“Fab hotel but information received was incorrect.”

Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa
Ranked #12 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
“Fab hotel but information received was incorrect.”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I was arranging a hen weekend and decided to stay at this hotel so we could use the spa facilities.
Due to us having an odd number I wanted to find out if they could do rooms for 3 people so no one was on their own. I also wanted to find out if all the rooms would be close together so I phoned the hotel 2 weeks before our weekend. I was told by the reception staff that they did not do rooms for 3 people and we would have to pay a surcharge on the single occupancy room. I was also told that as they only have a small number of twin rooms on each floor we would not be able to get rooms close together. I was a little disappointed but it wasn't too much of an issue - apart from the surcharge. When we arrived at the hotel and allocated our rooms, we realised that we were in fact all together on the same floor and all next to each other - bonus! The room I was given had a double and a single in it, perfectly capable of fitting 3 grown adults so I was a little annoyed that I was given incorrect information. Fortunately one of the girls dropped out at the last minute so we didn't end up paying the surcharge but I was a little annoyed that we were given incorrect information which would of resulted in paying the hotel more money when we clearly didn't need to.
After all that said, the rooms were very spacious and clean, the bathrooms were lovely too with a powerful shower and we all thoroughly enjoyed the spa.
Its a fab hotel but be careful when booking for groups at they will give you the wrong information to try to get more money from you.

• Stayed June 2014
Sean T, Manager at Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear Pezette,

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback on your recent stay.

You are right in that some of our rooms can accommodate 3 adults however the rates are always based on twin occupancy hence the surcharge. I apologise for any confusion when this was explained to you.

I'm glad that you all had a great time whilst you were here and hope that you have a chance to return soon.

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (479)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Cardiff
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This is a very good hotel for the price. Cardiff is, on the whole, relatively expensive for weekends away. This place is by no means cheap but when you compare it to the other hotels in the area for similar money it has a really good quality gym and spa and a good sized swimming pool. its close to the city centre (<5 min walk to top of Queen Street) and has on site parking if required (£15 per 24 hrs I think).

The room was very clean, spacious and the hotel in general was very well kept.

The reception area is very nice, although when checking out there were only 2 staff on and they were a little overrun meaning we had a little wait. We didnt eat or drink at the hotel so cant comment on food.

All in all this is a great hotel with great amenities and we would return if we were in Cardiff again for the weekend.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CRG_84
We very much appreciate you taking the time to review of hotel. I'm glad you felt we offer great value and £12 for overnight parking is one of the best prices you'll find in town.

We hope you get a chance to return for another relaxing weekend in the very near future!!

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have visited this hotel at least once a year for the past 5 years, we absolutely love this hotel, the staff are fantastic, the location is fantasic and the hotel facilities are fantastic, we travel from Manchester to spend some quality time in this fantastic city, cannot fault anything 10/10....

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Chris G, we're glad to hear you both enjoyed your stay again this year and appreciate you coming back to our great city.

Look forward to seeing you back next year!!

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I came to cardiff for our anniversary I booked this hotel back in January and wow what a hotel. on arrival was told we'd been upgraded bonus one word to describe our visit amazing!! Hotel was spotless and the staff really friendly would highly recommend this hotel. Magnificent views of the city from our rom (802). Will defiantly be returning. Thanks for a wonderful weekend

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Eminen24
Thank you so much for your review and it was our pleasure to look after you both on your anniversary.

We hope you get a chance to return soon!!

Reviewed 6 July 2014

It's difficult to know where to start as there is quite a long list of things that were poor and could do with improving. To start with the positives the location of the hotel is good, the room we had was lovely and the view was amazing. The spa treatments were also nice. On a less positive note the pool and leisure facilities were dirty - used towels, robes and slippers littered in the changing rooms. Some locker doors were hanging off their hinges and there were tiles missing in the swimming pool. Dirty towels and robes were also left on the sun loungers and we saw no one tidy up in the hour and half that we sat there. Evening meal was ok although we sent dessert back as it should have been cold but must have been left out and had become warm and inedible. The restaurant manager was cocky, as were some of the bar staff and not particularly helpful or friendly. Breakfast was just ok. The hotel seems a big hit with hen parties and maybe this has lowered the standards somewhat. It is definitely not a 4 star hotel, it is more on the lines of a 2 star Fawlty Towers! Having said all that we were with good company and still had a fun time. Probably wouldn't go back though.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Chellebelle49
Dear Chellebelle49,

I'm sorry that we did not meet all of your expectations. I believe you were in the company of Ceggy during your stay and similarly I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay with you directly.

Please contact me via H6622-OM@accor.com or by calling 029 2043 5000 should you wish to do so.

I do hope to hear from you soon.

London
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Below average on all counts.

1. When we checked in, they only had a record of two out of 3 rooms we'd booked
2. Our Spa treatments were cancelled due to a sick spa member
3. Skid marks in all the toilets - this was obviously disgusting
4. Towels strewn all over the pool area
5. Pool area very run down and needs maintenance
6. Windows need cleaning
7. Bar staff very slow with no initiative. It wasn't even busy...
8. Slippers are lethal. My friend is pregnant and nearly went flying when wearing them around the spa
9. No robe in friends room plus her room stank of smoke
10. Tasteless dessert. We sent them back to the kitchen
11. Full of stag and hen parties
12. On check out we weren't even asked how our stay was. I suspect because many people complain about the poor standards in the hotel

On a plus side, it's very central and the treatments we did eventually have were nice. But it definitely isn't a 4 star and would need quite a bit of work to get it up to that standard.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Ceggy
Dear Ceggy,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and we appreciate the feedback. I'm sorry that we did not meet your expectations on a number of accounts. It is always our intention that our guests leave having experienced a positive stay and we are genuinely dissappointed when they don't.

We are in the process of refurbishing the accommodation rooms and have recently updgraded the pool area. Your comments will also assist in our continuous improvement process and with our staff customer care program. I appreciate this won't impact your last stay however we do value feedback and ensure it is used to grow from.

On the positive side I'm glad that you got to enjoy the Spa facilities and that your treatments and location of the hotel were a plus.

If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel on 029 2043 5000.