“Bloody Awful Parking Experience!”

Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa
Ranked #11 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
“Bloody Awful Parking Experience!”
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed in Mercure Cardiff for a night. At first I thought that this hotel had good facilities. Little did I know that they lack parking spaces although they told me to park there. A Mercedes Benz parked in a PRIVATE space and after I tried to do the same, they told me I couldn't because its saved for paramedics. Bloody hipocrisy! Save your time by going a nearby car park instead. The staff doesn't care and neither should you.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Becarefuloneating
RoomsDivisionHH, Rooms Division Manager at Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank you for your review and I am sorry that you were not happy on this occassion due to the parking problems you encountered. We do only have limited parking in the basement of the hotel and I am sorry that on this occassion you were misinformed about where you could park. I have personally followed this up with the Front Desk team.

I do hope that we can welcome you back again soon.

Michelle Howells
Rooms Division Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Stayed here for two nights, great room very clean and comfy and great views, bed realy nice. Would definitely come back again.staff very good and helpful,food was lovely we had a great stay. Cardiff town 2 minutes away.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your fantastic review, I do hope that we can welcome you back again very soon. If you are not already a member of our great loyalty scheme, Le Club, then please ask when you make your next booking and you can start receiving the great benefits associated with the scheme.

Michelle Howells
Rooms Division Manager
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

First impression is wow 12th floor room and the view is great although our room looked down at the prison,further you could see Cardiff bay etc.Room getting little tired with curtains needing fixing and marks on carpet.All the staff we met were very nice and polite and the leisure facilities where very good.Overall good stay was had.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with redspottedhanky.com

Marisa M, General Manager at Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review. We were so pleased you enjoyed the views and found the staff polite and leisure facilities good. We are currenlty preparing a few mock rooms in advance of our refurbishment which does include replacing the carpets and soft furnishings in all our rooms- so hopefully next time we can WOW you with the room not just the view!!

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

For the price brilliant value.... Great room really comfy beds room very clean and tidy....plenty of hot water ...coffee and tea.....and fab service reception staff A++ would be my 1st choice when I stay in cardiff again!! :-)

• Stayed April 2014
Thank you so much for your review and positve comments- it is great to read you had a 'Brilliant' stay and scored us A++

We hope we will be your first choice too when you return to Cardiff

england
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Reception area dosent reflex the bedroom...we were given a upgrade room with views of city...windows that dirty u cant see out, furniture battered, bathroom fittings old in need of a good bleach. No toiletries, one towel and generally in need of a good clean...carpets worn and stained and generally dirty. Have to say we were really disappointed with the lack of service and standard of room..dispite asking for standard tea coffee, towles etc for the room we didnt get any for the whole 3 day stay

• Stayed April 2014
We are so sorry that we did not exceed your expectations with us during your recent stay. Our windows unfortunately do have a film over them that can make them appear dirty. We only wish that we had been made aware of your concerns during your stay and had the opportunity to address them for you.
If you would like to contact me to discuss your feedback, please do not hesitate to call me on my mobile detailed below

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Spent three nights at the Mecure Cardiff Holland and was very impressed. The room was large, well laid out, with bath and separate shower. The beds were extremely comfy.

The swimming pool is a definite plus, 25metres large pool, with Jacuzzi and sauna.

Staff very friendly and helpful. Bar food good.

For breakfast try the Elderberry café around the corner, full breakfast for under a fiver and lovely friendly staff.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
We were thrilled to read that you found our new beds really 'comfy' and the facilities a big plus too!!

Thank you so much for your review and recommending the hotel.
We hope to welcome you back again soon

Reviewed 18 April 2014

I booked this hotel as me and my girlfriend were visiting Cardiff for the weekend, and I decided that I would book a really nice hotel as a bit of a suprise.

On arrival it was looking really good. Car park is ideal and no stress about where to go or anything. Wayne was on reception and he was really helpful. He checked us in efficiently and was polite and proffessional.

I had booked an upgraded room with a city view and it definitely lived up to what I was hoping for. Great view, room was a good size and the bed was really comfy. My other half did notice that there was a large tear in the sofa though, can't say I was that disgusted and didn't feel the need to take photos and moan.

We left to have a night in Cardiff and again Wayne was really helpful. Told us where to go and gave us a map to get there.

So far so good but unfortunately it went a bit wrong when we returned and tried to order room service. All we wanted was a bottle of wine and some ice cream. The room service took ages to answer, and before I even opened my mouth the lady said 'There's not much we can offer because the menu has finished, it's really only sandwiches'. Ace, start on a good note! I explained I just wanted a bottle and some ice cream. She then said all the ice cream was sold out. Every flavour. Then she mumbled about not being able to get into the freezer anyway. Then she said he would check with her boss, when she came back on she said we can have a choice of ice cream, and it would be up in 30 mins! Sorry for being cynical but to me that sounded like she just couldn't be bothered! I had paid a fair amount of money for the room and to be honest expected a bit better customer service than that.
Five mins later the room phone rang. Another member of staff (male) said if I want my room service order I would need to go down to reception and authorise payment!! Why couldn't this be done a)over the phone, b)when I checked in, c)when I checked out??
Considering how much this was going to cost me I told him to forget the order! Talk about not worth the hassle.

Breakfast was chaotic in the morning, the room is just too small for the amount of guests. We got sent to a table that already had people on it!!

On the subject of breakfast, the cost to order it when I booked the room was £16.95 each. Scandalous if you ask me so I didn't order it. However, when I checked in I was told I could pre-order it for £10 each. Still expensive but acceptable I guess so booked. I would have been majorly annoyed if I had paid £33.90 for breakfast then offered it for £20!!

We used the swimming pool too which was average. Locker rooms look like they need a refurb and the swimming pool itself looked a shadow of what it looks like on the photos. The shower that is next to the pool looks like it belongs in a hostel!

This is my first tripadvisor review and probably my last, always thought they were a bit petty, but I just felt dissappointed to have paid full whack for a very average hotel. Especially when we walked along the bay and saw the St David hotel I considered and it looked amazing!

Room Tip: City view rooms are impressive