“Ticked all the boxes”

Ranked #22 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Ticked all the boxes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

This is one of the better Holiday Inn properties which is quite modern and has good staff to go with it. The location is fabulous next to the Cardiff castle and millennium stadium on the same road as Cardiff City centre, cannot get better.

This hotel was our stay over as we were visiting Barry Island which was half an hour drive.

The staff were helpful and the Cardiff folk are friendly as always.

Food was standard for a holiday inn hotel but at the higher scale.

Thanks for a nice stay

• Stayed August 2014
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Holiday Inn Cardiff City and that we tickets all the write boxes for you!

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next visiting the area.

Richard Platts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
Rugby, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

I chose holiday inn Cardiff for my wedding reception and evening party, and I made a fantastic choice.

The staff were very attentive and listened to what me and my husband wanted for our day, they did everything in their power to accommodate us and I couldn't praise them enough, the price was amazing and for that we had more than any other venue in Cardiff. They really made our day very special and I can't thank them enough

I have and will continue to recommend this venue to anyone I speak to. The menu was delicious and the evening buffet too, the music in the evening disco was great with a fantastic DJ hired by the holiday inn who even joined in having a dance with us!

We had a complimentary room with our wedding package, we were given a very large room with en suite and a gorgeous view over the river and stadium. The whole day was made easy and enjoyable for us and again we thank them.

It's only a shame I can only have the one wedding! I would do it again with the holiday inn in a heartbeat! Thank you guys!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank El S
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am thrilled to read such a great review and to hear that the service we provided on your wedding day was exceptional. It is always a great morale booster to receive comments such as yours and I will be delighted to pass your comments onto the team.

Brampton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre lives up to the Holiday Inn name. It is very clean, air conditioned, and centrally located. It is an easy walk to both Cardiff castle (right across the street) and many restaurants and markets, which we appreciated after a long day's drive. What really made the hotel stand out for me was their service. We left a small bag at the hotel (the perils of moving to a different hotel every night!) and when we called the hotel staff they readily agreed to mail the bag to our next destination. We offered to pay for the shipping, but they sent it free of charge. It's a small thing for the hotel, I'm sure, but for us, such small kindnesses really made our vacation. Thank you!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank wanderingfire
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am thrilled that you have enjoyed your stay in the Welsh Capital and in particular our hotel. Our staff pride themselves on great customer service and I will be delighted to feedback your review to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards,
Mansfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Great location for the city. Easy to find too. Very well appointed room, with good facilities. The room overlooked the millennium stadium, bowling green and river. Lovely. The restaurant was good and the food of good quality and great service. The reception staff were good and asked me to join their loyalty club which gives you free wifi access which was great. The breakfast in the morning was also as expected with good service. Another reliable hotel from holiday inn which I would return to.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view and at the back. You won't be overlooking the road then.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of our hotel. We are pleased that you have enjoyed your stay and that you have become one of our IHG Rewards members giving you access to free wifi. We are genuinely delighted you will choose to stay with us again in the future and look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind Regards,
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Centrally located, clean and well managed. But for the price the room was very small and the double bed has to be the smallest "double" I've come across. Stayed during a summer weekend and found the place to be quiet during the night.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vijay_from_Surrey
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Vijay_from_Surrey,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. We strive to ensure all of our guests needs are met and we are pleased to know that our location and hotel condition were to your liking and contributed to making your stay that much more comfortable. Please accept our deepest apologies for the issues you had encountered with our accommodations and beds. Rest assured that we take all comments and suggestions to heart so that we can improve and provide the exceptional service that our guests expect and deserve.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Mold, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

A prime location opposite the castle with views from the rear towards the Millennium Stadium. Comfortable rooms - bath looked quite small (although I only used the shower, which was good). Dinner in the restaurant was tasty and filling and there was a good choice at breakfast.

Room Tip: Rooms to the rear look out towards Millennium Stadium and river and are furthest from any traffic en...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Nickynoodle1278
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 17 September 2014
Thank you for your review. Its is a pleasure to read you comments, I am glad that your found the location ideal and that your meal in our restaurant was tasty!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Carmarthen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Let me start by saying this is a review based on a stay that did not happen.
We booked for a saturday night in july two rooms.
As we arrived in Cardiff we received a phone call from the Hotel saying they had no rooms for us and were booking us into the Angel ( see separate review )
I went to Holiday Inn Reception to see what was going and and was disgusted to find people around me being given rooms on the basis they had allegedly booked earlier than we had.
I was told we would be given premium rooms across the road in The Angel and a reduced price. If I had know how bad it was going to be I would have gone to the Hilton
I have stayed in the Holiday Inn Cardiff many times and always gave it a good review.
This review is about the management, or lack of it, not the hotel. I am a Priority Club Member and even though IHG like to say thats worth something it really isn't.
Will I book this hotel again? Probably no point if they are going to turn you away.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richard K
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
I am very sorry that we were unable to accommodate your booking back in July, I would be more than happy to apologise in person should you wish to leave your contact details to my email address below.

Kind regards