“Not a luxury stay, with quite a few disapointments...”
Review of Jolyon's at No. 10

Jolyon's at No. 10
Ranked #8 of 45 Cardiff B&B and Inns
Plymouth
“Not a luxury stay, with quite a few disapointments...”
Reviewed 9 February 2013

Okay, first off i would like to say that i went to this hotel on a half price living social deal, and although me and my partner were happy to pay the price we did, i really would feel ripped off if i went to this hotel and paid the full price, hence my reasoning for writing such a bad review.

The hotel states it is luxury, however apart from the nice furniture, in my opinion you really don't experience that 'luxury' that demands such a price tag.

Yes, the rooms are beautiful, it has a very cosy atmosphere and (for the most part) a friendly set of staff. However unfortunately i found myself experiencing many disappointments during my stay because i felt the advertising for this place on both the living social website and their own website was highly misleading.

First off, as i was staying in a 'luxury' double i was expecting a Jacuzzi bath or something a bit fancy- at least a full size bath, mainly because Jolyon's own website suggests that customers can expect this. Therefore when i opened the door to a half sized bath that my partner couldn't even use (he's 6ft tall) i was very disappointed. Also, there were no luxury bath products, bath robes or anything, in fact the bottles of shampoo etc are stapled to the wall so if you want a bubble bath you can forget about it! Worse still, the toilet had a dirty black ring within it and the basin was so 'contemporary' it couldn't be used without drenching you and definitely couldn't be filled up- how pointless.

I also expected there to be a mini bar, or at the very least a fridge in the room but instead there was a bottle of red on the sideboard with a price tag on it. Again I would have found this quite insulting if i had paid the full price, because at the end of the day luxury is about the small touches and going that extra mile.

The other main issue for me, and the part i found most misleading was the 2 course dinner that was offered in the deal i purchased. In all honestly Jolyon's own website and the living social website both suggested that venison and other luxury foods would be on offer at the establishment. However in reality i arrived in the restaurant on the first night to be told that the menu advertised was merely a 'sample' menu. Instead the choices were literally between: lamb stew, sausages and mash, a vegetarian pasta or fish and chips. The two other dishes which seemed slightly (and i mean slightly) more inspiring had sold out. I was horrified in all honesty, because i have seen better menu's offered at the local pub. Furthermore I would have raised a complaint had the waiter not been so rude (making both me and my partner feel uncomfortable), to the point we felt we couldn't. The most upsetting part was that as he (the waiter) silently handed us our dishes- spilling food all over me (and not apologising) - we then watched as he greeted all the other customers like old friends. It was really quite upsetting to be sat eating sausages and mash covered in gravy on my anniversary and really i can say i would have rather spent the event at home and cooked something for myself rather than be subjected to this for a fee.

Anyway, i would have complained or at least made some suggestions to the staff the next day but unfortunately our stay was cut short due to a family member going in to hospital. Because of this we didn't even sleep in the room for the following night, yet when we left in the middle of the night we weren't offered anything to subsidize this loss or even offered a drink while we were stood waiting for our taxi. Instead it seemed all the staff were happy to watch us stand outside for 15 minuets in the freezing January cold. I found this very rude and the establishment in general to be completely lacking in any knowledge of the hospitality trade.

So really i would like to warn members of the public that rather than get their hopes up (like i did) don't let the website lure you in to believing you will get a luxury experience if you pay the luxury price tag, because it simply won't be the case. In my experience i would have rather stayed at home than paid to be so disappointed, especially on such an important event.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Jolyons10, Owner at Jolyon's at No. 10, responded to this review, 20 February 2013
Thank you for writing a review I would like to comment on a few points you brought up and feel customer satisfaction is the main key and exceeding customers expectations. I am striving to do this and feel we are doing better everyday.

I see you booked a living social offer this actually offers you a room this room is not set this would be up to us before the booking unless you have asked or where offered an upgrade The room you where in was a double actually it is the picture used on our site jolyons10 also the bath room showing the Small french bath These are in the room instead of just a shower we have put a small bath in . The shower is an amazing power shower these are in all our rooms as standard. The hotel also has a varied selection of beds and baths from a plunge pool to a whirlpool bath. (even a wet room this is great for dda compliance as well) all the rooms have mood lights in them as well to help you see in the night if you didnt want to put the main lights on. (or relaxing mood lighting) You have mentioned you would of thought their would be several things It shows and says what would be in various rooms on the site. We put robes in our suites also a mini bar.

We try in the hotel to be as green as we can and enviromentally friendly this though should not stop luxury. the products on the wall by your shower are high end luxury (soap bubble bath and conditioner) these have been made in wales and also have won various awards . next to the sink hand cream and soap again provided (in the picture the room you had) you mention the sinks where not to what you like yes they are funky also are the taps and yes if you put the taps on full the pressure is very powerful . Maybe we should tell people on check in ?

You would see on your welcome host book that their is room service at no charge also any product you order from room service is charged at the price of the bar and not inflated. The bottle of wine that ws in the room actually is cheaper than the bar.

The food offering set by living social was a 5 satarter 5 main and 5 dessert with an option upgrade on the other menue this shows on the living social reference. Again If bad service was an issue I am sorry If the host was talking to another memeber of the public more than you. Again I have a new front of house manager who is taking more elliments into control

I am upset that you didnt ask a member of staff for a taxi if they where aware of this they have a number of a company and they would of called you one. We are actaully hoping to have a shuttle service soon. Didnt you want to order a taxi in the hotel instead of trying to flag a taxi?

I really want to improve standards and that extra mile I feel we are doing that I have taken one of your points ie living social that we also tell people more beofre check in and ask a few more questions . You where sent a confirmation of the room that states the type of room also.

again I wish you mentioned some of these points on the day we could of solved them for you

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 8 February 2013

We stayed here for one night, before Ireland v Wales rugby game. What a lovely boutique hotel : nice staff, nice rooms, lovely bar. We thoroughly enjoyed it, and found it the perfect spot to stay - close to town (10 minute walk maximum to the downtown nightlife) but far enough away that it's out of the core melee.

Great buzz there for Rugby internationals - would most definitely stay again for future trips.

Oh, and Ireland won :-)

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the suites. Massive!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Jolyons10, General Manager at Jolyon's at No. 10, responded to this review, 15 February 2013
many thanks for your trip advisor please stay with us again we are in the process of building a restaurant that we are really excited about. thanks again and hope to see you soon

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2013

We planned to celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary at No.10.......how perfect, how wrong could we have been

PRO's - Friendly staff, good location
CONS - No heating, No Hot water, Noisy Room, Noisy Bar, Not safe (Fire doors wedged open), average food.

after reading on the website that you can drop your bags off at the hotel before you check-in we thought we would take them up on the offer and set off early to arrive at 10:00. this way we would be sure to get one of the limited parking spaces as guest have to check-out by 10:00.
upon arrival, you have to ensure you pull right over to the right of the drive or you will not be able to press the intercom to open the barrier. We drove in with plenty of spaces (due to being early) and a young man ran out asking if we had booked. we said yes and asked if we could bring in our bags, he said its not worth it just leave them in the car. (Strange the website says they will look after them) ah well.....
We set off into Cardiff for some lunch and xmas shopping. Make sure you visit Pettigrew Tea Rooms by the castle grounds (you walk past them on the way into cardiff)
We got back to the Hotel at 3:00 ready for check-in. the staff were very pleasant and friendly. The lady showed us to our suite which overlooked the park behind. There were spider webs on the lamp shades. The room was freezing and we said it does not feel like a warm welcome she said the hotel has underfloor heating throughout and 'then' turned the underfloor heating on. The lady suggested that if we go down and buy a drink at the bar, by the time we return it will be warm. So we did, Sat in front of the 'open' log burner was quite nice but the smell off of it filled the room and our clothes stank!
we returned back to a cold room. After calling reception they sent up someone to check and suggested we go and have another drink at the bar (on the house)
after, we returned to our room and it was still cold. we rang down again. the daytime duty manger said the night time staff had turned down the thermostat which was in reception and it has turned down the whole hotel, please give it half an hour to now warm up.
Its December 14th our wedding anniversary, freezing outside and we were sat in the room with our coats on!
We were so fed up by now with the hotel that we went for a walk and even stopped in the Holiday Express to ask if they had any rooms available. They were full.
We returned yet again to a cold room, so to warm up my wife decided to have a bath NO HOT WATER!!!!!
We rang reception AGAIN and they said they had an engineer on the way, please wait another while.
we waited about an hour in the cold and tried to ring reception 3 times but no answer. were they ignoring us?
I ended up going downstairs to see if there was anybody there. By now it was late and the night shift manger had taken over and i explained it ALL to him and how frustrated i was.
He offered us another room and that was cold but had WARM water.
I then expressed how fed up i was and the duty manger offered to discount our room. its not the money.....it wanted what i paid for!! and explained how i would not be happy to stay in this room even if it were free. his reply was that we would have to pay AS ITS NOT AS IF THE WALLS ARE FALLING DOWN AROUND YOU.
i angrily returned to our cold room where my wife was waiting still in her coat.
We finally made the decision to give up and go home. we packed and left
As we were leaving the general manger asked what was wrong (oh my God!!!!)
we said we had been waiting 4 hours for heating and hot water and now decided to leave.
He asked if we could wait 30 mins so he would have an opertunity to fix the problem. We did...
he returned and showed us another room, it was warm with hot water and a 'on the house' bottle of bubbly and the room would be free...... too much too late we thought.
As it was now late the general manger said he would push back our table reservation to 8:30.
we arrived at the bar to find it pumping with music and heaving. thats fine, it's xmas.... we went to the bar and asked for our table, they had not reserved one!!
The duty manager then suggested that we have a table from a 'no show' we accepted. The table was right under a speaker that was blaring music and i mean LOUD.
the waitress came over and then explained that here would be a WAIT FOR FOOD as there was a party in the function room. (oh my god, could this night get any worse????)
the duty manger gave us some nibbles to tie us over which were clearly from the party upstairs.
Food portions are very small and they do not sell deserts.
a nice gesture from the duty manger was a glass of bubbly and he popped the cork in front of us. Nice show, but the bottle was a used half empty one. (probably from the party upstairs)
By now, all we wanted was our bed. we got upstairs to find our room was DIRECTLY ABOVE THE PARTY we could hear every word the DJ said!!!!
the party ended at 1:30 in the morning.
Breakfast was in the bar area with the open smelly log burner. It was OK, but a bit salty for our tastes.
we checked-out and the kind reception lady ask how our stay was.....HMMMM

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank clipshelga
Jolyons10, Owner at Jolyon's at No. 10, responded to this review, 15 February 2013
As the owner of the hotel I have decided to contact you my self I have done alot of checks regards to this and now can see who you are and room also times and what staff you saw.

To start i am very upset to see you have not had an amazing time with us and we aim to have alot of repat business (that we do) I agree with you saying my staff are really helpful and friendly .

i can see we had a problem with the hotel heating system on that floor . It doesnt help really to know that all it was was a lever that got knocked this making the water and heating not work I can see how upsetting this would be for you. I see my staff tried to keep you in the picture on what was happening but maybe more training on who saw you would be benefitted this is now in place.

The parking in the hotel is for guests who had booked a space and after that we say it is restricted I wish i had 30 parking spcaes to offer. We dont charge for the space its done on a bases of what room and time of booking. sadly we have to put a barrier arm at the hotel this is where you pressed the button if we didnt have this everybosy would be in their in a flash and no parking for our guests.

Looking at your booking at the time of xmas the bar does get louder and more active xmas spirit and people enjoying themselves (we are building an area for people to dine away from the bar in a quieter more relaxed setting.

Im not really sure what to say about the log fire It lovely we get amazing comments how lovely it is and the smell Some places prefer gas with no mes but Its my passion to have things that are real and good for the enviroment.

We are proud now to have a chef who is cooking great food and in the process of creating a menue. After xmas I decided to change a few staff memebers regards to service and again i am sorry if you found your meal small I am glad my member of staff gave you some champagne on us to say sorry.

all my staff should be smiling as you said and being friendly but giving you an excellent service as well this i cannot see being that hard to reach and achieve

as a gesture I would be happy to offer you a meal for two to see how good things are. You cold even have our writing room that is private.

many thanks again

jolyon joseph
Penarth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2013

Well this is the Third time I've had the pleasure of having a party there my 40th 15 months ago , my works christans party ( already booked for dec 2013 ) and now my wife's 30th which was held 25th jan . To be fair it exceeded all my expectations .. First class from booking it in July to the lead up ! To say attention to detail ... Was an understatement .. It was 5 star standard ... The Bedroom suite is a must ! That little extra worth every penny ;)
Car park small ! Who cares I'm not sleeping in my car , nor eating in it .. .. Log fire a must for couples .. On location right on the outer edge of the city ! Great
Once again many thanks to the staff & Rhian Mr & Mrs John

Room Tip: Get a suite ! Spend a tad more Room 101! Twice had this room
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Wow thank you so much for your lovely review.

Well now their is a log fire for you to warm up on.!!!!!

We cant wait to see you again I am sure we will have lots more to show you. our new extension will be starting soon so look out

I agree with you i love room 101 maybe its the fun japanese plunge pool in their that helps a bit too

thanks again

north wales
Reviewed 25 January 2013

We booked a suite last minute for two nights. The room was nice and clean and very comfortable,although some of the furniture seemed quite mismatched. Breakfast was good and more than enough. We couldn't eat on the first night due to staffing problems? But we're directed to a pub around the corner. We managed to get a meal on our second night which was excellent. The bar area is quite cosy with a log fire but we did have smoky clothing! The parking is very restrictive, so if you value your car it may be worth thinking of an alternative. Overall though, we would book again.

Thankyou for review

since your review we have now added a damper to the fire so when the doors are opened the smell doesnt spill out as much .. i love the smell so its my fault.

I agree about the parking it is tight I wish we could have more space but sadly not damm inner city. There is 400 parking spaces behind our hotel cardiff council own these on meter we are trying to get a deal with them. I think its a good idea to come by train. maybe when you stay next time with us you might want to use a hire bike from us and go for a leasure ride up the side of the taff (the Taff trail ) also a lovley tea rooms has opened really worth a stop.

Take care and thank you again
Stratford upon Avon
Reviewed 24 January 2013 via mobile

This is a commercial business , don't rush,it's primarily a business operation-the love is missing, our expectations for comfort, quality, relaxation and value were not found here. Our bedroom was hot and noisy, above a disco. The breakfast room and breakfast was lacked any style or quality. We were hugely disappointed.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Philip E
Jolyons10, Owner at Jolyon's at No. 10, responded to this review, 14 February 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review. Sadly I see you are not happy.

I have looked in to your booking and i see you have booked under (a living social offer) We set this deal with living social so people could get a good taste of our hotel. The room offer is subject to availability you have had a doulbe room all our rooms have different spec the room you had was a doulbe with compact bath. If we new I am sure we would of upgraded you to a room with a big bath like some of the other rooms have. Me being over 6ft 4 also would like this. The suites on on website have a mini bar kitchen and robes in the room (not in the doubles)

with regards to the meal I have now recruited a few more staff and made alot of changes regards to service I am really sorry you felt you didnt have good service. The meal option is shown in th living social offer as this with an option to pay more if you wanted the other menue.

I pride myself on good service and a good atmosphere in the hotel and strive to improve it everyday.

We are now in the process of building a new food area and reception in the rear of the building.

As a gesture of good will I would like to offer you a meal on me when we open and to show you around the hotel and you can see what the other rooms look like

regards

jolyon joseph Owner

jolyon@jolyons.co.uk
Reviewed 15 January 2013

My wife and I celebrated her recent Birthday by staying at our favourite hotel. We had a wonderful time, the room was luxurious (with the most amazing jacuzzi bath) the staff attentive and I can't honestly see us staying anywhere else. I had heard that a new chef had recently been appointed and we were more than impressed with his menu. The goats cheese bruschetta was delicious as was the prawn linguine, and the homemade burgers with bacon and cheese I can't recommend enough. We had planned to go into the town centre for drinks but the bar was so warm and cosy we stayed on the sofas by the roaring fire and decided to stay at Bar Cwtch.
My birthday can't come soon enough so we can return.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
thank you so much its always a pleasure to see you when you arrive.

i cant wait to show you are new plans to extend the rear of the building dinnning area and new reception with a roof terrace to enjoy a drink or two!!

Take care your lovley guests