“Great Stay”

Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa
Ranked #13 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed Friday 11th for one night in 1207 privilege room nice extras and great size room with everything you could need . Lovely bathroom with huge bath and separate shower . The thing that makes this hotel stand out is excellent staff from check in to check out every staff member was great .

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Marisa M, General Manager at Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

'WOW'- thank you so much for posting your great review and recommending the hotel. The team have all shared your comments - especially about the customer service- big smiles all around.

We hope you have reason to return to us again soon

Regards

Marisa Morteo

Write a ReviewReviews (2,609)

Reviewed 28 July 2014

The room was large and comfy, despite the suspious stains all over the little chairs.
The bathroom was large, but the toilet seat wasn't fitted properly so it slipped when you sat on it and the toilet roll holder was broken.
There was only complimentary shampoo and a half bottle shower gel. Not that I needed it, but it looked half-done.
The restaurant food was incredibley over-priced for what you get. We waited over 45mins for food without an explanination or apolgy, even though I tried to get waiters attention. The restaurant only had about 8 people in at the time so I couldn't understand the huge delay on two "burgers" (They were awful).
The breakfast was stale and flies were buzzing around the cooked food. The coffee was cold even though I asked for a fresh one. The staff seemed to not give a rats really.
Later I order 3 take-away coffees from the lounge and received the wrong order, in half filled paper cups. To add insult to injury, I felt totally robbed that it totalled £10.30 and when I questioned it, the girl rudely said "It is what it is".
Disgusting service, food and prices. I wouldn't recommend or stay here again.

2  Thank Jesstrange
Sean T, Manager at Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Jessstrange,

Thank you again for taking the time today to discuss your stay with me in further detail. I apologise again that our service did not live up to your expectations. As mentioned we value our guests' feedback and it is only through this that we can guage what we are doing well and where we may need to improve.

Your comments will greatly assist us as we strive to continuously improve and I'm positive that should you decide to return you will get to experience this first hand.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 26 July 2014

I stayed for one night on a spa reviver break with my mum and I was very pleased with the whole experience. The value for money was exceptionally good and the service we received was excellent. There were only a few minor downsides to the experience including the stained carpets in the hotel and the slipperyness of the changing room floors apart from this the whole stay was really good. I would definately return.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

We were thrilled to read you had an 'excellent' stay with us and you are your mum enjoyed the whole spa experience.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review and we hope to 'wow' you even more when you return again with our newly refurbished rooms.

Kind regards

Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Simply the best hotel to stay in within the Cardiff area. Been here at least 5 times and it's always been great. Would recommend upgraded to the queen room personally as more space in the room. Staff friendly and within a 5minute walk of the city centre. Perfect.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Cardiffboy02

Many thanks for your 5* rating and review. The team were thrilled to read your feedback and for your recommendation.

We hope to be able to welcome you back many more times and please do ask after our newly refurbished rooms too as our rooms are undergoing a fantastic make-over!!

Kind regards

Reviewed 25 July 2014

My husband and I stayed for one night recently. I always seem to forget to ask if there are any weddings or conferences. Well you guessed it the 'Cardiff Tattoo conference' was on. You had to fight your way up the stairs and through loads of tattooed,pieced people puffing on cigarettes (and other stuff) before you got to the main entrance door. Though they seemed friendly enough it was intimidating sharing lifts with loads of them.
Reception was nice and bright.the staff welcomed you,cheery giving you all the information you needed taxi's directions etc.
Our room was ok had a nice view,its was not perfect,cigarette burn on the bath,scratches,carpet could have been cleaner (stained not hoovered) and windows (inside).
The bar was spacious and nicely decorated,however the furniture had rips in it which was a disappointment.
The best part was the spa relaxation room and staff very nice,it was a chance to get way from the crowds without having a spa treatment.
Now the Tweaks,breakfast was stone cold, with cold plates to put food on,Service was ok (staff could have been a bit happier to help)however I'm used to hotels and asking for poached eggs but there wasn't a menu or any information that it was offered as a young lady stood for ages waiting for some one to ask ,the chef was grumpy so you dare not ask him for anything. Very disappointing.
Another tweak is the inconsistancy of the reception staff. when we checked out she didn't ask about our stay just took our parking money and that was it no thank you or safe journey.
All in all not a bad hotel (I've stayed in worse), near to city centre and shops,bar and food a bit pricey.Breakfast needs to be warmer and with warm plates.All staff need to be welcoming and have good customer service not just the odd one.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Sean T, Manager at Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Thank you Debbie E for your feedback and I hope the Cardiff Tattoo and Toy Convention didn't mar your stay too much. I'm pleased to know that you found a retreat in our Spa and had time to relax.

I appreciate your comments on breakfast and the team inconsistencies and will share this with our team. Consistency is the key and a hotel is only made great when this is experienced throughout. This is what we are continually working towards.

I do hope you get a chance to return in the very near future.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

My wife and I stayed as part of a tour package through Wales, Ireland and England. The room was large (king bed) and was very clean. We had an over-sized tub and separate shower stall. The TV was small, and the remote didn't work (they never do). The view wasn't very nice. They staff was uneven (not rude, but not exactly warm). The food in the hotel (breakfast buffet only) was not great. The location was OK as well; it was within 15 minutes walking of a main shopping area, restaurants and Cardiff castle. I'd recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review the Hotel and I hope you are enjoying your tour of the UK and Ireland.

I apologise for the TV remote issues and that you felt our team offered beige service. This is certainly not the impression they normally give to our guests. I will share the comments with the team as they always value hearing what our guests think.

I do hope you enjoy the rest of your stay in the UK and have a pleasant trip home.