food was due to a lack of staff and a large group of young sportsmen who had arrived unexpectedly for dinner in the restaurant. By way of compensation my group of seven adults was given one complimentary bottle of red wine as an apology.

I do not accept the explanation given of the unexpected group booking of young sportsmen. Surely there must have been a lack of consultation between the reception staff and the catering staff. Large groups of sportsmen do not just turn up unannounced at a hotel;

The severe slowness of the service led to my group splitting up from what was going to be a group social evening in Cardiff City Centre, instead a number of the group went to bed disillusioned.

As the organiser of the event I have been left professionally embarrassed.

This was certainly not the level of service I expected from the Holiday Inn Cardiff. I know from my previous stays they can achieve much better. The catering staff were doing their utmost in the most difficult of situations. This was a lack of management, a lack of co-ordination between front office and catering, and a lack of explanations.

Not good I am afraid. I will need to consider all my options for further business needs in Cardiff.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
I am really sorry that your experience was as you describe for your stay last week.

We did have some isolated issues which affected service on the evening you have highlighted.

I feel it appropriate to go into these in more detail personally, and would be grateful if you could contact me at richard.platts@ihg.com in order that I can discuss and apologise directly.

I will also send a message via the facility on this forum to your Trip Advisor profile.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

stayed in this hotel for 1 night and was very happy. Staff were lovely, even getting me a heater when I arrived soaked from our lovely weather. The location is excellent, literally a 5 min walk to the centre with all the shops and across the road from Cardiff castle- I walked from the train station in about 10-15 mins. Didn't eat in restaurant for dinner, but the breakfast was good. Only minor complaint is there was a crack in the sink. Views from the room look over the river and the stadium, and I could see that being a problem on a match day if you were looking for a quiet stay. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
If I could choose my favourite Trip Advisor title this might well be it...

Thank you for your review and for choosing us, I am so glad you had a great time.

I do hope we can welcome you back in the not too distant future.

fortaleza, ce
Reviewed 3 May 2014

This hotel is just at the side of Cardiff Castle and minutes from the City Center. No better location to know Cardiff you could have. The rooms are clean, comfortable and with good views. The breakfast is very good and the hotel has a parking garage (paid). Very good option.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for choosing us for your recent trip to Cardiff, and I am pleased to note that you had a great time with us.

Thank you for your review and I do hope you select us again if visiting this great city.

Kind regards

Fleetwood, Lancashire
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a night whilst on business. Having stayed in many Holiday Inn hotels I know what sort of specification to expect. This was very clean in the room and all over the hotel. No complaints in that department.

Nor any complaints with the food, either dinner or breakfast.

The view at the back of the hotel, from the 6th floor, just about means you can see into the rugby ground, where there was training taking place. The location is adjacent to the Millennium Stadium, so I doubt if there is much chance of booking a room around match days!

The only downside was that parking is limited and has to be paid for. It's understandable as this is a city centre location. A notice directing guests to the car park would be helpful though, as I had to drive past and then come back again before spotting the entrance.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear Chris1968_13,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. We always try our best to ensure we meet our guests needs and expectations and on this occasion we apologize for your disappointment with the parking. Rest assured that we take all comments and suggestions to heart so that we can improve and provide the exceptional service that our guests expect and deserve.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Recently attended the Cardiff RHS Show. Wanted a hotel close to it. Well - right opposite as it turned out. This hotel is so beautifully situated for the castle, stadium, Bute Park and shopping. It also has a large car park! Admittedly you have to pay a day rate for that but it is much cheaper than car parks in the town. Fantastic. Great breakfast too. Buffet style. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. Thanks everybody.

Room Tip: Rooms on Castle Street have a great view of the castle and the park.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rapunzelle99
Thank you for this lovely review, lots of positives, the one that stands out for me is the team. They always go out of their way and this has shone through in your visit.

I do hope we see you again soon