“Good location but "basics" are expensive.”

Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre
Ranked #20 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 29 August 2010

I spent 3 nights at the Holiday Inn in Cardiff with my girlfriend, her mother, sister and her partner for 3 nights away. The location is very close to the shops, bars and restaurant. It is also next door to the Millenium stadium. It has it's own car park which is £10 for 24hrs which isn't too bad.
The hotel throughout appeared to be clean and tidy.
On check-in we were asked if we would be eating breakfast at the hotel which would be an extra £9 per person per morning. Most hotels of this price that I have been to include the breakfast. We decided not to pay for the breakfast at the hotel and go across the road to Wetherspoons where I could have pretty much anything for £3-£4.
I then asked about Internet access in the room and was told that it would be £15 per 24 hours. Taking into account that we were there for 3 nights that would have added £45 to the bill. I didn't need to use the Internet a lot, just for emails and googling tourist activites, restaurants and bars so we just ended up using our smart phones for that. We found some vouchers for discounts at certain chain restaurants that we needed to print out. When we asked the hotel they told us that they didn't have a printer that we could use and would have to go to the library which was next door to John Lewis. The library is a nice, modern building with friendly staff. They gave free Internet access and charged 20p per print which was a fair price to pay. It seemed as though a few people there had the same idea and were printing out restaurant discount vouchers too.
The hotel had no fitness facilities or pool.
Before we went out one evening we decided to buy a drink from the hotel bar. 3 drinks = £16.40. Very expensive for a couple of glasses of wine and a beer.
Back to the room...... the room was clean, the bed was very comfortable and had some really good sleep. There was a lack of plug sockets, I think there were 2 available for use. We had 2 phones, camera batteries, hair straighteners and a laptop to plug in so we were constantly having to climb under the dresser to switch plugs. The bathroom was quite small but again clean, air conditioning worked well and there was an old style philips hotel style CRT TV as opposed to one of the more recent flat screens.
I know that I have said both positive and negative things about this hotel but I have tried to give a real life review stating all observations that might be of use to anyone reading this.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
keegoCardiff, Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2010

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments in regard to your recent visit.

I was pleased to note that you found the hotel comfortable and clean . I will also take your comments about the cost for extras into account when next conducting a pricing review.

Kind regards

Reviewed 27 August 2010

Stayed here for business and the hotel was very friendly and clean. Breakfast was great and the location was really good as it was only a 2 minute walk to Queens street. Just steps away from the hotel towards Queens street is a great restaurant/bar that serve good food all day. Very trendy and nice and good price. The shops, and nightspots and restaurants are all within a few minutes from the hotel so you really cannot get any better. Much better than other Holiday Inns I´ve stayed in.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent visit.

I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with your colleagues and look forward to welcome you back in the future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 27 August 2010

We stayed at the Holiday Inn as a special treat as I am a huge WHO/Torchwood fan. This was a wonderful surprise and I found both the Hotel and Cardiff a wonderful, vibrant, friendly city. SO much so, we plan on returning later this year. I would recommend this hotel to anyone! Our room was clean, spacious with a lovely view of the Castle across the road. We found the staff very, very friendly and professional. One of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. Well Done Holiday Inn and Diolch!

Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments in regard to your visit.

I was very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay whilst soaking up the atmostphere of the city that Doctor Who and Torchwood were filmed in. I look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Cofion cynnes

Reviewed 26 August 2010

Stayed one very rainy night in August. Handy carpark, close to Cardiff centre. Standard Holiday Inn but the bar had food specials that were not standard Holiday INn. Nice change from a club sandwich. There were roadworksoutside the hotel which made access interesting but nodoubtthese willbe finished soon. Lots of different customers in the bar at night, made a change. Would stay again next time in Cardiff.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business

I am pleased to note you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcome you back on your next visit to Cardiff, by which time the roadworks should be completed ( Oct 2010)

Reviewed 1 August 2010

Travelled to Cardiff for a wedding and needed a budget hotel to rest our heads and eat breakfast and overall it was good.

-Staff were excellent and very friendly.
-Great location opposite the castle.
-Fantastic breakfast buffet in the morning

Only down side was our double bed was two singles pushed together but it was a major inconvenience and they supplied linen and a duvet to cover the whole bed.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
keegoCardiff, Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2010

Thank you for your comments, I trust we will be able to welcome you back when you are next in Cardiff. Please let me know when you make your booking and I can ensure you receive a room without a zip&link bed.

Reviewed 25 June 2010

This is our 3rd visit to this hotel - each time to attend a cricket match at the nearby Swalec stadium. We have always had good service and this time it was even better as the room we had had been newly refurbished to a very good standard and was available wel before the check-in time,. The room was spacious with a choice of soft/medium/firm pillows. The bathroom was spotless with good facilities. If I want to be picky it would have been nice to have biscuits alongside the tea/coffee making facilities.
Breakfast was a good buffet in the clean restaurant area.
Our only grumble is one we had before - car parking is allocated on a first come first served process and if the hotel is exceptionally busy, either for events or conferences, there is the chance of not getting a parking space. We have always been able to use the parking area of the Arms Park for the same price so not a real problem - so far! This time it was good to see the hotel manager being very visible to hotel guests needing parking.
We will certainly use this hotel again and would certainly recommnend it to anyone wanting a convenient city centre position with good service and good ambience.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
keegoCardiff, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2010

Thank you for your comments and I look forward to being able to welcome back in the near future.

Reviewed 11 June 2010

My 12 year old daughter and I stayed at the Holiday Inn for one night on 9 June 2010. We had actually had a reservation at the Riverside B&B, but when we arrived at the Riverside, no one answered the door or the phone (Our train was delayed, so we arrived about 45-50 min later than expected). We sat outside on the doorstep with our luggage for about 50 min while ringing the doorbell, knocking, and phoning repeatedly. Eventually we gave up and walked over to the Holiday Inn which we could see right across the river. Fortunately, they had a twin room available. They quoted me 90GBP for room only and 100GBP including breakfast. This was more than we were to pay at the Riverside but less than we have paid in London. I don't know if it would have been cheaper to book in advance or not.

Check in staff were very friendly. Our room was clean and nicely decorated in blue and white. It was one of the larger rooms I have stayed at in Europe. It had 2 twin beds and a desk and a closet. The bathroom was a good size and had a combo bath/overhead shower which I have not seen a lot of in Europe. The window overlooked Millenium Stadium and a field where some men were playing something that I think was bowls, but I wouldn't swear to that in court.

We ate dinner in the hotel restaurant, and it came to about 38 GBP for me to have roast chicken and daughter to have steak, no alcohol, we just drank tap water. Breakfast was a buffet, which was perfectly adequate with a toaster for toast, bagels, etc, cereal, and hot items such as fried and scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns, etc.

The hotel is 2 blocks from Cardiff Castle and maybe a 10-15 min walk to Cardiff Central Station, easy enough to do with a 22 in rolling suitcase and small backpack each. The hotel will hold your luggage on checkout day.

Overall, there was really nothing wrong with the hotel except that I thought the price might be a little high but not completely crazy, and it didn't have the character of the boutique hotels and B&Bs we usually stay in in Europe. Also, they have wifi available, but it is 15GPB/24 hrs. There is apparently a Wetherspoons pub down the street with free wifi, but I just decided to deal with it and pay the 15 GBP. I am certainly not complaining, though, as they did have people available to give us a room so we didn't have to sleep on the street.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
keegoCardiff, Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2010

I am pleased to learn that we were on hand to help provide what we do best, a hospitable warm welcome whatever time one arrives.