“Fabulous dining experience. ”
Review of Purple Poppadom

Purple Poppadom
Ranked #80 of 1,378 Restaurants in Cardiff
Price range: US$33 - US$59
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Purple Poppadom is the latest creation of multi-award-winning Chef Anand George. Since arriving in Cardiff in 2007, with the stated aim of ‘re-defining Indian cuisine’, Chef Anand George has further developed his culinary creations at Purple Poppadom in a style which he has coined as 'Nouvelle Indian Cuisine'. Based closer to Cardiff city centre, ‘PP’ as Anand often calls it, is a concept dear to his heart and amongst the most eagerly anticipated new eateries in the Welsh capital for many years. Pursuing his innovative '5,000 mile culinary journey' Chef continues to extend the boundaries of his cuisine by infusing Anglo-French influences, always based on his traditional heritage. For the menu, Chef has initiated his innovative combination starters, providing two or more main taste experiences on one plate for variety; such as chicken in three styles, similarly cheese or lamb. Main courses dishes include 'deconstructed' presentations such as Chicken Nawabi, which has quickly become
Reviewed 14 January 2017 via mobile

I have never before experienced an indian meal served with such beauty to the eye and the taste was out of this world. I even bought their cook book signed by the creative chief.
A brilliant birthday treat for my granddaughters 16th birthday as it was a treat she had wanted for a long time. It was so wonderful we will return. Never let it be seen as a cheap Indian curry shop as it most definitely is not....but its worth every penny. And i compliment the service it was in all ways perfect.

Reviewed 10 January 2017 via mobile

We have been fortunate enough to visit the Purple Poppadom twice in one month and were blown away both times. The quality of food served is quite extraordinary and the service is excellent. Can't recommend this place enough! Thank You

Reviewed 9 January 2017

We reserve our visits to the Purple Poppadom for special occasions. The food is very good, but it is a little pricey. The staff are very pleasant and helpful and knowledgeable about the dishes. If you're looking for a typical Indian curry with rice or chips, this isn't the place for you. This is Indian Fine Dining which is reflected in their prices. This in turn makes me a bit more picky over detail.
We started with a little basket of small poppadoms with some delicious relishes. I then chose a Creamery starter which was a selection of cheese presented with some accompanying sauces, I didn't really expect some of the same sauces that I'd just had with my poppadoms though. My main course was my favourite Lamb Shank, served with a delicious reduction, with mint sorbet, salad and sweet potato mash. We decided to share a dessert and chose the Chef's Trio. This was a small Crem Brulee, with a small square of pineapple and a piece of banana. It was delicious and we were quite full so didn't want a large portion, but this was very overpriced for what it was. The pineapple and banana did have a smudge of sauce with it, but the dessert itself cost £8, so actually a small square of pineapple and less than a quarter of a large banana cost about £2.50 each. I felt a little ripped off by this.
Altogether, (poppadoms, starters, main course and a shared dessert + a beer each) came to £36 each. With the bill coming straight after the disappointment of our dessert, it made us a bit stroppy about the 10% service charge automatically added on to the bottom line. It did say that it was optional, but I do begrudge being told that I am expected to pay a service charge
This restaurant is very popular and by the time we left it was almost full, so I'd recommend booking. These small disappointing details are unlikely to deter me from visiting again, but for special occasions....

Reviewed 8 January 2017

Ate several weeks ago, The food here was probably the tastiest indian food I have ever had. The service was also very good. The food was a little slow to come out after ordering but well worth the wait. Enjoy.

Reviewed 8 January 2017 via mobile

The food here is amazing and we would encourage everyone to eat at the Purple Poppadom. We had the seven course tasting menu and it was a twist on traditional Indian food. The coconut souo was lovely, the chicken was the most tender I have had, whilst the chocolate poppadom is something special. Despite the portions initially looking small, go hungry as you will be stuffed! The additional wine flight was nice without being anything special.