“unique gem of a hotel!”

Ranked #8 of 44 Cardiff B&B and Inns
cardiff
“unique gem of a hotel!”
Reviewed 7 August 2012

I booked a surprise birthday treat for my partner last weekend and we had a lovely stay! Fantastic value - the drinks , food, room and service were impeccable. Never mest such friendly staff! Would definitely go again - the only ctriticism is that the corridors and room were very stuffy - apart from that everything was perfect! Highly recommended!

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Jolyons10, Manager at Jolyon's at No. 10, responded to this review, 16 August 2012
Thank you very much for the lovely review. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay, I hope to seeing you again soon

Rhian Jones

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Great cosy hotel. Very friendly helpful staff, especially Josh who couldn't do enough for us.
The only down side was the room was a bit stuffy with no way to cool it down apart from opening the windows which didn't do a lot.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 3 August 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel, it was a great location for the millenium stadium which was why we were visiting Cardiff.

I called the day before to confirm they had my reservation as I was a bit worried after reading other reviews on Trip Advisor that we might have booked the wrong hotel (Cardiff Bay instead of Cardiff centre) and the lady who answered the phone was very difficult to understand, spoke poor English and was distinctly unhelpful, telling me they didnt have my reservation. I managed to persuade her to check the 'other hotel' although this must happen to them all the time and their website is so unclear. In the end she found my booking by listing off the names of every guest with bookings and I heard my own name and said 'thats me!' but it was a bit stressful and I just can't understand why they would have her answering the phones as everyone we came into contact with at the hotel was fantastic and she let the side down.

Once we got there, the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, they made us feel very welcome, the room was nice, we were upgraded to a suite and only paid £74 per night which was a real bargain, it was immaculately decorated as if it had been recenly done, it was all very clean and pleasant. I've stayed in far more expensive hotels which haven't been as nice.

The only downside was the musty smell which was quite strong but we kept the windows open for a couple of days and it got better.

I'm very fussy about pillows and nearly always take my own but forgot and found them really comfy and so was the bed. We didnt hear any noise from other residents and it was very peaceful despite having the windows open, we didnt hear any traffic noise.

Breakfast was nice but I didnt realise it wasn't included in the price and after paying £12 each the first morning we found a fabulous cafe in the centre where a full English was £3.95 and just as good!

We had lunch in the bar when we arrived which was tasty and the staff were very relaxed in a good way but also attentive and friendly, giving us tips for where to go in Cardiff etc.
We ordered room service and again the food was good.

I would definitely stay here again if we were visiting Cardiff.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2012 via mobile

Stayed at Jolyons on 1st August being in Cardiff to watch team gb excellent location nice hotel nice bar well trained staff. Stayed in a compact room too small really but ok for 1 night. The only downside was the price 90 pounds too much for a tiny room and no breakfast (this is normal price not hiked up for Olympics)

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Linda C
Jolyons10, Manager at Jolyon's at No. 10, responded to this review, 27 November 2012
Thank you very much for your review. We hope to see you again soon.

With kind regards

Jolyon's at No 10
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I enjoyed my stay so much that I have re booked for another 2 nights in August! The staff have customer service skills that most other hotels can only dream of. The rooms are decorated with an eclectic mix of furnishings that create a really unique feel. The beds and pillows were very comfortable. The breakfast was gorgeous with quality produce cooked to a high standard. Sitting outside in the sunshine it was easy to relax. I would highly recommend a stay here for anyone looking for something close to Cardiff Centre but a short cheap taxi journey to Cardiff Bay- Perfect!
See you again in a couple of weeks.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you very much for the lovely review. We look forward to seeing you agin soon.

Reviewed 25 July 2012 via mobile

on the surface this looks a good join. but underneath its just a bit plastic. nothing feels solid. there is an old fridge in a wardrobe as a mini bar and the tv screens in the suite lounge and bed room were designed for mice (too small to see). it is impossible to work at the desk as A) the chair is about 1 foot too low and B) the power socket is on the other side of the room. BUT the wireless is great. I don't think the owners or designers have ever stayed in a hotel. it is July 2012 and it is summer, but in my suit it is now almost 30-c. there is no Air con and few opening windows. glad I am not footing the bill

Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Ammanford, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2012

Had a lovely relaxing weekend in Jolyons. The room was fantastic and the venue close to the city centre which was ideal. Staff were polite and helpful and nothing was too much for either Rhian or James. Food in the bar was lovely with a good atmosphere. Looking forward to our next stay, may even bring the kids along!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple