“fantastic hotel”

Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa
Ranked #12 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Stayed here for two nights, great room very clean and comfy and great views, bed realy nice. Would definitely come back again.staff very good and helpful,food was lovely we had a great stay. Cardiff town 2 minutes away.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
RoomsDivisionHH, Rooms Division Manager at Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Thank you for your fantastic review, I do hope that we can welcome you back again very soon. If you are not already a member of our great loyalty scheme, Le Club, then please ask when you make your next booking and you can start receiving the great benefits associated with the scheme.

Michelle Howells
Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed 21 April 2014

First impression is wow 12th floor room and the view is great although our room looked down at the prison,further you could see Cardiff bay etc.Room getting little tired with curtains needing fixing and marks on carpet.All the staff we met were very nice and polite and the leisure facilities where very good.Overall good stay was had.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with redspottedhanky.com
Marisa M, General Manager at Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review. We were so pleased you enjoyed the views and found the staff polite and leisure facilities good. We are currenlty preparing a few mock rooms in advance of our refurbishment which does include replacing the carpets and soft furnishings in all our rooms- so hopefully next time we can WOW you with the room not just the view!!

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

For the price brilliant value.... Great room really comfy beds room very clean and tidy....plenty of hot water ...coffee and tea.....and fab service reception staff A++ would be my 1st choice when I stay in cardiff again!! :-)

• Stayed: April 2014

Thank you so much for your review and positve comments- it is great to read you had a 'Brilliant' stay and scored us A++

We hope we will be your first choice too when you return to Cardiff

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Reception area dosent reflex the bedroom...we were given a upgrade room with views of city...windows that dirty u cant see out, furniture battered, bathroom fittings old in need of a good bleach. No toiletries, one towel and generally in need of a good clean...carpets worn and stained and generally dirty. Have to say we were really disappointed with the lack of service and standard of room..dispite asking for standard tea coffee, towles etc for the room we didnt get any for the whole 3 day stay

• Stayed: April 2014

We are so sorry that we did not exceed your expectations with us during your recent stay. Our windows unfortunately do have a film over them that can make them appear dirty. We only wish that we had been made aware of your concerns during your stay and had the opportunity to address them for you.
If you would like to contact me to discuss your feedback, please do not hesitate to call me on my mobile detailed below

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Spent three nights at the Mecure Cardiff Holland and was very impressed. The room was large, well laid out, with bath and separate shower. The beds were extremely comfy.

The swimming pool is a definite plus, 25metres large pool, with Jacuzzi and sauna.

Staff very friendly and helpful. Bar food good.

For breakfast try the Elderberry café around the corner, full breakfast for under a fiver and lovely friendly staff.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

We were thrilled to read that you found our new beds really 'comfy' and the facilities a big plus too!!

Thank you so much for your review and recommending the hotel.
We hope to welcome you back again soon

Reviewed 18 April 2014

I booked this hotel as me and my girlfriend were visiting Cardiff for the weekend, and I decided that I would book a really nice hotel as a bit of a suprise.

On arrival it was looking really good. Car park is ideal and no stress about where to go or anything. Wayne was on reception and he was really helpful. He checked us in efficiently and was polite and proffessional.

I had booked an upgraded room with a city view and it definitely lived up to what I was hoping for. Great view, room was a good size and the bed was really comfy. My other half did notice that there was a large tear in the sofa though, can't say I was that disgusted and didn't feel the need to take photos and moan.

We left to have a night in Cardiff and again Wayne was really helpful. Told us where to go and gave us a map to get there.

So far so good but unfortunately it went a bit wrong when we returned and tried to order room service. All we wanted was a bottle of wine and some ice cream. The room service took ages to answer, and before I even opened my mouth the lady said 'There's not much we can offer because the menu has finished, it's really only sandwiches'. Ace, start on a good note! I explained I just wanted a bottle and some ice cream. She then said all the ice cream was sold out. Every flavour. Then she mumbled about not being able to get into the freezer anyway. Then she said he would check with her boss, when she came back on she said we can have a choice of ice cream, and it would be up in 30 mins! Sorry for being cynical but to me that sounded like she just couldn't be bothered! I had paid a fair amount of money for the room and to be honest expected a bit better customer service than that.
Five mins later the room phone rang. Another member of staff (male) said if I want my room service order I would need to go down to reception and authorise payment!! Why couldn't this be done a)over the phone, b)when I checked in, c)when I checked out??
Considering how much this was going to cost me I told him to forget the order! Talk about not worth the hassle.

Breakfast was chaotic in the morning, the room is just too small for the amount of guests. We got sent to a table that already had people on it!!

On the subject of breakfast, the cost to order it when I booked the room was £16.95 each. Scandalous if you ask me so I didn't order it. However, when I checked in I was told I could pre-order it for £10 each. Still expensive but acceptable I guess so booked. I would have been majorly annoyed if I had paid £33.90 for breakfast then offered it for £20!!

We used the swimming pool too which was average. Locker rooms look like they need a refurb and the swimming pool itself looked a shadow of what it looks like on the photos. The shower that is next to the pool looks like it belongs in a hostel!

This is my first tripadvisor review and probably my last, always thought they were a bit petty, but I just felt dissappointed to have paid full whack for a very average hotel. Especially when we walked along the bay and saw the St David hotel I considered and it looked amazing!

Room Tip: City view rooms are impressive
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

We were really disappointed to read that your stay was 'let down by service' and that we did not have the opportunity to address your concerns for you during your stay with us.

We have investigated the issues and would welcome the chance to discuss with you if at all possible- my mobile number is listed below.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Booked a 3 day Christmas package on a recommendation from last year's guest. One expects over Christmas this to include meals -ALL meals especially as brochure said ALL meals. Everything OK until just before Christmas message from Hotel to ask if we wanted to book Christmas evening meal for extra payment and there were only a few places left! This could not be correct so contacted hotel where I was told that only the meals listed on a page of brochure were included, but I pointed out the next page said ALL meals! Thought this must be incorrect and it would be sorted out on arrival. Checked with friend whether all meals included in 2012- yes. Checked with other Mercure hotels with similar packages, yes all meals in 3 day package included. On booking in checked with desk clerk yes they were. Checked with restaurant told yes they were. Later Something made me check again at desk and management appeared and said no we would have to pay extra for Christmas day evening buffet. not happy at this so bought a bar snack!! What SORT of HOTEL offers a 3 day Christmas package with nothing on Christmas evening when everywhere is closed? On Christmas Eve was told to go to restaurant at certain time but on arrival 3 minutes early found restaurant already full with no tables left. Difficult to get served with some dishes running out. At breakfast food ran out and kitchen staff did not check this for about 10-15 minutes! Poor service. Most of staff though were good and room was excellent. Quality of food at Christmas lunch excellent. Difficult to find garage entrance so inquire before arrival. Wrote to manager after returned home about this and did not even get a reply from her! It is a shame that this sort of treatment spoilt what was nice hotel. Very dubious package advertising!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

We were sorry to read your comments posted about your Christmas stay with us as we genuinely believed your concerns had been resolved. We were pleased though to read that inspite of the confusion with the meals included in your Christmas package the food and rooms were excellent.
We would like to take this opportunity to again apologise for any confusion with the brochure and will ensure all future collateral clearly lists all meals included.