“Greenwood and Brown, Cardiff”
Review of Greenwood and Brown - CLOSED

Greenwood and Brown
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Went here on Friday 13th. It was my cousin's birthday and we wanted steak. The restaurant was crowded and rather noisy but we were seated in good time. It's one of those upbeat, loud music, "industrial-looking, stainless-steel-tables places" but we were fine with all that. Took a while before we were brought menus, then our server disappeared for several minutes. We managed to grab her and ordered, then after about 10 minutes, she returned to tell us that they were out of green beans and new potatoes. So we had to order sides we did not really want. We did not mind the wait, as we were drinking, talking and people-watching. However, when our entrees did arrive, it was unfortunate that two of the steaks were dry. Greenwood and Brown seems to be a fun place but we were disappointed with the steaks, the distracted server and the delayed service.

1  Thank arsenal14

Reviewed 11 October 2013

I had dinner here last night and have to say the steak was perfect. However, everything else was diabolical! The service was truly awful. To start with I had to wait 40 minutes for my food. Then I had to ask for cutlery and a napkin as the waitress didn't even notice that there wasn't any on the table. I then had to go to the bar myself to get a glass of wine because it was impossible to get anyone's attention to order it!
To top it all off, when the bill arrived the prices on it were higher than the prices on the menu! The Manager simply said it was because the menus were old and the prices had gone up today! She really thought this was fine and couldn't see what the problem was. Unbelievable!

1  Thank Mike H
Reviewed 2 October 2013

My partner and I had dinner here last Thursday evening and everything from the warm welcome to the food was first class.

We were seated and served promptly and we both went for calamarie to start, served piping hot with a lovely fiery chilli jam. The batter was crisp and coated the fish inside perfectly which was tender yet firm to the bite.

Plates were cleared and shortly after followed our rump steaks cooked medium rare with chips, peppercorn sauce and a side of green beans. All were cooked to perfection and flavorful in their own right. Im still raving about how well our steaks were cooked, this chef really knows a thing about how to cook steak.

Ive read a lot of comments about over seasoning on the steak and I have to say in the countless dinners we have enjoyed, the seasoning has never been an issue and I only noticed it after reading other peoples reviews. Its a shame because people rely heavily on reviews to select places to dine and I think to be over critical on the really small things can sometimes give a negative edge and leave a prospective diner expecting and anticipating an over seasoned steak rather than being pleasantly surprised as I was at flavor it gives the meat.

As for the place itself, ok so the music prominent but that just gives the place an upbeat atmosphere and again this is something ive never really noticed as im too busy enjoying the company im with and the food im eating! As for groans about the furniture......the chairs are too high? Really??!!! Shame to rate the chair height over the amazing food and quality of service!

We will definitely be returning without a second thought and will continue to recommend this establishment, keep up the good work G&B.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Contemporary dining room with open kitchen. Wooden floors and high tables/stools. Good range of food with specials. Decent wine list. Great service. Only downside was music seemed out of place with surroundings - would expect some jazz/blues rather than 80s pop! Worth a go...

Reviewed 23 August 2013

Very disappointing meal.The 'ribeye ' steaks were recommended & pretty expensive at £25 each. When served they were very rare as opposed to medium & when requested cooked slightly more, they were very tough & tasteless.The chef blamed it on the cooking but they got it wrong in the first place & in truth the meat was dry & tasteless even before the extra cooking.
The waitress was understanding & they gave us a 20% discount but the cooking was basic & poor.There was no sauce or garnish unless you ordered it which made for a very bland meal at best.

1  Thank Huw T
Roxanne G, General Manager at Greenwood and Brown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Hi Huw,

I am sorry to hear that you were disspointed with your steaks on this occasion. The 511g Bone in Rib-eye you ordered is a rather large piece of meat, it is also marbled with fat - which adds all the flavour - but does make it tougher than some of the other steaks we have on our menu. I am sorry that you did not enjoy it. But I am happy to hear that your waitress was understanding, and discounted your family's meals.

At Greenwood and Brown we pride ourselves on doing simple, yet great quality food in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. We don't serve our steaks with any other than some watercress as a garnish. This is because our meat is sourced by Celtic Pride, and is very good quality. We do however allow our customers the option of adding a sauce of butter, should they wish.

We value all feedback we receive, and your comments have been passed on to both the kitchen and the front of house teams. We do hope that you will be back to give us another chance, and perhaps try one of our other steak cuts.

Should you wish to discuss this matter any further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. On greenwoodandbrown@sabrain.com

Kind regards,