Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
2,719 results
All reviewsprivilege roomthe underground car parkrelaxation roomcorner roomcity centreseparate showersteam roomlovely hotelchanging roomsroom was largehigh floorsuperior roomreception deskhen partyleisure facilitiesfollowing morninglovely room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 December 2013

We were all surprised by this hotel. The food was excellent and surpassed our expectations. The bedrooms were comforable and a good size, lovely and warm given the time of year we stayed.

Out only negative comments for this hotel would be that the spa area was distictly average - the jacuzzi was cold, the sauna very small and the pool was a little cooler than you would hope for.

The staff were all very pleasant and happy to help. Overall we found it to be good value and in a great location. Onsite car parking was great. Was supposed to be a £12 a night, but we got it for free :)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Marisa M, General Manager at Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

We were so pleased to read that you were pleasantly suprised about the hotel and that it surpassed your expecations!. A big thank thank you from us all- especially chef as he was really apprecaitive of the comments about the food.

We will investigate the water temperature of the jacuzzi as this obviosuly should not have been cold and can only apologise and address for next time for you.

We really hope you have reason to return to the hotel again soon

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Both my partner and I were really looking forwards to spending the night at this hotel on the 19th of December - we had a conference in the day on the 20th and had a meal with other delegates on the evening of the 19th.

When we arrived the gentleman who greeted us at reception was not very friendly or welcoming - we had to ask for a second key to our room. However, there was a second gentleman at reception (who was serving another customer - he appeared very friendly).

We arrived at our room, which was fine for a 4 star. It was spacious, but the bedding didn't appear as fresh or crisp as I would have expected for a 4 star. Everything appeared fine until I went to the toilet and realised we had no soap, shower gel or any toiletries in the room - I was unable to wash my hands after going to the toilet! This is so basic! I had to ask reception to send us some up, which they did very quickly.

We went for our meal in the bar area. After over an hour after ordering we were asked to sit at our table - we then waited another 30 minutes until our starters came. Starter was nice, but a little on the small side. Our mains were served, however, there had been a mix up with the order and my meal had to be prepared from scratch, just as everyone was eating theirs. It took around 15 minutes to arrive - by this time everyone else had almost finished. When it arrived it was swimming in a bed of oil. I was unable to eat it, so had to change my main with my partner's (luckily, he had not started his, whilst waiting for mine. He also stated there was far too much oil on the plate). I found this experience very distressing as someone who has just recovered from an eating disorder. Staff apologised, however did not make me feel at ease or offer for me to have something else (they had prepared another meal instead of mine, which I could have eaten, which I did in fact ask for after waiting 10 minutes, however they did not bring this to me and I had to wait another 5 minutes).

The dessert was ok, but not as specified on the menu - it was supposed to be served hot, but in fact came cold.

Our room was on the 4th floor - we were able to hear music from the Christmas party below until after 1am - thus, we did not get a good night sleep at all. I even had ear plugs in and could hear the music.

In the morning our safe would not open - we called reception, who said maintenance would be on their way. We waited 30minutes, but had to leave the room as our conference was about to start. My partner had to leave in the middle of the conference to go with the maintenance man to open our safe.

Booking the hotel was not an easy venture either. When I rang the hotel they quoted £135 for both me and my partner as the best rate they could do, however with a little research on the net we got the room through laterooms.co.uk for £79!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pixiegirl83

Many thanks for taking the time to post your feedback about your stay. We are sorry to read that you encoutered a few challenges but pleased to see that the team reacted immediately and addressed every concern you raised.

We are sorry that we did not exceed your expecations on this occassion and hope to have the opportunity to impress you next time

Reviewed 18 December 2013

A 2-night visit. The last time I stayed here 3 years ago, I though it was really excellent. Sadly, things seem to have slipped somewhat.

My room could have done with a refurb as it was looking rather tired and tatty.The carpeting was in particularly poor condition, the furnishings were looking rather worn and knocked around. There was a huge crack right across one of the windows and, despite having the heating system set to 28 degrees, I couldn't get the room warm.

I also found the overall ambience in the spa area to be on the chilly side. And the floor in the male changing room was filthy.

Dinner in the bar was extremely good, served by and extremely attentive barman. Shame one of the draft lagers had run out, though. Breakfast on the other hand was a rather dismal affair. Terrible scrambled eggs my first morning with undercooked bacon. The scrambled eggs looked the same the next day and the fried egg I tried instead was like rubber. Butter not kept cool so it was like oil. All it takes is to have the butter portions sitting on a tray of ice. Staff were pleasant enough but I really don't like my plates being whisked away from me the instant I finish.

Final comment is that I thought it a bit of a cheek, given the overall cost of my stay, to charge me £24 for parking on checkout.

Room Tip: Go high - the views are spectacular.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

We really appreciate you taking the time to write your honest feedback about your recent stay. We can only apologise for the crack in the window but can confirm a refurbishment plan is currently underway to address such issues in 2014.
We will invesitgate your concerns raised regarding your breakfast experience as our breakfasts usually receive positive comments rather than negative.

Many thanks again for your feedback and we really hope to have the opportunity to exceed your expectations next time

Reviewed 18 December 2013

We booked last minute stay for Saturday and Sunday night . We checked in late on Saturday afternoon. At the time of check in we have been told that our booking is not pre-paid even we have booked advanced purchase offer. As we booked on Friday, perhaps no one was able to proceed payment and this was not big deal for us. Directly after,Receptioninst avised us that breakfast was not included in our booking. My friend had confirmation saved on his phone, so we proved that we booked accommodation with breakfast included. We have been told that this will be sorted. As hotel was busy with Christmas party, we could not have a dinner in the restaurant and have been advised that there is the table in separate area where we can 'speak to staff' and order from Room service menu. As we looked at the 'dining' option closely, we decided to order Room service to the room as it was much more suitable than offered space. When we get to the room we realised that the room is accessible room with really small bath and perhaps not used long time as it was very dusty. We asked to change the room and Receptionist came upstairs with new keyes and walked us to our new room where bath was much bigger and where was also shower. This room was really dusty as well especially on the bed frame, so perhaps not used long time as well ? We finally settled and ordered Room service. Service took definatelly more than promised 25 minutes, and we did not get salt and peper with our food.We still have been charged tray charge even the dinight option were more than limited. Night was very quiet and we did not hear any noice from the party, which give us good night sleep. Relaxed we entered breakfast room in the morning, where another surprise waited for us. Restaurant staff told us again that breakfast is unfortunately not inlcuded and we had to got downstairs to Front Desk to show conifrmatio agai to duty manager and again have been told that it is goint to be sorted. Regretably it did not happened and next morning we experienced the same scenario . Again breakfast was not inlcuded. This time we rejected to go downstairs to Front desk and called duty manager upstairs. He told us that he cannot find our reservation at all. At least he asked to forward him confirmation and promised to speak Revenue Manager about the rate plans and packages.We have checked out later with mixed feelings.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Veronika K

We were so sorry to read of the mix up with your booking and the issues trying to amend your reservation to bed and breakfast. I am personally looking in this as there is no excuse to have casued you such an inconvenience each morning.

I would be grateful if you could contact me on the below number in order to discuss further the outcome as I totally apprecaite your comments of - not impressed

Reviewed 18 December 2013

Stayed last weekend with a group of us for Christmas Party. Not in hotel that just used as base.
Room ok and lot of space didn't really take to the false eyelash on my bedside cabinet mind!!
One of the windows had a big crack in it.
As residents would expect to have a drink in the bar. but twice turned away because private partys were using the bars and 2nd time taken into a small room adjacent to bar to use which I declined.
Breakfast was ok nothing but run of the mill. Good car park, and was aware of charge.
Would I stay when in Cardiff again, maybe but would try other hotels availability 1st.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

We appreciate you taking the time to post a review about your recent stay. We are sorry if you were disappointed by the smaller bar that replaced the usual residence bar during on this occassion. The reason we offer this bar during the busy season is to ensure our residence are able to access a quieter bar not feel as if they are intruding on a party night.

We really do hope that you will stay with us again and take advantage of some of the great amenities we have to offer as we would also like the opportunity to exceed your expectations too.