“Castle Coch”

The Castell Coch Tour
Ranked #31 of 43 Tours in Cardiff
More attraction details
Owner description: ADVANCED BOOKING ESSENTIAL: A 90 minute personal tour of the fairytale castle brought to you by "Cardiff History and Hauntings". Hear tales outside of its mysterious medieval beginnings, with clues of life here when Welsh and English fought for this land. Then we step inside to enjoy the dazzling interiors - a fantasy fairytale castle, each room with a theme - while hearing stories of the family who owned, but rarely visited it.
Hereford, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Castle Coch”
Reviewed 30 June 2013

An excellent and informative tour given by Jim Cowan. Jim's expert and detailed knowledge of the castle, it's history and the stories of the families and individuals helped bring the whole experience to life.

Besides the tour, Jim ensured that as first time visitors to the area, we were looked after in a very caring and practical way. He couldn't have done more to make the morning a very enjoyable experience.

Thank you.

Visited June 2013
5 Thank Tony F

Cle Elum, Washington
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 166 helpful votes
“Wonderful Castell Coch”
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I have been the castle several times but this past year decided to contact Jim Cowan for a guided tour. I was so pleased that I did. Jim's extensive knowledge and obvious for the place was apparent immediately. I cannot praise him enough for bringing the castle to life and sharing so much of the family history and ancestry. I can't wait to take another one of his tours!

Visited June 2012
1 Thank ScottishDreamTours
Dorset
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Castell Coch must-do tour”
Reviewed 22 May 2012

My Mother-in-law had always wanted to visit Castell Coch so we booked this tour as part of her 70th birthday gift of a weekend visit to Wales. I was so impressed by Jim on my initial enquiries that I booked the Castell Coch private tour and the Cardiff’s Forgotten Past group tour. We were certainly not disappointed and the tours helped make the weekend even more special.

I’m originally from the area so had visited the castle on previous occasions however, this was the most enjoyable visit as Jim’s knowledge, passion and enthusiasm is infectious and highly engaging.

The 2 hour tour was excellent value for money, exploring the exterior and interior of the castle, which is certainly worth visiting, but is brought to life with this fascinating tour.

Jim is an excellent story teller who is able to make the facts and history interesting for all ages. The tour was structured to take you though the history of the castle and surrounding area but informal enough to be adaptable to the weather and abilities / ages of those in the group.

Jim was extremely professional, helpful and informative not only during the tour with any questions that we had, but also in advance with the booking. I can highly recommend this tour to anyone visiting or living in the area and can confirm that his other tours are also excellent and of the same high standard that we experienced at Castell Coch.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank DorsetPetal
Wisconsin
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Best way to visit the castle!”
Reviewed 15 May 2012

After taking Jim's ghost tour and Cardiff walking tour, we found out he also does tours for the unique Castell Coch, so of course we booked it! (At this point, he cheerfully joked we were like his groupies, and really, if we could have taken him with us through all the rest of Wales while we were there for two weeks, we would have! He is marvelous!)

We had taken the Cardiff Castle tour the previous day, and I was wondering if there would be a lot of repeated stories, since it was the same fantastically wealthy family and their fairy-tale-minded architect who renovated it. But no, there were not – we learned even more!

The castle has so many quirks and hidden stories that, unless you've done research on your own, you'd never know about or probably even notice them without a guide, and Jim is the best. I'd definitely recommend this tour if you're thinking of visiting the castle; in fact the tour actually makes the castle even more worth visiting!

Visited May 2012
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Unmissable, even on a rainy day!”
Reviewed 14 May 2012 via mobile

I'm so glad I found the details of this tour on the web as it was wonderful. Jim Cowan, the guide, has so much history and knowledge of not only Castell Coch but the surrounding area. This tour ties in so well with a visit to Cardiff Castle. You wil be taken aback by the beauty of Castell Coch and its setting. A big thank you to Jim for a fantastic tour that was thoroughly enjoyable. I'm looking forward to going on the ghost tour Jim does the next time I visit.