“Wonderful hotel / let down by Sunday dinner.”

New House Country Hotel
Ranked #2 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Knowing we were here for a conference I didn't expect too much. How wrong was I? The meeting rooms were spacious and well equipped. Coffee breaks were on time and hot and the lunch was a surprise - expected sandwiches etc but we had a hot or cold choice of meals suitable for vegetarians as well as us carnivores followed by a delicious dessert of apple crumble and ice cream. Dinner was cooked excellently and served by lovely staff. The rest of the hotel was as good. The staff were friendly and helpful and my bedroom was spotless and very well appointed.

Can't wait to take my other half there.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Barbara H
Alix S, Front Office Manager at New House Country Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent trip to the hotel, I do hope we will see you again in the future for a leisure break.
Dorset
Reviewed 11 February 2014

This is a first rate hotel and I will definitely return as I really enjoyed my visit! The hotel is a beautiful old country house at the foot of Caerphilly mountain, but just 20 odd minutes from the centre of Cardiff. The downstairs lounge and bar are very pleasant places to spend a lazy afternoon, with colourful comfortable sofas and chairs, and choice of a log burner in one room or an open fire in the other, both with glorious views across the countryside towards Cardiff city. The hotel dining room was also really nice, again with views to the front of the hotel.

We did not dine here, but did have breakfast on two mornings. The first morning it was great, good choice and freshly prepared. However, the second morning was not so good. Admittedly we arrived at 9.45 with breakfast due to finish at 10:00, but the staff failed to take our order and we had to ask. Also, the toast was rubbery and cold. All the help yourself stuff was cleared away by 10:15, so we missed out on the pastries; they could have asked if we wanted any more! Apart from that I have no complaints and would recommend.

We had a twin room on the ground floor with garden views; the room was really big with a sofa and coffee table, nicely decorated, very clean, and large bathroom.

All the staff were friendly, helpful, and courteous, and this always makes a big difference!

Room Tip: Ground floor garden view, lovely!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank peeble
Alix S, Front Office Manager at New House Country Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Dear Reviewer

I am glad you enjoyed your recent trip to the hotel. I will pass your comments regarding breakfast onto the restauarnt staff and hopefully this will be rectified for future guests.

I do hope we will see you again in the future.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I arrived at the 'New House Hotel' on 03/02/14 at around 7pm, after 3 hours of travelling I was glad to get to my room and have something to eat.
Although it was dark when I arrived, the taxi took me up this long driveway where I was greeted by a lovely Manor House.
I was greeted at Reception with a warm welcome & asked if I was going to dine in the restaurant, I said yes & made a reservation.
I was then given my key card along with my free Wi-Fi code which I could use in my room.
When I got to my room I was very pleased. It was much larger than I expected.
It had a large clean bathroom, King size bed & sofa beside it.
There was tea/coffee making facilities, decent hair-dryer, clock radio beside the bed, bathrobe & nice complimentary shower gels, soaps, flannel, comb etc in the bathroom.
I then arrived in the restaurant where I was once again, greeted with a warm welcome & given a menu with a 2 course or 3 course option.
I opted for the 3 course at £26.95 and I could not fault the food, it was without a doubt high quality & well presented.
After I finished my relaxing meal I ventured back to my room and all i can say is "Wow"....... the bed was exceptionally comfortable and I slept so well.
The next morning I went to breakfast and there was a selection of cereals, fruit, yoghurts, fruit juice, speciality teas etc to help yourself to. Tea/coffee & toast was brought to your table & a cooked breakfast or poached eggs, as I chose were cooked to order.
As I arrived late the previous evening, I hadn't been able to appreciate the stunning views and Wow!!!
I was given a window table which overlooked the welsh countryside & Cardiff City Centre in the distance.
Without a doubt, If I ever go to Cardiff again..... whether Business or pleasure, I would pick this hotel.
It really is a Gem of a Hotel.....a hidden hideaway.

Room Tip: Room 22 on the 1st floor overlooks the front of the hotel & has unspoilt views across to Cardiff...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay at the hotel. We certainly have the best views across Cardiff and beyond, and you are right you cannot appreciate these until seen in the daytime. I look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Leeds
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I was on a murder mystery weekend and found the quality of the food, cleanliness of the hotel and efficiency of the staff to be first rate. Nothing was too much trouble and all of the guests were made most welcome and important.

From the moment you arrived until you checked out, it was perfect service and luxury. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone, whether you are there on business, pleasure or that special occasion.

The views and location are stunning but you must look on their website for the correct postcode - do not rely on a normal internet search!! We are looking forward to another fabulous weekend!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Alix S, Front Office Manager at New House Country Hotel, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your kind words regarding your stay at the hotel, we certainly have the best views of Cardiff. We look forward to welcoming you back for another stay with us.
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

With 10 people from all across the country meeting up we chose here and am thrilled to have found it.

Great lunch time menu, 3 courses of lovely food. Table by one of the fireplaces reserved for us and coffee & tea waiting for us.

Although most of us didn't stay, the hotel is in stunning surroundings with THE most amazing views.

Will definitely return.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Rowills
Alix S, Front Office Manager at New House Country Hotel, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear Reviewer

Many thanks for your kind words regarding your recent visit to the hotel for a meal. I hope you will choose us again in the future when you all meet up.