“Cannot stress my frustration enough - awful customer service!!”

Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa
Ranked #12 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 17 July 2014

What was a small issue with our booking has now left me chasing a refund for 3 weeks - and I am still chasing! I was booked into the Holland House Hotel as part of a group booking and my partner who had been training in Wales with the Army chose to surprise me and book a room for us to see each other. When he joined me at the hotel and showed his booking the receptionist replied that there were no rooms and a technical issue is the reason we were able to book. End of.
No apologie. No alternative solution. No suggestion of the Mercure Hotel round the corner. We questioned if we would be charged and it was confirmed that we wouldn't be. My partner went back to base and that was that. Until 2 days later when we see we have been charged! Turns our my partner actually booked the Mercure Hotel round the corner but the receptionist failed to notice this on our booking when we arrived and failed to mention that there was another Mercure which may explain the reason we were able to book! Naturally we were annoyed as we would have gone round the corner and not wasted £54!
When phoning to try and resolve this we were constantly told we would receive a call back to which we spent a week chasing around the hotels management before being told they wouldn't do anything about it!!
I therefore decided to phone central customer services team, explained my issues which took a while over an awful phone line (!) but was reassured they understood my problem and were raising a case. I then received an email, addressed to the hotel with the case explained and an answer requested within 72 hours. Feeling better....until a week later I have heard nothing and on phoning the central team and providing my case number they tell me they mistakenly sent me that email and never sent it to the hotel!! A very pathetic apologies and lots of "buts" has left me more than annoyed! I have requested an answer within 48hours/before the weekend.
I simply want my £54 back for an honest mistake that the receptionist should have A. noticed if she had bothered to take more care or B. suggested the alternative Mercure hotel for accommodation (for which we had booked anyway and could have stayed in!) They cant give me back 3 weeks of my wasted energy for chasing them around for an answer - that is just poor customer service they need to address! (and maybe a lesson in selling the hotel round the corner when they are fully booked!) Ridiculous!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nat_Lou_Byne
Sean T, Manager at Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear Nat_Lou_Byne,

I'm sorry that you felt your experience was below par and for any inconvenience in getting a resolution. I believe this has now been resolved for you however please feel free to contact me directly on 029 2043 5000 if this is not the case.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

This hotel was recently updated. The rooms were a good size and in top condition. The hotel is a renovated office tower. We enjoyed our stay at this hotel. It was close to high street and Cardiff Castle. We found a nice Indian restaurant close by. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ludwig K

Thanks Ludwig K for the review. We're lucky to be located so close to everything in Cardiff.

Hope you get a chance to return soon.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

This hotel is a good value mid range hotel that is very central. Our room was on the 7th floor with nice views over the area. I think we had a disabled room which wasn't what we needed but still perfectly fine. I would recommend this hotel if you are in a wheelchair though as there was many adaptations that I know my disabled dad would benefit from in our room. Extremely helpful staff on reception especially Wayne who gave us a map and directions to some lovely bars and restaurants and really took the time to explain everything.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 7th floor which offered some nice views with huge windows. Not good if you suffer w...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

We appreciate you taking the time to write the review and glad to that Wayne looked after you so well. He really is an asset to our team. I'll be sure to pass your comments on to him.

I hope you get a chance to return again in the very near future.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We were very pleasantly surprised when we checked in late after booking a business class room and were upgraded to a penthouse suite!

As it was late we had amazing views over the city, down to the bay - all lit up.

The rooms were huge, big sitting room with wrap round sofa, big bedroom and a lovely bathroom. The guy who showed us up was very friendly - as indeed were all the staff.

It feels a little churlish to say the breakfast was not as good as the rest of the hotel. The room was chaotic and hot and it would have been much better to have tea & coffee served at the table.

The food standard was only just ok - which is a shame - as the overall standard of the hotel was good.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor for the views
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear JuwariahBristol,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Hotel. The views from the rooms are superb and are always enhanced when the weather is as good as it has been!

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Regards,

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I booked 2 nights here to treat my Mum to a luxurious few days together and I was very disappointed with our stay. Most definitely not deserving of a 4*rating.
After a long wait at check in we were greeted to the wrong room with a double bed instead of 2 singles as requested. This was sorted out quickly but sadly the stay was marred by the tired and outdated room.
Tattered furniture, shabby paint job, worn carpets, slow internet, horrible hard mattress that left me with a bad back and minimal channels on TV. I was at least expecting bath robes & slippers at a "resort & spa" sadly not.
Not even complimentary bottled water insight £4.50 for a bottle and a £2.50 delivery fee was grumpily told "I could come and get it myself" when the restaurant reacted to my surprise at the cost!
I wanted to book my Mum in for a massage, but was told they were fully booked for the both days we were there. I was so embarrassed to tell her that she could not have one. I have never had to book in advance at a hotel before. Ruined the point of being there.
To make matters worse they had some kind of audition going on at the hotel and only one of the lifts was working so it took an age to get down to the lobby. Lift filled to the brim with crew and participants stopping at every floor. Not my idea of relaxation.
The only plus sides was the gym, which was well equipped and clean and the location. Other than that expect no luxury here!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Laura H

Dear Laura H,

I'm sorry that we did not meet all of your expectations during your recent visit.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this in further detail with you directly. Please contact me via H6622-OM@accor.com or Phone 029 2043 5000 should you wish to do so.

I do hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed here at the weekend. Had a large family room on the top floors with panoramic windows offering fab views out to the sea. Room was very spacious a had a proper 3rd bed as apposed to a foldaway. Large bathroom with separate walk-in shower. Flat screen TV, Chairs and a separate working area in the corner with panoramic windows around 2 sides. Close to the main shopping street. A bit more of a walk to Mary St and the Stadium. Would stay here again. lovely pool, hot tub, sauna, steam room. Hotel also offers great midweek/weekend spa breaks at very reasonable prices.

Room Tip: High floors have fab views.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for the fantastic review and I'm pleased you and the family enjoyed your stay. Mercure Hotels are all about offering something for the business traveller to leisure guest alike.

We hope you all get the opportunity to visit again soon.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I have to preface this review by saying I was part of a 30 person tour group that was booked into this hotel by the tour company. So I’m not sure of the price per room, but I want to share what I experienced and know about this place. Very good elevators. On first looking at the room I was very impressed, however upon a closer look my enthusiasm was much less. Room was very large, comfortable bed, well appointed. But carpet was in dire need of replacement. Maybe we had a room the is not occupied much. (might come with being in a group) If the carpet was replaced and a couple of cobwebs removed I would impressed. See pictures. Location is pretty good, less than a mile to the castle and even closer to shopping.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear washmont,

Thanks for the review and I do hope you enjoyed (or still are enjoying) the tour.

We are about to start some refurbishment works (from 28th July) which will include the replacement of the carpet both inside the rooms and in the exterior corridors. I wish that it could have been done before your visit.

I hope that you'll get a chance to return to visit in the future and we get another chance to impress you.