“Nice food but not a lot of it”

Gwaelod y Garth Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cardiff
Gwaelod y Garth Inn
Ranked #17 of 45 Cardiff B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 September 2012

It is a nice traditional pub on the side of the Garth mountain and as mentioned previously, parking can be very difficult because of the narrow road leading to the pub.

We had a meal recently - chicken wrapped in bacon with fries and vegetables. The chicken arrived on a large white plate with what looked like two thin slices of lemon grass and some sauce. The fries and vegetables arrived in seperate bowls.

While the chicken was lovely and the fries 'chunky', the disappointment was the amount of vegetables on offer. We had 3 florets between 2 people and not a huge amount of french beans and carrots.

For £16 per person, the portion could and should have been bigger. I kept thinking perhaps another side dish was on the way. There wasn't.

There's a pub in nearby Whitchurch (The Hollybush), where for about £4.00, you can have a carvery with a selection of meats and load up your plate with as many vegetables you can fit on your plate. Granted, it's not got the same reputation as the Gwaelod y Garth Inn but the food is good and you (more than) feel you have value for money.

Room Tip: Nice terrace outside to look across the Taf Valley, but go early in the day if you want to see the s...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Gwaelod y Garth Inn

Reviewed 2 September 2012 via mobile

It's a gem of a find best to leave the car at home and enjoy good food and fine wines. Location is perfect hidden away in a tiny village and to make it even better they also do bed and breakfast! Large first floor restaurant using local produce and downstairs a snug lounge where you can buy fresh rolls and enjoy a good selection of beers, once you have been you will want to go back.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 24 August 2012

tucked away in a little village on the outskirts of Cardiff is this lovely, friendly pub that has a large range of real ales, great food and brilliant staff. Pity it isn't nearby as I would spend a lot more time there.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2012

My wife and I booked Sunday lunch on the advice of trip advisor and weren't disappointed. Very friendly, great food and great service, Will definitely go back again.

Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank burvsumray
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We were all hungry and decided last minute to go out for Sunday Lunch.....The eaterie recommended was fully booked but attached on the website were a list of alternatives....We live in Grangetown ,Cardiff but had never been to the Gwaelod y Garth Inn before...the comments and reviews made me ring and book a table.
Soooo glad we did !!!!
The lady who took the booking over the phone was charming and when we arrived our table was reserved....the setting was quaint and the Inn was warm,friendly and just had that welcoming feel you so rarely get when you venture into an public house.
I'm sorry I never asked the name of the lady who served us....she deserves so much praise...very attentive and polite....apparantly there was a larger restaurant upstairs but our table was one of several on the left as you entered...this lady waited the tables and doubled up as the barmaid...brunette with a pony tail....so accommodating...she deserves a raise !!!
To The FOOD....
Great choice of Sunday roasts....I noticed many of the meats were sourced locally...the Black Beef from a farm on the very mountain the pub was on....the meals came to the table accompanied by an ample bowl of veggies...all fresh and well seasoned and cooked...I asked for more gravy...not a problem....
I must say i've eaten so many Sunday dinners out....this has to be one of the BEST.
The price was fair...£10/11 per main...child portions were available...not sure of the price though...the kids had desserts and we all had drinks...£70 bill
Worth every penny !!!
Next time we'll get a taxi so we can have a few drinks and really chill...its that sort of place...you don't want to go home !!!

Room Tip: There are rooms available so guests can stay...it would be a perfect location for a quiet couple of...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Patrick H
Reviewed 4 May 2012

I have been a regular here for some years now and I must now confess I was keeping it secret, but after the previous postings I must add my compliments to those already expressed. The only reason I havn't told of this wonderful place is when it is busy the parking is difficult, and the roads through the village narrow. I worry when my wife drives home after a visit when I cant drive.
That said, this minor problem is well worth enduring to enjoy the fabulous food, the superb caring service, and the amazing and inventive choice of real ale. This establishment deserves the highest all round praise.
Well done Babs and staff.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We have used this pub many times and recently used it for our wedding meal. The staff & managers could not have been more helpful & accommodating! We were able to use the whole of the upstairs for a meal for 56. The setting it beautiful and the food was spectacular! All food arrived promptly, was hot & the portions were more than ample. The service was excellent! We had so many compliments about the food & service. That night we stayed in one of the rooms which was beautiful with stunning views. We were offered breakfast in bed where we were treated to strawberries, Croissants, cereal, toast, orange juice, tea, coffee & a huge cooked breakfast. We cannot recommend this pub highly enough! The atmosphere is your typical country pub where you feel like one of the locals & the food is like a top quality restaurant! Please try it out!!!

• Stayed: April 2012