2,857 results
All reviewsprivilege roomrelaxation roomthe underground car parkcorner roomcity centreseparate showersteam roomlovely hotelchanging roomsroom was largehigh floorsuperior roomhen partyreception deskleisure facilitiesfollowing morninglovely room
Reviewed 10 March 2009

We booked this for the location (excellent for the city centre) and the spa facilities. Most of the cost was covered by Tesco deal vouchers and the rates for this were reasonable.

The staff at check-in were marvellous (friendly and helpful) and we were even upgraded (even though we paid with Tesco vouchers) as it was my fiances birthday.

The room itself was lovely and comfortable with amazing views as we had a high floor. Yes, the decor is a little dated, but the size and comfort factor made up for that.

I'm not sure that this really classes as a spa hotel more a leisure centre and treatment rooms. There was a pool with jacuzzi, and steam room and some treatment rooms. I had booked us both in for a massage. The therapists were good but there was a lot of noise from outside the rooms and my room was very cold.

We ate in the hotel on our first night there and although a little pricey, the food was excellent and the bar area was lovely.

Overall we were very pleased with our stay and would probably recommend this hotel however i was very disappointed as I stupidly left my phone charger in the room when we left. It took 8 phonecalls to the hotel to confirm that they had found it and arrange for it to be returned and it was over 2 weeks before i actually got it back after paying a hefty postage charge. Yes, it was my fault but I was appalled at the lack of assistance or urgency to return it (especially after my Dad received his back from a small b&b a few months earlier before he even realised he had left it there).

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2009

Stayed for a two night break at the wonderful Holland House. Large, welcoming reception and great check in service. Were able to check in ahead of scheduled time which was a great blessing with children in tow. Had a very large room on the 11th floor with plently of space for all the family, and a separate area for the childrens sofa bed, that doubled into a lounge area by day!
Excellent breakfast - included in our B&B rating - the staff even made a hot chocolate for my daughter!
Excellent location too! Will be back as soon as possible!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 February 2009

A very nice hotel with excellent staff who were on hand to help in every way they could. Arrived and found very helpful check-in staff, I asked her to make sure we had a good view so she put us on the 14th floor - great views over the city. The 18m pool is very pleasant with a nice sauna, jacuuzi and steam room poolside so I spent a very happy hour in and around the pool - again the staff were very good and they had trunks on sale which was great as i'd forgotten mine!
The room was large, spacious with a lovely comfy bed. Bathroom with big bath (plenty big enough for 2) and separate shower was very nice, and there were nice touches like a cd player which had speakers in the bath room and good tourist magazines and books about south wales. Concierge service was good two - needed a vase and a corkscrew and both were at my door in minutes.

It is showing it's age a little bit - the décor is a touch tired and there were a few scuffs on the furniture and a bit of mildew staining in the shower so perhaps needs refreshing soon but nothing to detract from our stay. Breakfast was very good - I wider selection than most buffets and they cooked a good poached egg!

Some others have mentioned the windows aren't that clean - which is true but to be honest a building like this in a rainy city like Cardiff is never going to have clean windows for very long.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 February 2009

Booked a great deal on the hotel's website which included breakfast. The reception and foyer area gives a very good 1st impression. The room we had on the 7th floor was huge with excellent views toward Cardiff Bay - although the windows could have been cleaner! The only complaints we could have made were that the mini bar was empty (probably a good thing with hindsight!) and there was only 1 flapjack to go with the variety of tea and coffee in the room. Oh yes, the bed cover looked very worn and should have been replaced. The bed was huge and extremely comfortable. The bathroom too was large with an enormous bath and separate shower. Everything was spotlessly clean.
We had a night cap in the bar. This was a very quiet and relaxing area.
Breakfast was really busy. There was a huge variety of food, but the cooked stuff was disappointing. As is usually the case with buffet breakfasts it was all luke warm. Not pleasant! The bacon must have been there a long time and had become very tough. My advice would be to avoid the cooked stuff as there are plenty of other things to fill up on.
The cost of the parking at £12 was steep, but that's what you expect to have to pay these days.
This hotel is in a great location as everything is within walking distance- except the Bay area, but the train for that is conveniently located close by.
I have stayed at The St David's hotel but would consider the Mercure Holland House to be much better value for money.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 26 January 2009

I booked the hotel through the hotel's site (Accor) at a great weekend break rate which was offered for Mercure hotels across europe. It included breakfast which was really good and not greasy like most buffet style english breakfasts.We had a really nice room on the 14th floor -a queeen bed with a single on the side.I didn't request this but I didn't mind because the room was huge and it didn't make a difference.There was a view out towards the bay.The hotel is close enough to walk to shops and right around the corner from queen street station. I used the pool,it was very clean as well as the changing area. I didn't go to the bar so I can't comment on it.There is a really nice sushi place nearby where we had a light meal.I usually stay at Novotel but will definately go back to the Mercure Holland House when I need to be closer to town.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family