“Don't expect any food!”

Jolyon's at No. 10
Ranked #8 of 44 Cardiff B&B and Inns
“Don't expect any food!”
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We visited the bar as a group of six on Saturday night all from Cardiff having visited the place previously for drinks. We went for a drink and some bar food arriving at about 8 p.m. The menu showed a good choice and prices were also good we all made our selections, it was very busy and the bar man ( may have been manager ) advised that we wait for the crowd to clear as there were mostly for a party elsewhere in the hotel. The crowd thinned a little but it remained busy but not such that we couldn't get a table.at 8.45 we approached the bar again to order food and the bar person said she would come to the table, at 9.10 she came to the table to tell us the chef had closed the kitchen as it was too busy and we could not have food as he can't cope!! , the manner basically was tough we are busy, not even thank you for trying us. We phoned Diner 77 a local restaurant nearby we have used and they accommodated us straight away even though they were busy where we stayed most welcome until 11.00. Not recommended for food, I normally give second chances but the manner of our brush off means no, if you can't cope why operate a bar and food operation people do it all the time successfully

Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2012

I have been to jolyons in the bay years ago and loved it a small six bedroom hotel with a tiny bar in the basement. I was served an amazing breakfast cooked by jolyon. The breakfast was hot and sexy very much like jolyon!!

I decided to try the new hotel seeing I was doing some work in cardiff town. After Being checked into my room it was small but I did ask for the best price room. Fun wacky lights in the bath and sexy fittings just everything in the right place. I had my meeting that day and brought a few members of my work back too the bar for a few drinks. We where lucky and had our wine outside in the little court yard.

I just had too say my stay was very special and I will be back.

I did actually see jolyon feeding the fish early morning and he offered me another coffee he said he lives on it!!!

I will be back. Thank you

Room Tip: They also have rooms with Japanese baths. I want to try next time
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Emzabar
Jolyons10, Manager at Jolyon's at No. 10, responded to this review, 7 June 2012
Thank you so much for your review. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Next time Jolyon will personally make sure you have the plunge pool bath as you've made his day. Look forward to seeing you soon

with kind regards

Rhian
Beaconsfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Room not ready at 1.30pm. asked for snack which fair play did arrive. when room still not ready asked for tea and biscuits. No biscuits, fellow guest suggested I go across the road to the garage which sells biscuits so I did. Room adequate (Boutique it was not) Breakfast on Saturday took two hours. Ordered scrambled eggs on toast.Eggs came 30 mins later, toast had to be asked for again, it arrived separately15 mins later. Asked for marmalade to go with the precious toast. Sorry out of marmalade! Staff tried but are clearly not trained and no sign of any management. Very sad to see a new hotel opening which is so hopelessly wrong on almost all counts from the reception area in the garage parking area to the so called lounge/bar, "cuddles" in Welsh I think. Ugh!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank john p
Jolyons10, Manager at Jolyon's at No. 10, responded to this review, 7 June 2012
Thank you very much for your review. It is always good to hear what our guests think, even if it isn’t always good. I would like to apologise for the service you received especially at breakfast. We have taken your comments seriously and have implemented further training for breakfast and reception staff. I would like to however say that check in is at 3pm and when you arrived at 1.30pm we gave you refreshments and endeavour to get you to your room ready as soon as possible before check in time. Customer service is important to us and we strive to make everyone fell at home with us.
London
Reviewed 21 May 2012

We had high hopes of 'boutique' hotel Jolyons at Number 10 after reading a very positive review in The Times. It's only been open for nine months but there's a lot to do before it can earn its boutique stars.

Let's start with the positives - good bed, nice linen, good breakfast, spacious rooms (we had a deluxe room) and it's very near the city centre and next to a park.

Unfortunately, the whole place was let down by too many basic mistakes. When we arrived, we were asked if we'd booked a car parking space - which we hadn't as no-one had told us we needed to when we booked months before. There are only 6 spaces and they were expecting 10 cars that evening. Mmmhh....after a bit of jollying (and the fact that we only have a small car), we managed to park but it would have been useful to be warned in advance.

Lighting...the hotel prides itself on its mood lighting. All very well, very stylish but there's nowhere you can put make up on or shave either in the room or in the bathroom - especially as one of the overhead bulbs in the bathroom was not working.

Bathrooms...the step into the bathroom from the room was positively dangerous. The hand basin is so shallow that I got splashed through more than once. The 'designer' shampoo and shower gel bottles are not conveniently set for the bath or for the shower. My husband likes 'proper soa'p rather than gels but there wasn't any (fortunately I had some in my toilet bag). The handbasin is set so low (at about thigh level and I'm not tall) that you have to stoop low to wash your hands or brush your teeth. There's a terrific overhead power shower but no shower screen, therefore guaranteeing the bathroom floor gets soaked.

Breakfast....it's supposed to start at 8.30 am on Saturdays and Sundays but on both days the room was not ready when we arrived and I was summarily dismissed with a 'Breakfast doesn't start before 8.30' when I arrived a few minutes early on the Sunday - to be honest, a 'I'm sorry we're not ready yet but would you like to sit down and have a tea or a coffee?' would have gone down much better. There were some good croissants on the Saturday but none on the Sunday. Twice my husband asked for brown sauce and twice he got it so late he'd finished his breakfast. There were no napkins on our table on our second morning and even though the breakfast girl had some, she used them for the other empty tables, never offering us some - then ran out of them! The coffee was OK on the first day (it's percolated coffee transferred into Moroccan-style individual coffee pots, no chance one could get a double espresso or a macchiato here) but weak and watery on the second day.

We couldn't find an iPad docking station anywhere (it's mentioned in the brochure/website, if I remember correclty).

The place can be very noisy if there's a function on or if your bedroom is above the bar.

The receptionist was rarely on duty when we needed her and certainly not when checking out (there's a note saying one should contact the breakfast staff to check out). The staff don't seem to know what they're doing and have obviously not been properly trained. The place is in dire need of a professional manager to get it shipshape and then it might deserve the 'boutique hotel' tag it aspires to.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank caratania
Jolyons10, Manager at Jolyon's at No. 10, responded to this review, 7 June 2012
Thank you very much for your review. I appreciate your comments and would like to apologise for some aspects of your review; however others we feel we would like to defend.

Our website clearly states that there is limited parking and booking is advised, the staff were endeavouring to be helpful and fit your car in. There is Cardiff County Council owned Car park at the rear of the hotel. Our car park can hold up to approx 10 cars but it is difficult to manoeuvre, so we advise only 6 cars and these are to be booked on making reservation. We also have Ipod docking stations not Ipad, these are available on request for guests staying in our Suites. However we would have been delighted to help you out.

The mood/ comfort lighting in the bathrooms is there if guests do not wish to put the main light on in the middle of the light. We advise that the normal lights are used at all other times. We apologise for the light bulb not working but sometime after we have checked the rooms light bulbs still blow. We would have instantly changes the bulb had we have been informed. All our bathrooms are different and individually styled, some have plunge pool baths some cave colour therapy, not one bathroom is the same.

Our soaps are locally sourced eco-friendly luxury products, the majority of our guests love it and the added bonus is that there are animal friendly.

Once again I would like to apologise for the service you received at breakfast and we have since implemented further training for reception and breakfast staff. However I am glad to hear that you were happy with the breakfast.

We are always striving to improve on our quality and service, and as a manager I am grateful for any helpful comments. Thank you.
Reviewed 28 April 2012 via mobile

A very enjoyable stay. Staff extremely friendly and helpful. Can't wait for the next visit.

• Stayed April 2012
Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We were visiting from Hastings, and we stopped off here on spec, simply because my son is also called Jolyon and we simply thought it would be fun to take photographs and have a quick drink here! However, we were so charmed by the staff and the ambience of the hotel (and its bar!) that we will definitely be visiting again! Its close proximity to the shopping centre and Cardiff castle makes it an ideal place to stay, and we were so taken by the place, that we went and visited its sister hotel over in Cardiff Bay, which is also fabulously placed and well worth a visit! Special thanks to James and Jenna, who were so hospitable and friendly!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank marilla_miles
Jolyons10, Manager at Jolyon's at No. 10, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Thank you very so much for your lovely review, it was a pleasure to meet you and we look forward to seeing you again. Best Wishes Jolyon's at No 10
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Friendly little place, fairly handy for the city centre but not disabled friendly there is a lift but quite a few stairs. Don't be fooled by the car parking - anything bigger than a mini would give any driver real problems manouevering!
Front door straight into a friendly bar - with nice drinking area out front on roadside, which is great if that is what you want. The rooms are very individual and very nicely presented but the downside can be tiny quirky bathrooms. Terrific square bath/shower but take care stepping in and out. Free wifi too - nice touch.

Room Tip: best away from the road
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank TJD744
Thank you for your lovely review. Please come back and visit us soon.
with kind regards