“overpriced”

Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre
Ranked #21 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 23 November 2010

Having stayed in 3 hotels recently i would say the Holiday Inn was the worst for value.We booked a double room and got 2 single bed pushed together!The tv picture was so poor it gave us headaches.Two drinks in the bar came to over £8,breakfasts are £10 even though wetherspoons over the road charge £3.99 for a massive full english which is superb.Our keycard failed to work.Our room was by the road and even though it was double glazed,the noise was high.Having stayed in a premier inn the previous week i could honestly find no difference only double the price

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank stokie108
keegoCardiff, Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2010

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments in regard to your recent visit.

I have now had the opportunity to review your comments and would respond;

Bedding: you were allocated one of our larger rooms with a zip link king bed, which most find delivers a great night sleep. We would have been more than happy to switch your room to a smaller double bedded room if requested.

TV: although of no consolation to you we are currently changing our whole system to provide 32" full HD in each room with interactive film systems, 40 channels and built in High Speed Internet Access.

Bar prices: our bar prices are comparable with other hotel bars in Cardiff.Our Callaghans Pub is also available to our guests with high street pub prices.

Room pricing: nearly all hotels charge daily pricing dependant on demand.

Once again thank you for your comments and trust despite these you enjoyed your stay in Cardiff.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre

Reviewed 17 November 2010

Have stayed here a couple of times on business. Great location for the city centre and train station. Room good size, had a large double bed which was very comfortable. Staff in reception very friendly. Disappointment came in the restaraunt - had dinner which was pub grub at best, looked like frozen chips and the steak pie looked microwaved - restaraunt was not busy so the quality of the food was a real let down, another diner looked like he returned his because it was cold. Asked for mustard, by the time it came I'd almost finished. Plus I got charged 10% for the drink from the bar - what's that about! Only had one drink - far too expensive, next time I'll probably eat out. Next morning I thought the breakfast may rescue the day but it was cold and tasteless. I real let down.
Overall a comfortable hotel in a good location but perhaps you should eat out.

1  Thank CheshireMatt
keegoCardiff, Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2010

I was pleased to note your comments about your stay at the hotel but concerned to hear that the restaurant service did not match that of the hotel.

I will be discussing your experience with the Hotel Managers to see what lessons we can take from your comments.

Once again thank you for your custom and comments.

Reviewed 14 November 2010

Good value hotel in a central location, we had a good view looking over at the Millenium stadium, directly opposite the castle, will intend to stay at this hotel again, my only complaint would be after paying £10.95 a night to watch tv the picture was so poor you could not watch it, did complain at check out and told them to check our tv, plus i wrote this on the bill when checking out, yet they still charged my card with £21.90 for tv that could not be watched, so be warned if you are thinking about paying for the extra channels.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
keegoCardiff, Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2010

Thank you for taking the time to post your comment in regard to your recent visit.

I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay, however I note your comments quality of the TV service and billing. Although of no consolation to you we are totally upgrading our system to offer the best in TV HD based entertainment. This should be in place by February 2011.

Once again thank you for taking time to post your comments and should you be returning to Cardiff please feel free to contact me prior to your arrival.

Regards

Reviewed 14 November 2010

I was booked into the Holiday Inn on business - unfortunately my stay coincided with a rugby match that paralysed the centre of Cardiff & dominated the hotel to the point where the foyer and restaurant became an extension of the bar and had at least 3 large screens replaying the match loudly so it could be heard over the noise from the drinkers.

There was no alternative provision for the significant number of guests who were nothing to do with the match except the limited room service menu and although I was told they would not make a tray charge, I'm sure you can guess what happened. Yes, on checking out there was a service charge because I has asked for water with my meal & they had made a bar charge on the bottle (which already cost £1.75!) Eventually the charge was waived.

Not impressed with the lack of customer service.

1  Thank Divadarling
Reviewed 8 November 2010

We were the lucky ones, we had the room with a perfect view of the Millenium! The beds were very comfortable, nice rooms but something happened to my unopened bottle of wine...
I would of rated it higher if the staff weren't so grumpy'.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
keegoCardiff, Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2010

I was pleased to note you enjoyed your stay and would be grateful if you could contact me directly so I can get more detail from you.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 7 November 2010

Having stayed here a few times I must say that this is a very tired looking hotel and does not represent value for money when set against the other Cardiff hotels. The food served in the restaurant is rather predictable and unimaginative and very clearly micro-waved. They appear to add a ten percent serve charge to absolutely everything that you may charge to your room whether you authorise it or not. Charging a service charge for a drink that you order that bar is excessive when the person as simply had to place the drink on the bar. In the restaurant the waiting staff will be keen to offer “rustic bread” and not inform you that there is an additional charge for this micro-waved rubbish and over priced food. This really is a low quality over priced hotel and there are plenty of considerably better places to stay in Cardiff. Stay somewhere else.

4  Thank pz901
keegoCardiff, Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2010

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments in regard to your visit.

First and foremost please accept my apologies that you did not fully enjoy your stay.

I would appreciate it if you could contact me directly to discuss the issues in fuller detail so that we may learn from our shortfalls and gain more insight into the others areas in which you believe we could improve but have not mentioned.

Regards

Reviewed 26 October 2010

This is a great hotel, very near city centre.
Room was clean, bathroom bit squashy but overall I would give it the thumbs up!
Drinks are quite expensive at the bar, we didn't eat at hotel but seemed to be quite expensive for food. Internet use in lobby is too expensive also.
Staff were helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
keegoCardiff, Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2010

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, feedback is grately appreciated.

I am pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay in the hotel and in Cardiff . I look forward to be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind Regards