“Excellant”

Frankie & Benny's
Ranked #813 of 1,216 Restaurants in Cardiff
Cuisines: Italian, American, Pizza, Diner
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Excellant”
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

Visited after a competition at the nearby Olympic pool. One of the children in the party we were with was celebrating her birthday!...great place for children and adults alike! But very child friendly. We were a big party and they coped brilliantly - even separating bills for each family! Cant recommend this place enough! Thank you for everything! :-)

• Visited April 2014

Barry, United Kingdom
“Always have a lovely meal here!”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Been here loads of times and I've never had to complain. Staff are always nice and friendly and the food is always hot and very nice! One of my favourite places to eat out!

Visited December 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Great food!”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I took my Mum on Friday, and the Specials Menu was great value! We'll definately be back next time I'm in Wales!

• Visited March 2014
Review collected in partnership with this restaurant

“Can't fault it”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Upon entering the restaurant the while experience was amazing, there was kids being made a fuss of and a birthday party, whilst I was just party of 2 was made to feel just as important as the bug parties, strongly recommend

• Visited March 2014
Cardiff
“Okay food, shocking service!!”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Frankie & Benny's is only round the corner from where I live so is quite convenient to visit when family come to see me.
So I decided to bring my little sister here on a Thursday night because she loves the food.
We were greeted by a girl with dark hair in a bun and a lot of make up. She was pleasant enough but didn't have a genuine smile on her face and didn't seem happy to greet us. We were seated just before 7:20pm (right by the front door, directly opposite the till) and ordered drinks straight away and were given the menus to look over. We knew what we wanted after about 5 minutes, but instead of the waitress coming back over as normal, she instead seated another couple and then even took their order before ours... Bit annoying! It was literally like she completely forgot we were there! Trying not to be completely rude, I tried catching her attention time after time with no such luck! She just stood around laughing and joking with the other staff members - including what I presume are the two managers (a tall, thin man in a shirt and trousers, and a blonde girl with a dressed covered in butterflies on it - not the most professional attire but there we are!) I bobbed my head around trying to attract anyone's attention, waved my arm in the air, said "excuse me" as staff members were passing, but nothing worked. In the end, Carla, who was working the other half of the restaurant, passed by and saw how agitated I was so rushed over to take our order. I explained that we had been waiting 30 minutes!! She was really apologetic and absolutely lovely.
So our food order was taken at 7:50pm and it came about 8:10pm which was good timing - obviously the kitchen have it down better than the waiters! We finished our mains at 8:30pm. So I wonder why I was sat waiting for those to be cleared for a further bloody half an hour. Again, we were clearly sat with our plates cleared and again, trying to catch people's attention. Our actual waitress who seated us again, stood around laughing and joking with the managers while stood at the till - She was directly in my eye line and even looked over a few times but didn't act on it! I was so frustrated because we had somewhere to be at 9:30pm and I didn't wanna be rude and take my anger out on her but she was not doing her job. She literally completely ignored us, like we weren't even there! In the end it got to 9pm and I didn't care, so I went over to Carla on the other side of the restaurant and asked her to come and help us. I said again that we had been kept waiting with everyone else ignoring us and she was again apologetic. I asked for the bill and some sorbet for my little sister, she cleared our mains and got the bill ready. The final straw was watching the chef put the sorbet on the pass ready to be taken out, then that same waitress walking over, standing next to it not taking notice that it was clearly there for a reason, moving over, looking at it, picking it up, putting it back down, having a conversation with the male manager for two minutes and THEN deciding to bring it over to us!! I don't usually believe in singling out a member of staff but I really hope this girl was either new or hadn't been fully trained yet and didn't know what she was doing! Because otherwise she is in the wrong bloody job. She ignored us all night and left someone else to pick up her work, which isn't fair! It was ignorant. Like I said, it was like she had completely forgot we had even been there!!
Carla brought out bill over and said she wouldn't stamp it as they usually do because I clearly wasn't happy. The food was just fine, but the service on this night has really left a bad taste in my mouth. I wish Carla would have offered that I speak to the manager to be honest, because I didn't want to ask. But I have written a letter of complaint to the restaurant regarding this, but to be honest I probably won't go back again. I wouldn't want to interrupt the waiters' social lives!!
I do want it noted though that Carla is absolutely fantastic at her job. She has served me on previous trips and is probably the only reason I would go back! She deserves to be managing that place because she seems to have better people skills than anyone else I came into contact with that night - Managers included!

• Visited February 2014