I booked the Mercure on the basis of tripadvisor reviews. Just to clarify, there is pay-and-display on street parking directly behind the hotel which is £3.00 for 10 hours and free overnight till 9am. (hotel parking is £12 per 24 hours)
Checked in around 9.30pm and had to literally battle our way past half a wedding reception who'd chosen to use the front entrance as their smoking area and it looked a mess. I know how hard it can be to round up drunken revellers, but had the hotel a dedicated smoking area for the function suite then this wouldn't be a problem. I said as much to the front desk staff who were polite and understanding and took my comments on board. Not only that, the receptionist gave us a complimentary room upgrade to make up for it, which certainly shut me up.
The room was very well appointed, spacious and with amazing views. The decor was tasteful if a little tired. On the whole it was very comfortable and pleasant. Breakfast was a revelation, served till 11 which was a bonus, the breakfast room itself was absolutely heaving, but this was not reflected in the attitude and attentiveness of the staff, nor the food quality, all of which were exceptional. Plates were cleared instantly and unobtrusively. and in spite of the hubub, we felt relaxed and under no obligation to hurry. It is one of if not perhaps the best quality hot breakfast we've had in a hotel. Having worked in a Hilton hotel and being very familiar with 4* high volume hotel breakfast catering, I can only say I have no idea how they manage to produce sugh a high standard hot buffet.
Our only dissapointment was the fact that the hot tub was out of order. Other guests were commenting that it had been such since May, which is not really acceptable.
On the whole, this is a professionally-run hotel in a great location and for the £100 b&b rate we had, excellent value. We will definitely return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A 4 star luxury hotel in the centre of Cardiff, 15 min walk from Cardiff Central railway and bus station and a 30 min drive from Cardiff International Airport. The hotel features 165 en suite rooms, the award winning First Floor restaurant, a stylish bar as well as a luxury leisure club and spa. 15 meeting rooms and function suites suitable for hosting conferences, events and weddings. Fibre Optic WiFi internet access. Underground parking available at the hotel at GBP 12.00 per 24 hours (subject to availability). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with ACCOR, Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Holland House Cardiff Hotel Cardiff
- Mercure Holland Hotel Cardiff
- Accor Holland Hotel Cardiff
- Holland House Hotel Cardiff
- Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel And Spa Wales