“Mouldy mushroomy coving and locked up plumber and cleaner”

New House Country Hotel
Ranked #2 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Mouldy mushroomy coving and locked up plumber and cleaner”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Driving up to the hotel for a wedding, we were getting excited and patted ourselves on the back for picking such a beautiful place to spend the night.
The gentleman on reception was not particularly helpful or indeed friendly. Directions to our room were vague. The first door we opened led to...well... a brick wall.
Our room itself consisted of beautiful views of the gardens, horrible furniture, past it fittings, MOULDY COVING!, a bathroom with fungus growing, broken tiles, an ancient bathroom suite and a toilet that was set up on a piece of ply and 'silicone painted' by a five year old with anger issues.
As a plumber, I visit many bathrooms and had this been a customers bathroom I would have laid down a dust-sheet to stop my shoes from getting dirty.
The room was obviously not to the liking of the flies aswell as several of them had hurled themselves at the window in an attempt to escape.
As it was my cousins wedding reception and the receptionist had made clear his stance on customer service, I decided not to complain that evening but leave it till the morning.
After a poor breakfast, just poor, nothing especially wrong, just not what you would expect for a room that retails at £180 a night, I explained the situation to the receptionist (this time a lovely, helpful lady), she apologised on behalf of the hotel and also agreed to let me stay an extra hour so that I could watch the rugby.
I left the customer comments sheet which outlined the above, along with my contact details and have not received a reply.
I have a horrible feeling that behind the first door/brick wall there is the cleaner and plumber crying to be let out so that they can do their job.
I have stayed in several Best Westerns now and this is only marginally better than the The Priory in Bury St. Edmunds.
During our stay in the region, we stayed at 4 different lodgings and all were 10 times better.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Beni81
Alix S, Front Office Manager at New House Country Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for leaving feedback regarding your stay in July. These issues have been addressed and I have contacted you directly with regards to them.

Yours faithfully
Stephen Banks
Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Stayed at the hotel for a wedding in August 2013. The hotel is a lovely hotel, check in went smoothly, the wedding was lovely. The bar prices were quite expensive though! I stayed in room 16 which looked out onto the courtyard, which was great, because we could see all the wedding guests outside the hotel. The room was big, although very warm, and we couldn't find where to adjust the air con! A decent size bathroom too! The food at the hotel was really nice! Couldn't fault it! I would definitely return!

I have to give a special mention to Maureen, who is a florist who does a lot of work for the hotel. I ordered flowers for my girlfriend on the morning of the wedding, and she walked around the hotel to give the flowers specifically to my girlfriend! thankyou.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and I do hope we will see you again in the future.
caerphilly
Reviewed 4 July 2013 via mobile

I visited this hotel for afternoon tea on 29th June. The weather was beautiful so we sat outside to enjoy the wonderful views. We ordered the luxury afternoon tea with prosecco which was £19pp-which was cheaper than other places offering the same sort of thing closer to Cardiff. We had a our choice of sandwiches, which consisted of 4 smoked salmon and 4 tuna triangles. There was also 2 warm scones with strawberries and clotted cream, 2 chocolate eclaires, 2 squares of carrot cake garnished with berries and 2 cubes of Victoria sponge. We also had tea and coffee. The standard of the food was high and the staff catered for a nut allergy. My one small criticism was that the service was slow but there were 2 weddings on at the time so easily forgiven. Will definitely be returning.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank sopber86
Alix S, Front Office Manager at New House Country Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to write such nice words about your afternoon tea at the hotel. We do hope you will visit us again soon and enjoy another afternoon tea in the long awaited beautiful sunshine.
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I stayed at the hotel on 9th June and it was a beautiful relaxing location, but there was a wedding on and I think they were a bit overwhelmed by the location and the day, it was a bit like gypsy wedding at the time, lots of drunken chavs smoking and squabbling everywhere until 4am. the walls were thick enough that it wasn't too much bother and i'm sure other wedding parties will be a bit more civilised, I didn't complain as it was a wedding and I don't think there was anything the staff could do to control or educate them. the staff were very friendly and helpful and very clean and elegant location, and a huge bed! a hidden gem for the people of Cardiff

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Greg T
Alix S, Front Office Manager at New House Country Hotel, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Dear Reviewer

Many thanks for your taking the time to leave feedback regarding your stay at the hotel. I am glad you enjoyed some aspects of your stay, but am sorry to hear of the disturbance caused by other guests, should the matter have been brought to our attention we would gladly have spoken with the guests concerned.

I do hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.
Wales, U.K.
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I have no idea what this hotel is like to stay at but its position overlooking Cardiff is second to none.
My experience extends to a series of Sunday lunches taken in the last couple of months and the menu choices and quality of fare has been really excellent. Service is always good and a 3 course lunch costs just under £20.00.
The views from the dining room (with the right table) are fabulous - the whole of Cardiff Bay and the city laid out before you with the 2 islands off the Glamorgan Heritage Coast easily visible.
The food? Well, there's a choice of 4-6 dishes for each course and each one is usually a little different from the norm. Today I ate roast leg of lamb with a fantastic pea puree (NOT spoiled by mint being added as in many restaurants). There were about six or seven different vegetables on offer and I rate their main courses as on a par with The Angel, Abergavenny which hitherto I rated as possibly the best in South Wales! So, I now have two favourite restaurants for Sundat lunch - so good to have the choice in an area not overendowed with restaurants of excellence charging realistic prices.......
This place is already popular with tables hard to get at times so be flexible about times of eating if you want to try it. It's NOT really suitable for children UNLESS you are prepared to leave the table periodically and to give them a run outside in the spacious outdoor area! Inside the hotel the atmosphere is generally calm and quiet and not geared towards entertaing children.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alan P
Dear Reviewer

Many thanks for your kind words with regard to Sunday lunch at the hotel, and I am so glad you have enjoyed having it here on several occasions. We pride ourselves on using local fresh produce in our menus and I think this is reflected in the quality of the meals provided.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We stayed at this hotel for the wedding of our niece, the venue was excellent the staff absolutely first rate and friendly room was very nice with stunning views and a large bathroom, it had good WiFi, and a kingsize bed.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Alix S, Front Office Manager at New House Country Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you kind words regarding the hotel and I am glad you enjoyed your stay, we do hope to see you again in the future.
Cardiff
Reviewed 24 June 2013

My sister and I took our Mum for afternoon tea for her 81st birthday. We were placed at a window seat and brought a pot of tea and a small selection of cakes. There were two other gentleman on a nearby table holding a fairly intensive business meeting. Sadly, we are unable to recommend the New House for afternoon tea as it was overpriced, lacked any atmosphere, and the service provided was poor.

N Mills

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Nicola M
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review regarding your afternoon tea at the hotel, we are disappointed to hear that you were dissatisfied with both the afternoon tea and the service which you were provided. If these issues had been brought to the attention of staff on the day we would have gladly tried to rectify them.