“Wonderful hotel”

Ranked #7 of 44 Cardiff B&B and Inns
United Kingdom
“Wonderful hotel”
Reviewed 19 October 2012

This is the second time myself and my husband have stayed at this hotel, and I cannot fault it, the staff there are excellent, our special thanks go out to Rhian, but can't fault any of the other staff, they were extremely helpful and nothing was too much trouble for them. I can't quite understand the bad reviews that are here for this hotel, we will definitely go there again, actually my friend has already booked it way in advance for out little trip to Cardiff next year for the 6 nations Grand Slam final Wales v. England, so look out Jolyons, us three girls can't wait. So convenient for the Millennium Stadium as well, I had a meeting there this week, and for the shops. So what more can you want. Thank you very much to all at Jolyons, two very happy customers this week :-)

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2012

This Hotel is in a really good poistion for sightseeing. It is small boutique Hotel with just 21 rooms.
The staff are friendly and go out of their way to be helpful. Rhian gave helpful suggestions as to
Restaurants and details of sightseeing tours and handed out a great Map of Cardiff.
Will certainly book this hotel again .

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are a little quieter
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Wales
Reviewed 6 October 2012

I cannot thank the team at Jolyon's enough for such a beautiful weekend. My partner and I stayed at the hotel last weekend for my brother's wedding. My brother and his wife had their wedding meal and party in the White Room at Jolyon's - what can I say?! The venue was perfect for their wedding celebrations, so trendy and modern but relaxing and comfortable. The White Room is a really lovely light and sunny room. The food for the wedding was gorgeous, as was the beautiful cooked breakfast the next morning!! Rhian and the team were faultless, nothing was too much for them, they helped to ensure that the day ran smoothly for my brother and his bride and they were so friendly and efficient. My partner and I stayed in the Aylesbury Suite; a beautiful, spacious, modern suite with a lovely bathroom and super comfy bed. The staff kept stocking us up with plenty of tea and coffee which was fab! Lots of friends and family travelled far and wide to attend my brother's wedding and they all thought the hotel was a very special place! Thank you for such a great weekend, we will definitely be back to stay!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Jolyons10, Manager at Jolyon's at No. 10, responded to this review, 5 February 2013
Thank you very much for your lovely review. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Rhian
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Jolyons at number 10 has got all the important things right. We were met in the car park by a smiley young woman who helped us with our considerable luggage.. The staff are genuinely friendly, helpful, flexible and efficient. Particular thanks to Rhian, but the cleaners, the bar staff the receptionists and the staff at breakfast made us feel welcome.
There are really comfortable beds and a bar with a bit of character. Breakfast was in a lovely airy and light room overlooking the park. This makes the location perfect – in the city but great for a stroll. After staying in a bland and expensive corporate chain hotel the night before it made our stay at Jolyons even more enjoyable.
We’ll be back.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Rhian
Bristol UK
Reviewed 30 September 2012 via mobile

Went to this "place" for afternoon tea ! More BHS 1970 than 2001 afternoon tea.
Ok we did go on a Living Social deal but I thought that the idea of deals such as this one was to impress and entice one to visit again . Well they failed !
The cakes were unimaginative (boring) Sandwiches even more unimaginative . Presentation ???
There was no effort to present .
However !!! The champagne was really good and the service was pleasant enough.
Ambiance of the bar/cafe/lounge .??? Undecided.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2012

I stayed here recently and had a wonderful time. The front of the hotel reminds me of a swiss chalet, but the inside is definatley more of a plush tardis, with far more rooms than you'd expect.

The lounge bar is currently where you eat but I'm told that this is going to change and a new restaurant is planned for the back of the hotel. This will make a good addition to the hotel and broden it's apeal I think. Tho I enjoyed the atmosphere of the bar I can see why some may not, so watch this space, we'll be back to try it out.

The staff are very good they seem very natural in the way they serve you, attentive but not overly so, it makes you feel welcome and wanted. The NEW MENU, we were told it was New!, was excellent, I had the Potted Crab, and Sirloin Steak, both of which were very good, steak just as I like it. My friend had the Sashimi of Martinated Salmon and the Gin and Tonic Fish and Chips, you did hear right!!! it was wonderful, and well worth a try. We both had desserts as well with homemade ice cream.

The room was comfortable, we had the Orpington Suite, it was a treat for us for working hard. The room was well set out and had a mini bar, with dishes and slasses etc. We also had a 'Plunge Pool', which was good fun.

I know this hotel has had some bad reviews but we had an excelent experiance and would advise anyone to stay here. Well Done....

Room Tip: I'd choose the 'Orpington Suite'
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends

Jolyon's at No 10
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2012 via mobile

This place looks the part when you walk in. I had booked for a birthday celebration on the back of an article recommendation in one of the Cardiff magazines.

The styling is very impressive. However I thought it was meant to be more of a restaurant than a pub with a pub menu.

Upon ordering the steak, I noted it should have been with 3 times cooked chips, vine tomatoes and field mushrooms- sounds good, right??

Wrong- when it appeared, it looked like something out of a greasy spoon cafe. There were no vine tomatoes or field mushrooms, just a big old tasteless part cooked tomato with the steak and a few chips.

Upon questioning the staff, I was offered two excuses, 1- there was a wedding upstairs so all the ingredients had been used for that food and 2- they were a chef down?!
Simple- don't attempt to serve food that will wreck your reputation and credibility.

Do not bother booking here, I might give it a passing glance if I simply wanted say a lunch to stop me feeling hungry and I wasn't that bothered about taste or presentation. Certainly don't plan to have a celebratory meal here- you will be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2012