“Nice, good value”

Ranked #8 of 44 Cardiff B&B and Inns
north wales
“Nice, good value”
Reviewed 25 January 2013

We booked a suite last minute for two nights. The room was nice and clean and very comfortable,although some of the furniture seemed quite mismatched. Breakfast was good and more than enough. We couldn't eat on the first night due to staffing problems? But we're directed to a pub around the corner. We managed to get a meal on our second night which was excellent. The bar area is quite cosy with a log fire but we did have smoky clothing! The parking is very restrictive, so if you value your car it may be worth thinking of an alternative. Overall though, we would book again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Jolyons10, Owner at Jolyon's at No. 10, responded to this review, 15 February 2013
Thankyou for review

since your review we have now added a damper to the fire so when the doors are opened the smell doesnt spill out as much .. i love the smell so its my fault.

I agree about the parking it is tight I wish we could have more space but sadly not damm inner city. There is 400 parking spaces behind our hotel cardiff council own these on meter we are trying to get a deal with them. I think its a good idea to come by train. maybe when you stay next time with us you might want to use a hire bike from us and go for a leasure ride up the side of the taff (the Taff trail ) also a lovley tea rooms has opened really worth a stop.

Take care and thank you again

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Stratford upon Avon
Reviewed 24 January 2013 via mobile

This is a commercial business , don't rush,it's primarily a business operation-the love is missing, our expectations for comfort, quality, relaxation and value were not found here. Our bedroom was hot and noisy, above a disco. The breakfast room and breakfast was lacked any style or quality. We were hugely disappointed.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Philip E
Jolyons10, Owner at Jolyon's at No. 10, responded to this review, 14 February 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review. Sadly I see you are not happy.

I have looked in to your booking and i see you have booked under (a living social offer) We set this deal with living social so people could get a good taste of our hotel. The room offer is subject to availability you have had a doulbe room all our rooms have different spec the room you had was a doulbe with compact bath. If we new I am sure we would of upgraded you to a room with a big bath like some of the other rooms have. Me being over 6ft 4 also would like this. The suites on on website have a mini bar kitchen and robes in the room (not in the doubles)

with regards to the meal I have now recruited a few more staff and made alot of changes regards to service I am really sorry you felt you didnt have good service. The meal option is shown in th living social offer as this with an option to pay more if you wanted the other menue.

I pride myself on good service and a good atmosphere in the hotel and strive to improve it everyday.

We are now in the process of building a new food area and reception in the rear of the building.

As a gesture of good will I would like to offer you a meal on me when we open and to show you around the hotel and you can see what the other rooms look like

regards

jolyon joseph Owner

jolyon@jolyons.co.uk
Reviewed 15 January 2013

My wife and I celebrated her recent Birthday by staying at our favourite hotel. We had a wonderful time, the room was luxurious (with the most amazing jacuzzi bath) the staff attentive and I can't honestly see us staying anywhere else. I had heard that a new chef had recently been appointed and we were more than impressed with his menu. The goats cheese bruschetta was delicious as was the prawn linguine, and the homemade burgers with bacon and cheese I can't recommend enough. We had planned to go into the town centre for drinks but the bar was so warm and cosy we stayed on the sofas by the roaring fire and decided to stay at Bar Cwtch.
My birthday can't come soon enough so we can return.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
thank you so much its always a pleasure to see you when you arrive.

i cant wait to show you are new plans to extend the rear of the building dinnning area and new reception with a roof terrace to enjoy a drink or two!!

Take care your lovley guests
jolyon
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2013

A little gem just off the town centre, you will be sure of a very warm welcome and a comfortable stay. The rooms and bathrooms were fab, small criticism - no drawers to hide away bits so lovely room looked a bit messy in spite of our effots and no light over shaving mirror in bathroom, just central little tiny spotlights so husband shaved by guesswork! Also the room was really hot in spite of us turning off the radiator but the lovely staff, gorgeous breakfast and fantastic location more than made up for it! We left the car in the tiny car park and walked everywhere! We had a Living Social deal which included a two night stay with breakfasts and a two course meal in the comfortable and lively bar/resturant. A brilliant deal and fabulous value for money.

Room Tip: We had a fabulous walk in shower which really added to our experience. I would definitely request th...
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2013

Fantastic place to stay. I stayed here with my family for my brother's graduation and i have to say the decor in the bedrooms were what drawed us to staying there and did not disappoint. The staff were friendly, rooms were clean and the style beautiful, close to the town (we walked). Breakfast was great. LOVE the coloured lights in the bath!

Room Tip: we had two bedrooms between us and both looked amazing
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2013

At the time of writing, this hotel is ranked 22nd of 85 hotels in Cardiff (Premier Inn is ranked No. 1!). If this is the 22nd best hotel in Cardiff, then I'm Shakin' Stevens.

Without wittering on (see description of room for that) this is very well priced hotel, located perfectly for Bute Park; Cardiff Castle; The Millennium Stadium; Cardiif Arms Park; the main shopping streets (if you like that kind of thing), with charming and friendly staff, for whom nothing was too much trouble.

If you like small hotels with a bit of personality, with staff that also have personality, then I would be surprised if you could do any better in Cardiff.

(Ps. the initial low gradings seem to be mostly months ago, and focused on the food - after bringing this up, before booking, we were told they had made improvements in this area.

We found the food, and service, to be more adequate, and reasonable for the price.

Only complaint would be a too liberal use of salt - though we personally use salt sparingly.)

Room Tip: Orpington Suite - this is one of four suites located at the front of the hotel; it is on the first f...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2012

My partner & I came to Cardiff just for a night and was lucky to have found this hotel as we had checked out positive reviews. I can safely say that those reviews dont do it justice as we both thoroughly enjoyed our overnight stay here. The service from the brilliant staff was 5 star. From the porter to the very helpful lady on reception, we were both made to feel welcome and to enjoy our stay at their hotel. The room was absolutely gorgeous with a bathroom to match our high standards. Breakfast was lovely and again matched to a high standard.
Will give this hotel a high recommendation for anyone who wants to try an alternative to the common hotel chains in Cardiff. 5 star boutique hotel

Room Tip: 21 individual designed rooms so plenty of choice. bathroom with underfloor heating & night visi...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple