“With a little work it could be great”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Jolyon's at No. 10

Jolyon's at No. 10
Ranked #7 of 46 Cardiff B&B and Inns
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“With a little work it could be great”
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Stayed one night, room was furnished nicely but rather oddly arranged. Lots of wasted space.Bathroom not big enough for a full size bath so half size bath(why bother?!) and waterfall overhead shower.Neither worked well in the room as the shower screen didn't prevent water spraying everywhere. Rather alarming to realise that unless blind pulled right down you were able to be seen from neighbouring office blocks! Nice towels and toiletries but clearly not been thought through as a bathroom by the designers/owners.. Definitely style over sense here
Bed was lovely, nice linen, rather warm so a fan would have been a great addition to get some air flow but I do realise Cardiff weather doesn't justify spending on aircon and the underfloor heating etc would have been great in winter. No bedside table one side of the bed which was a little odd
We went to eat in the bar but they'd run out of several things(inc steak) and offered a "special" which sounded like a series of small portions of things they didn't have enough to serve up as full portions -most strange!
Anyway we went to the mochyn du a short walk away on the advice of the staff and enjoyed a nice evening there.
Such a shame it didn't live up to the promise of the reputation/website.. Nice stay, wouldn't be put off returning but for a supposed "boutique" hotel it really needs some work to put it into that category. We skipped breakfast next day, it wasn't included anyway and decided we'd rather stay in bed!

• Stayed August 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 11 August 2012

This hotel is fantastic. Everything was comfortable and clean. The bathoom was great, with a nice big tub. The staff couldn't have been more helpful, first with saving me a spot in the car park and then upgrading my room. Everything is withing close walking distance. I would definitely return.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Jolyons10, Manager at Jolyon's at No. 10, responded to this review, 16 August 2012
Thank you very much for the lovely review. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay

Operational Manager
wales
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Where to begin ? This has to count as one of the worst eating experiences known to mankind - myself and my wife ordered x 2 meals which took an age to arrive and when they came were inedible. Couples and families all around refused to pay and demanded a refund and or walked out. ( Friday 10th august ) - simply awful and avoid at all costs.

Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Gareth08
Jolyons10, Owner at Jolyon's at No. 10, responded to this review, 16 August 2012
Thank you for the review. Where to start! I would like to apologise for the wait and food that you received. The unprecedented wait for food was due to the Olympic football match in the millennium stadium, which is only a stone throw away from the hotel.

There was a problem with the kitchen, I am very sorry for this. It has now been resolved. I would like to invite you back to show you what we can do as my personal guest.

So sorry again

With kind regards

Jolyon Joseph
Director
Cardiff
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Bought a Voucher deal for Afternoon Tea at Jolyons. Good food & customer care & service was wonderful. Gareth the Chef was wonderfully accomodating but the true 'STAR' of the afternoon was Jade the waitress who served us. She was absolutely delightful & made the afternoon a real success. A lovely young woman that delivered on every request with a smile & there was not anything that was too much trouble for her.
Would thoroughly recommend Jolyons for tea (sit in the alcove at the cwtch side for total privacy) & would recommend asking when Jade is on duty to ensure a delightful afternoon.

Room Tip: Sit at side of bar in the cwtch for a really relaxing time
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank AngelSwansea
Jolyons10, Manager at Jolyon's at No. 10, responded to this review, 22 September 2012
Thank you very much for your lovely review. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

cardiff
Reviewed 7 August 2012

I booked a surprise birthday treat for my partner last weekend and we had a lovely stay! Fantastic value - the drinks , food, room and service were impeccable. Never mest such friendly staff! Would definitely go again - the only ctriticism is that the corridors and room were very stuffy - apart from that everything was perfect! Highly recommended!

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for the lovely review. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay, I hope to seeing you again soon

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Great cosy hotel. Very friendly helpful staff, especially Josh who couldn't do enough for us.
The only down side was the room was a bit stuffy with no way to cool it down apart from opening the windows which didn't do a lot.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 3 August 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel, it was a great location for the millenium stadium which was why we were visiting Cardiff.

I called the day before to confirm they had my reservation as I was a bit worried after reading other reviews on Trip Advisor that we might have booked the wrong hotel (Cardiff Bay instead of Cardiff centre) and the lady who answered the phone was very difficult to understand, spoke poor English and was distinctly unhelpful, telling me they didnt have my reservation. I managed to persuade her to check the 'other hotel' although this must happen to them all the time and their website is so unclear. In the end she found my booking by listing off the names of every guest with bookings and I heard my own name and said 'thats me!' but it was a bit stressful and I just can't understand why they would have her answering the phones as everyone we came into contact with at the hotel was fantastic and she let the side down.

Once we got there, the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, they made us feel very welcome, the room was nice, we were upgraded to a suite and only paid £74 per night which was a real bargain, it was immaculately decorated as if it had been recenly done, it was all very clean and pleasant. I've stayed in far more expensive hotels which haven't been as nice.

The only downside was the musty smell which was quite strong but we kept the windows open for a couple of days and it got better.

I'm very fussy about pillows and nearly always take my own but forgot and found them really comfy and so was the bed. We didnt hear any noise from other residents and it was very peaceful despite having the windows open, we didnt hear any traffic noise.

Breakfast was nice but I didnt realise it wasn't included in the price and after paying £12 each the first morning we found a fabulous cafe in the centre where a full English was £3.95 and just as good!

We had lunch in the bar when we arrived which was tasty and the staff were very relaxed in a good way but also attentive and friendly, giving us tips for where to go in Cardiff etc.
We ordered room service and again the food was good.

I would definitely stay here again if we were visiting Cardiff.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple