Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa
US$174
Hilton
US$172
  • Restaurant
Future Inn Cardiff Bay(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
US$202
US$197
Agoda.com
Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
US$205
US$198
Agoda.com
US$206
US$186
Sleeperz Hotel Cardiff(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
US$88
US$83
Travelocity
US$154
US$149
Travelocity
Travelodge Cardiff Atlantic Wharf(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
US$118
Travelodge
2,721 results
All reviewsprivilege roomthe underground car parkrelaxation roomcorner roomcity centreseparate showersteam roomlovely hotelchanging roomsroom was largehigh floorsuperior roomreception deskhen partyleisure facilitiesfollowing morninglovely room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 May 2013 via mobile

I have just returned from a spa weekend break at the Holland House hotel in Cardiff. I have stayed at the hotel several times before so was disappointed to see that standards have slipped. I booked the Spa Reviver package for my sister in law and I. I paid for an upgraded room and I was told when booking that robes and slippers would be in the room as part of the package as well as a £70 to spend on treatments in the spa and dinner in the hotel restaurant. When I checked in the welcome was very formal and unfriendly. We were given room 911 which was a corner room with the most amazing views over the city. The room was very large and the bathroom was also spacious and well presented. The bedroom is in need of refurbishment, walls were marked, furniture scuffed and scratched and the carpet was stained, the room was also dusty in places.
As we began to unpack I noticed that there were no robes and slippers in the room and the sofa in the room was untidy. I began to arrange the cushions to find that it was a sofa bed and the metal leg of the bed had been snapped and was sticking out which meant that the cushions couldn't be arranged correctly and the sofa couldn't be used as it was dangerous. I went to reception to report this and was told that the sofa couldn't be replaced and we didn't really need to use it! I told the receptionist that we wanted to sit down and enjoy a drink and I asked if another tub chair could be sent to the room. Reluctantly he said he'd organise this. I also said that the robes and slippers were missing from the room and he told me to get them myself from the spa!! I found the gentleman's attitude very poor, he was dismissive and he was far from helpful.
When we returned to the room we found that an extra dining chair had been placed in the seating area.
I went to reception again and this time asked to speak to the manager. I was told that a supervisor was on duty and I asked to speak to her. She immediately checked room availability and showed me two rooms on floor 14 that were free; both rooms were much smaller than our room so I decided to stay in room 911. The supervisor apologised for the errors and offered me complementary wine with dinner and cocktails, she also ensured that robes and slippers were sent to our room.
Dinner was lovely, the set menu had a good selection of courses to choose from and our waiter was attentive and friendly.
There was a slight delay between courses due to a large group in the restaurant on a hen party, to apologise for the delay, our waiter gave us two glasses of complementary wine which was appreciated!
After a drink in the bar we went back to the room and we both slept really well, the bed was really comfortable.
Breakfast was lovely, a nice selection of pastries, cereals, juices and hot choices.
Our spa treatments were booked for Sunday morning and the massage and relaxation room were excellent, the spa staff were friendly and welcoming, I would definitely use the spa again.
As I checked out, again, I found the reception staff to be dismissive and unfriendly. The hotel needs to address the quality of customer service at the reception of the hotel, very poor and not in keeping with the standards expected in a four star hotel.
Overall, we had an enjoyable weekend, but the issues with the reception staff and the room shouldn't have happened. I was happy with the supervisor's actions, but this should have been addressed straight away when I first raised my concerns. A little more care and attention to detail wouldn't go amiss to make much needed improvements and to raise standards.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank nickyrhondda2016
RoomsDivisionHH, Rooms Division Manager at Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

Dear NickyRhondda,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Mercure Holland House Hotel and I am sorry that on this occasion that your stay was not up to our usual standards that we pride ourselves on. Please contact me directly on h6622-rd@accor.com if you are returning to Cardiff and I will ensure that you are personally looked after.

Reviewed 4 May 2013 via mobile

I had a huge corner room, but I felt the soft furnishings were looking very tired. The carpet was faded and with no padding underneath so you clearly feel the concrete underneath and could see a space between two pieces of the flooring. The mattress felt older with springs noticeable, no soft coziness here! The pillows were all small and tired, the bed linens were 'durable' and were the roughest cotton sheets I've encountered. The quilt was thin and not warm. The windows, while providing a panaramic view, were dirty inside and out. On one panel the double glazing was broken so that moisture was trapped between creating a very cloudy ugly window. That aside, the room furniture was fine, the bathroom big and well done. The breakfast buffet was big with lots of choices. Decent quality, not amazing but perfectly acceptable. I had a steak for dinner and it was very nice, well cooked. What let it down was the mushroom and tomato weren't edible but otherwise a decent meal.

• Stayed: May 2013
RoomsDivisionHH, Rooms Division Manager at Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2013

Dear Kat_Obrien,

Thank you for your recent review regarding your stay at the Mercure Holland House Hotel & Spa. I am sorry that on this occasion you felt that the rooms were looking tired. We are currently due to have the windows replaced which will alleviate the condensation in the room and have a preventative maintenance plan in place for the bedrooms.

I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 3 May 2013

Can't fault this hotel for location. Not exactly in the 'centre' but a ten minute walk to John Lewis makes it near enough for me.
Car parking at the hotel is secure, providing you can get in as there are limited places. Fortunately I had no problems.
The staff are pleasant and friendly enough, and as we were 'room only' I cannot comment on any restaurant issues.
The room itself was spacious, and the bathroom well spaced out, with a deep tub and separate shower cubicle which is always a good thing.
I did get the impression our room (1009) was maybe an 'executive' room, even though our only request was for a room away from the lifts. No lift noise, but even on the 10th floor you could hear the air conditioning generators when they fired up.
The room was tired and dated, with cigarette burns in the chair, and scratches on the furniture. The bed was comfortable enough, but one thing that still baffles me is why hotels (not exclusively this one either) only present a couple of tea bags per room. Most annoying having to call down and wait for supplies. Silly thing is, when they bring you more, they fetch half a dozen!!
In summary, I would rather have paid £20 more, and stayed at the Radisson or Marriott.
This hotel is most definitely NOT a 4* compared to the other two. 3* at best.

Room Tip: Do not ask for a room at the back, that air con noise is a nuisance
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Crakajak,

Thank you for taking the time to post your throughts on here regarding your recent stay at the Mercure Holland House Hotel & Spa. Thank you for your feedback and we will use this constructively.

I hope that you will consider the hotel for your next stay in Cardiff.

Reviewed 2 May 2013

i stayed with my hubby for a weekend break, the hotel is lovely , easy to get to and car parking was was secure. checking in was easy and pleasant . we booked a
Executive Room, which was fab, a good size bathroom with bath and a separate shower, had a little lounge area and a huge bed , the view was amazing .
We used the pool area which was lovely .
The staff were helpful and pleasant .
The hotel is within walking distance to everything .
The only problem we had was the mattress was uncomfortable, i spoke to a Michael at reception who flipped mattress over and redid bed , while we were waiting we had free drinks in the bar , he was very apologetic for this and even took off the parking charge .
I would defiantly stay at this hotel again

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
RoomsDivisionHH, Rooms Division Manager at Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2013

Dear sezjb123,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay and apologies that the mattress was uncomfortable. Pleased that my team were able to rectify the problem for you.
I hope that we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 1 May 2013

Just spent a day at the Mercure Holland Spa in Cardiff. We started off in the jacuzzi then aromatherapy steam room then sauna. Nice facilities, one minor improvement would be to have a water cooler outside the sauna and steam room rather than having to go back to the changing rooms all the time. Very comfy sun loungers with padded cushions. There is a room where you can have unlimited tea & coffee and you can go in in your robe/towel and then go back into the spa. Relaxation room was just that and the blankets in there were very soft, I nearly dropped off after lunch....
We shared afternoon tea - wasn't keen on the sandwich fillings but the scones, cream & fruit was delicious and the macaroons were very tasty.
We had a facial and a massage which was very relaxing without being painful, some masseuse seem to confuse torture with massage but this was lovely.
All in all an enjoyable day and the staff were all very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Hazel S,

Fantastic that you enjoyed your spa day at the hotel and thank you for your feedback regarding the cooler and the sandwich fillings.

I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel again soon.