“Room Service to die for!”

Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre
Ranked #21 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 8 November 2010

We were the lucky ones, we had the room with a perfect view of the Millenium! The beds were very comfortable, nice rooms but something happened to my unopened bottle of wine...
I would of rated it higher if the staff weren't so grumpy'.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
keegoCardiff, Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2010

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments in regard to your recent visit.

I was pleased to note you enjoyed your stay and would be grateful if you could contact me directly so I can get more detail from you.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre

Reviewed 7 November 2010

Having stayed here a few times I must say that this is a very tired looking hotel and does not represent value for money when set against the other Cardiff hotels. The food served in the restaurant is rather predictable and unimaginative and very clearly micro-waved. They appear to add a ten percent serve charge to absolutely everything that you may charge to your room whether you authorise it or not. Charging a service charge for a drink that you order that bar is excessive when the person as simply had to place the drink on the bar. In the restaurant the waiting staff will be keen to offer “rustic bread” and not inform you that there is an additional charge for this micro-waved rubbish and over priced food. This really is a low quality over priced hotel and there are plenty of considerably better places to stay in Cardiff. Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank pz901
keegoCardiff, Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2010

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments in regard to your visit.

First and foremost please accept my apologies that you did not fully enjoy your stay.

I would appreciate it if you could contact me directly to discuss the issues in fuller detail so that we may learn from our shortfalls and gain more insight into the others areas in which you believe we could improve but have not mentioned.

Regards

Reviewed 26 October 2010

This is a great hotel, very near city centre.
Room was clean, bathroom bit squashy but overall I would give it the thumbs up!
Drinks are quite expensive at the bar, we didn't eat at hotel but seemed to be quite expensive for food. Internet use in lobby is too expensive also.
Staff were helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
keegoCardiff, Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2010

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, feedback is grately appreciated.

I am pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay in the hotel and in Cardiff . I look forward to be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 14 October 2010

Spent just one night for a visit to Welsh National Opera. Booked an executive room which was quite worn and could do with refurbishing. More importantly our sleep was quite disturbed by the noise of the lift. So executive room certainly not worth the extra. Would not use again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cookie5825

First and foremost please accept my sincere apologies you did not fully enjoy your stay.

I have taken note of your comments and your reticence to return. However should you re-consider please feel free to contact me prior to your arrival, so that I can personally ensure you enjoy your stay.

Reviewed 12 October 2010

Stayed here for 2 nights, the room was clean had everything needed, food in the restaurant was very good as was the breakfast buffet. The staff were very friendly and helpful and still made sure we got dinner even when we came back late 1 night. Location is excellent being very close to the railway station and not very far to walk into town for any restaurants and bars.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
keegoCardiff, Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2010

Thank you taking time to post a comment in regard to our stay.

I was pleased to learn you enjoyed the experience and look forward to be able to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn and Cardiff again in the future.

Reviewed 29 August 2010

This was my first time at a Holiday Inn, so my review is based on comparison with other 3 star hotel chains at which I've stayed. Staff were very professional, courteous and keen to assist. Parking was fine, surprisingly so for a bank holiday weekend. Parking charges were much more reasonable than other car parks in Cardiff.

In terms of food, I only had breakfast in the hotel. This was of a similar quality to the buffet style breakfasts I've had in 4 star hotels. The variety on offer was excellent. Price was comparable to other hotels in Cardiff.

I bought a bottle of water from the bar to take to my room. Price was again similar to other hotel bars. If I had to find a negative, would have liked there to be an ice machine available for guests' use.

The room was pleasantly spacious for a single, with a wonderful view of the millenium stadium. The bed was fabulously comfortable, and a very generous single size. Parts of the decor in the bedroom and the bathroom looked a little worn, but it was very clean, on the whole. When I got in the shower, it became apparent that staff had not been as stringent cleaning mould from tiles that weren't visible from the rest of the bathroom and around the shower fixture, but that's a small grumble. The water pressure in the shower was fantastic. Little extras made this much more than a 3 star experience - choice of pillows, extra towels in the room, an offer to supply forgotten toiletries for free.

If you go on a weekend in summer, be aware that there may be weddings or functions. The hotel was reverberating with music until midnight. However, I think that kind of noise is to be expected in any hotel during the wedding season.

There are roadworks outside the hotel, and I can imagine these would be confusing for visitors who don't know Cardiff, but it didn't interfere with my stay. I sat in the bar at the front of the hotel, and heard no noise from the roadworks. Excellent doubleglazing!

The hotel is very close the the shopping centre and nightlife centre of cardiff, so there are loads of shops, bars and restaurants to choose from if you don't want to pay hotel prices. Despite being so close to the nightclub district, the hotel was a relative oasis of calm after I returned from the chaos that is St. Mary's Street in full swing on a Saturday night. (And unlike some other three star hotel chains I've stayed at, there were no loud gangs of stag do's, hen do's, nightclubbers or party goers roaming the corridors until the early hours.)

Whilst in decor and price this is a 3 star hotel, I found the attention to detail and service offered to guests rivalled many four star hotels I've stayed in. I will definitely use this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Tyleri
keegoCardiff, Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2010

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments in regard to your visit.

I am happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to be able to welcome you back in the future. I was very pleased to note that you found my colleagues professional, courteous and keen to assist.

Reviewed 29 August 2010

I spent 3 nights at the Holiday Inn in Cardiff with my girlfriend, her mother, sister and her partner for 3 nights away. The location is very close to the shops, bars and restaurant. It is also next door to the Millenium stadium. It has it's own car park which is £10 for 24hrs which isn't too bad.
The hotel throughout appeared to be clean and tidy.
On check-in we were asked if we would be eating breakfast at the hotel which would be an extra £9 per person per morning. Most hotels of this price that I have been to include the breakfast. We decided not to pay for the breakfast at the hotel and go across the road to Wetherspoons where I could have pretty much anything for £3-£4.
I then asked about Internet access in the room and was told that it would be £15 per 24 hours. Taking into account that we were there for 3 nights that would have added £45 to the bill. I didn't need to use the Internet a lot, just for emails and googling tourist activites, restaurants and bars so we just ended up using our smart phones for that. We found some vouchers for discounts at certain chain restaurants that we needed to print out. When we asked the hotel they told us that they didn't have a printer that we could use and would have to go to the library which was next door to John Lewis. The library is a nice, modern building with friendly staff. They gave free Internet access and charged 20p per print which was a fair price to pay. It seemed as though a few people there had the same idea and were printing out restaurant discount vouchers too.
The hotel had no fitness facilities or pool.
Before we went out one evening we decided to buy a drink from the hotel bar. 3 drinks = £16.40. Very expensive for a couple of glasses of wine and a beer.
Back to the room...... the room was clean, the bed was very comfortable and had some really good sleep. There was a lack of plug sockets, I think there were 2 available for use. We had 2 phones, camera batteries, hair straighteners and a laptop to plug in so we were constantly having to climb under the dresser to switch plugs. The bathroom was quite small but again clean, air conditioning worked well and there was an old style philips hotel style CRT TV as opposed to one of the more recent flat screens.
I know that I have said both positive and negative things about this hotel but I have tried to give a real life review stating all observations that might be of use to anyone reading this.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family

I was pleased to note that you found the hotel comfortable and clean . I will also take your comments about the cost for extras into account when next conducting a pricing review.

Kind regards