The Abbey Hotel
Ranked #41 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 24 July 2008

Not a very warm welcome (not even a handshake), room really small and not very nice (not even a wardrobe). Said newly refurbished on the sign - but I dont think our room was included in that project!!! Very loud in the evenings and in the mornings - very inflexible regarding breakfast times. Breakfast just till 8.15 - so we decided not to take it BUT we had to pay for it anyway. Distance to city is more than 15 min walk!! Sorry, but no recommendation from our side. And what also sould make you think - it is not possible to leave a review on their webpage…

Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank schrott84

Reviewed 29 June 2008

Myself and my 4 daughters stayed here over the weekend. The room was basic but very clean, plenty of clean Towels and the bedding was fresh and bright.
Staff at the Hotel were very friendly and nothing was to much trouble, we had a very relaxing time.
The location was great for getting into the City and to the Millenium Stadium.
If we go to Cardiff next year we will definitly come back here.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Cinzano08
Reviewed 15 June 2008

Stayed in the hotel (use of this term is a possible misrepresentation). I believe the normal tariff is about £30 pp bed and breakfast. Because it was an "event in Cardiff" week-end the rate was £60. So...for £120 per night we had a twin room on the top floor. In addition to this bookings had to be for 2 nights minimum. No wardrobe - no coat hangers...not en-suite. No hotel lounge, not licensed, very basic. £25-30 a night probably resonable but £60pp per night was having a laugh at my..and my fellow travellers, expense.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bohemianbri
Reviewed 7 June 2008

First of all I had trouble finding anyone in the building when I arrived, when I needed to find someone to get a towel (since there was only one in the room that I shared with my daughter) and when I needed to pay before leaving. I chose to stay at a small B&B to get a more personal stay than I would get a Travelodge or a large hotel, but the only person I really spoke to was the cook when I had my breakfast in the morning!
I was expecting a clean and tidy room, but I was very disappointed!! Below is a list of all that was wrong with our room:-

·No curtains in bathroom and therefore absolutely no privacy.
·No rubbish bin in bathroom or bedroom.
·No wardrobe to hang clothes-something that I thought was standard in a bedroom!
·A shelf in the corner that I assume was meant to be put up at some point.
·Curtain ties had not been put up and were just left on the windowsill.
·A packet of cigarettes in a drawer in a supposedly no smoking room.
·A very dirty mug!
·After requesting extra towels-three were dirty!
·And finally, a sock from a former guest was found near my bed!

I don’t expect a small B&B to be of the same standard as The Hilton but I am sure that you will agree that this was unacceptable by anyone’s standards! I will definitely not be returning to this USELESS hotel in the near future and will certainly not recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Sianws
Reviewed 13 April 2008

Pictures very deceiving. Hotel poorly managed. No check in process, were told credit card machine broken - not repaired in the 5 days of our visit. Rooms cleaned sparcely. Had to ask for clean towels repeatedly. Very little heat in room, very little hot water - mostly lukewarm. Shower only cold water. Trash not removed during 5 day stay. Given price, not at all comparable to other Bed and Breakfasts in area. Suggest you search for other B& B's!!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank MLB44
Reviewed 6 January 2008

When we arrived, no one was at the desk so we rang the bell. Then we rang the bell again and again. Finally, we had to go hunt somoene down to check us in.

The rooms are very outdated, musty, and sparse. The shower was weak but the water was hot. The bed had to be from the Tintern Abbey - when it was built! There were so many springs in the bed that it was a cruel torture.

The hotel seems in dire need of repair and some TLC. There are bad doors, signs have fallen all over, dust is all over, and it just seems...well, neglected.

It was nice to have a pub and place to eat on site. The food was fine and priced fairly.

The one great part of this hotel is it is DIRECTLY in front of the Abbey which is a beautiful site.

We only paid 45 pounds for the room and would say that was a fair price but I would never stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wallymoto
Reviewed 27 November 2007

my husband and i booked a double en-suite room for the boxing weekend, no prices were given online so i telephoned and was told it was
£120 per night, we expected a good deal for that. what a shock, we have stayed on better campsites with better and cleaner bathroom facilities, the room was drab,the kettle sat on the floor, we stood in 2ins of water in the shower as the plumbing couldn't cope with the flow of water, the windowsill had an inch of muck on it, there was no wardrobe...... the list is endless, thinking i'd misheard the price i didn't expect to pay the £240 for the 2 nights, £40 would have been overpaying, but they charged us the full £240 even when i was stood in front of the tarrif board stating the double en-suites were £65 per room per night. they saw me looking at the board and said they charge extra on busy weekends, and promptly removed the tarrif board. absolutely disgusted, what a rip off, shall be taking it further to the cardiff tourist board. do not stay here.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple