“excellent night out”

Gwaelod y Garth Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cardiff
Gwaelod y Garth Inn
Ranked #15 of 47 Cardiff B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 March 2014

my wife and I booked in mid week in the restaurant. a nice touch to start was a large iced water and some bread and butter, we both had a starters witch were large portions (no starters next time). I had rump steak my wife had lasagne one of the best she as had. the staff were helpful, the owner came over and asked if it was our first visit. overhaul it was a excellent night out, its my wife,s birthday in april we are going back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gareth j

Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

We arrange a family gathering to celebrate my Mother-in-laws 80th birthday. As we lived a distance away all arrangements were made over the phone. Bab's couldn't of bee more accommodating. We asked for buffet and we weren't disappointed we had beef, chicken and ham and various salads which were all delicious. The staff were brilliant and very helpful providing a swift and professional service. A variety of ales were available. All in all a great time had by all and we will certainly be returning.

Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Llandudoch1
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We stayed here for the opening match of the RLWC in October! The owners of this place really know how to treat a guest.

We walked in mid evening on a Friday the place was packed, & Barb still found time to welcome us like we were coming home. It was late, but Barb was prepared to wait until the rest of our crew arrived to prepare dinner for us. In the mean time we enjoyed some of their own breed beer, as well as a number of other great tasting real ales.

BTW, did I mention it won the Real Ale Pub of the Year title in 2013?

Room Tip: The double room above the bar is quiet, due to the great insulation. The sun rises behind the hills...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Graham B
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

Following the reviews on TP we decided to pay a visit. We were not disppointed. Friendly service; lovely atmosphere and really fantastic pub food. Prices very reasonable and portions on the large size.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I'm not a B&B type person, I like my anonymity but we needed a place to stay when dropping our daughter off at Cardiff uni for the first time. A local friend recommended the Gwaelod and it appeared to check out well on TA.

The reality surpassed the expectation. This is a long established pub which feels as if it is in the country even though only minutes from Cardiff. The couple who run it appear to have built a business according to their strengths.

It's still a local pub but ........with it's own micro-brewery and a proper ambiance which always means the people drinking there. The accommodation used to be the owners flat but has been extended and converted into three hotel standard rooms. Ours, in the roof overlooking the car park suffered the normal car park sounds but parking here is difficult so it was interesting watching the various attempts to insert and extricate cars! (the noise was actually minor)

Food is the big attraction here and why not? In Geordieland proper pubs seem to be closing at a rate of knots and the couple who run this place are beating the 'Big Boys' of the pub/eaterie/ accommodation world hands down and keeping a local at the heart of the community. I doff my hat to them.

If you are a 'foodie' this is not cordon bleu but higher end pub food. This can make the main dining area popular with larger parties celebrating ....family, friends sort of stuff which was nice but if you are a couple or on your own you might make you feel slightly overpowered. Don't worry! the service is friendly, people inclusive and makes you wish the Gwaelod was at the end of your street.

Room Tip: Ours #3 of 3 was on the 1st floor, rear facing over a car park but looking up the vertical face of t...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank ColumbusDixon
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I am not usually disposed to use this media but, as a hotelier myself, when confronted with an impeccable welcome, service, food, beverage and such high standards of cleanliness I had to write a review. The pub is set high above the A470 with wonderful views up and down a thriving valley. A Camra Best Pub winner, its' beer range is impressive and now features beautifully crafted beer from its' own 'Brew with a View' microbrewery. After perhaps one too many of the above, I left my wallet on the bar when I retired for the night. This was returned to me in a brown envelope in the morning with a discreet knock at the door at breakfast time accompanied by a very welcome bacon sandwich and cup of reviving coffee. What a way to do hospitality and a lesson to us all. I thank the tireless owners and their professional bar staff for making my stay so relaxing and memorable.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Stephen T
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Had Sunday lunch yesterday. Food was first class, service was first class, venue was first class. Can't believe this place is so close to home and hadn't come across it before. Recommending to anyone who hasn't been before. You won't be sorry you tried it. Can't wait to return for my birthday and bring the rest of the family. Wish this was my "local" but will certainly be back at the first opportunity. Get there early for parking and don't forget to book for a Sunday.

Room Tip: Wonderful views
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple