We stayed in the Mercure Cardiff Holland House hotel in November 2013, booking after we had received a gift of a two night spa break. I have stayed in different hotels on a weekly bases, over the last 10 years, across the country, and have never experienced such a bad attitude on reception as this hotel.
.Our room accommodation was good with great views over Cardiff. The room was clean and the bed linen was spotless. We had our evening meals in the restaurant for both nights and found the staff both attentive, helpful and friendly, the food was also delicious. When I mentioned the sauce on the fish was not to my liking, the waitress came back from speaking with the chef with other alternatives.Even a large party booked in on the second night did not deter from the service we received, nothing seemed to much trouble in this restaurant.We also meet staff in the corridors,in the lift they all made a point of acknowledging us.
We had received such good rapport from all hotel staff we had encountered so far, we did not expect any confrontation on checking out. Firstly we where told we had to pay the full accommodation, even though it had already been paid. The receptionist contacted reservations, who also appeared indifferent, and unhelpful. By this time a queue had built up and we where made to feel as if we where avoiding payment. The attitude, rudeness, lack of thought, and confrontation manner was appalling.The receptionist solution was to send one of us back to the room ( another key had to be prepared) to get the information we had discarded after check in, There appeared to be no awareness of how she was making us feel. The bill was resolved eventually, leaving us shaken and upset.
Unfortunately we had to return later to collect luggage, and wanted to speak to her line manage On doing so she kept interrupting, she then said she had asked other guests in the queue to justify her behavior,( they probably wanted to get away soon as possible) her unprofessional ism continued with her constant confrontational abrupt manner. No one corrected her..
We were visibly shaken by the aggression shown. Who needs this on a trip we had been planning for awhile. If this is the standard of the reception something needs to change.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A 4 star luxury hotel in the centre of Cardiff, 15 min walk from Cardiff Central railway and bus station and a 30 min drive from Cardiff International Airport. The hotel features 165 en suite rooms, the award winning First Floor restaurant, a stylish bar as well as a luxury leisure club and spa. 15 meeting rooms and function suites suitable for hosting conferences, events and weddings. Fibre Optic WiFi internet access. Underground parking available at the hotel at GBP 12.00 per 24 hours (subject to availability). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, ACCOR, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Holland House Cardiff Hotel Cardiff
- Mercure Holland Hotel Cardiff
- Accor Holland Hotel Cardiff
- Holland House Hotel Cardiff
- Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel And Spa Wales