“Even better”

New House Country Hotel
Ranked #2 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 19 May 2011

We have been to The New House twice recently and it is even better than before.
We had Sunday lunch on May 1st - superb and with excellent service.
Last week I took my Australian cousin there - she loved the food, the service and the amazing views over Cardiff.
I am going again on monday!

Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 10 April 2011

Just got back from a weekend break and the only marginal down side to the stay was the disco back ground sound from a wedding party that was being held in the grounds of the hotel, To be fair this stopped dead on midnight and apart from that the welcome, the room and food was first class.
Other reviews indicate difficulties in getting from the Hotel into Cardiff but we found it a straight forward journey, the views from the Hotel over Cardiff are spectacular especially with it being warm clear weather. Will visit again.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2011

I had a one night stay at the New House recently. As some of the other reviews state if your here looking for a big night out in Cardiff i would stay elsewhere as its a bit of a trek to the city centre. If however you are looking for some where nice and peaceful the New House is a good bet. The communal areas are very comfortable and cosy not like in many more modern hotels. I would have loved to have had time to sit and read a book on one of the big sofa's in the lounge. The rooms are a very good size and well kitted out though the cheapness of the toilet roll doesnt match the rest of the hotel. The restaurant though pricey does provide high quality posh food. Though you can eat for less off the bar menu. Staff are very pleasant.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 March 2011

We stayed here as a treat for my husbands Birthday on a groupon deal. The hotel staff were very helpful and friendly. The views over Cardiff amazing. Bed very comfy and bouncy
Breakfast was fab.
Only negative comment I could make would be the bathroom needed a slight upgrade
Quirky decor in main areas overall fantastic place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 January 2011

Stayed here on business for one night. I usually stay in a more central Cardiff chain hotel and was a littel concerned about it being Best Western, but shouldn't have been.
This hotel is a little gem of a find.
The location whilst being about 5 miles out of Cardiff is stunning.
The building itself is beautiful, the room I had overlooked the gardens with views down over Cardiff and the bay. It was large, clean and had a lovely bathroom. Everything I needed was there, bathrobes, tea and coffee, water, free wifi, flat screen TV with Freeview channels.
I ate in the restaurant and although it was fairly quiet, the food and service were superb.
There is a gym downstairs if you need it and the rest of the hotel lounges etc are very cosy with real log fires and comfy leather chairs. All of the staff I met were friendly and helpful.
I wont hesitate to stay here again every time I'm in the area. No more souless chain hotels for me.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 January 2011

My wife and I stayed at this hotel last week on a trip down to Cardiff to see my daughter. The surroundings of the hotel are just fabulous, the hotel is first class both for comfort and service. The bedrooms are large with a lovely bathroom, together with amenities such as bathrobes, teas, coffee making facilities, iron, trouser press. Which go to make a proper four star hotel.
The journey in peak times into Cardiff can be a bit tedious but not really a problem. One area that should be looked at is finding the hotel, from Caerphilly it is fairly easy when going down the hill it is nicely signposted with a middle lane in the road to turn off into the hotel. But coming up from Cardiff up the A649 from the A48 it is difficult as there appears no proper signage until you are on the main entrance, and it easy to miss, I think Best western should address this problem as it is the only downside of visting the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2011

I recently stayed at the hotel after seeking an alternative hotel to stay at in Cardiff. It looked as though it was in a tranquil location and is only five miles from Cardiff centre. However, those five miles are the slowest you will ever travel due to the fact there is not a main road to take, so it takes about half an hour or so to travel to the city centre. It is actually closer to Caerphilly.

We were aware of the problems with the hotel’s postcode being incorrect on sat navs, so we used the alternative one suggested. However, this took us over a one-track road on a misty mountain that wasn’t really suitable for driving up.
On arrival at the hotel, we were told we had a room on the ground floor with a patio area. We headed to our room to find a spacious twin, with a generous sized bathroom. The patio area was lovely, but obviously we couldn’t utilise it in January as the weather was awful. We headed out in to Cardiff not long after arriving, and it was then that we realised what a distance it was. It involves slow-moving roads through housing estates, and it just wasn’t as easy as five miles sounds.

Upon returning to the hotel later in the evening, we could hear the guests next door to us. This continued the following morning. Every time someone leaves their room, the doors slam shut very loudly as there are no springs to stop them from banging. Not great at 6am when you hadn’t planned on waking up. You could hear quite a lot from room to room, even down to people stirring their drinks with spoons. I expect a little noise in hotels, it’s inevitable, but certainly not to the that level.

The hotel is a very nice looking building (even if they did still have the Christmas tree and decorations up in mid-January), but it has a rather peculiar feel inside. The access to the ground floor rooms is through a strange lounge area, and it seems rather ill-placed.

All in all, the stay was ok. I wouldn’t stay at the hotel again as the location was poor and the rooms were noisy. I don’t think it is deserving of being second in the choice of places to stay in Cardiff as I have stayed in much better (Radisson, Hilton and St. David’s).

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends