Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa
Ranked #13 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 15 May 2010

This hotel is obviously converted from an office block, so lacks a little in charm, but has a long list of features to make up for it.

Firstly everything is generously spaced. The bedrooms are big, with a decent sitting area - and fantastic views across the city. There is also a good sized bar and the gym is well-equipped, without being that flashy. I didn't use the pool, but I had a peek and it look reasonable.

The location is just out of the town centre and that has its good and bad points - It makes it much quieter than the city centre hotels because there aren't the clubs and bars nearby, but it is just a tiny bit out of the way. It is very handy for Queens St station, however, which has a regular, quick and cheap shuttle service down to Cardiff Bay.

My partner stays here regularly and says the service has always been very good before - we had a few niggles during my stay and seemed to be on the phone to reception a lot, but I'm going to put that down to a bad day.

We had a room rate that included breakfast and wifi - both of these are over-priced if you have to pay for them. Breakfast was the typical big hotel offering.

One final point about something I always want to know myself - the windows don't open, so it is aircon only.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 12 May 2010

We have been to Mercure Cardiff twice for a spa break and we have found it exeptional value for money. The first time we went in 2009 just my partner and I we had a relaxing time and if you book with spa breaks.com you get 2 nights breakfast and dinner and 4 treatments for 269 pounds!! Food was great although the second time we went they had changed the menu and to be honest i preferred the first menu although it was lovely!! Second time we went with our newborn son and they were very accomodating! The viws are fantastic even though the rooms could do with a little face lift. Location is perfect its 2 minutes from all the shops and there are alot of shops! Also not far from the train station. The staff are first class and any problems are dealt with swiftly! Defo reccommewnd for a city spa break and we will be back!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 April 2010

This is an ok hotel in the centre of Cardiff. The room was nice enough but could do with a little upgrading. For example the bathroom, while well presented, smelt of mould and the windows were not double glazed allowing street noise into the room day and night.
The room was spacious, with desk and chairs and the bed was comfortable. The TV was basic and WIfi was extra. I'd expect a business hotel of this standard to offer free wifi and to have digital tv channels or at least Sky News or BBC 24.
The hotel does have a decent sized swimming pool and gym which are in good order.
This is a cut above travellodge or premier inn and for the price I paid (£85) it was a good stay however if you can stretch your budget to over £100 then there are better options in Cardiff.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 April 2010

Car park available beneath hotel for guests where a charge applies but is reasonable when compared to city centre parking.
Check-in was quick and easy. Hotel was fairly quiet as we stayed on a Sunday. We asked if we could be moved to a room closer to the elevators and this was not a problem.
First impression on walking into the room was *wow*. The view from the floor to ceiling windows was breath-taking and you could see right out to the Bristol Channel.
Room was clean, light, spacious and the perfect temperature. A/C could be controlled within the room which was useful. Plenty of storage space and areas to sit and relax. Internet access was available in the room but was quite expensive.
Unfortunately the main restaurant was not open at the time of our stay but we were able to eat from the restaurant menu in the bar area which had a nice atmosphere. Service was quite slow but the food was delicious when it arrived. We booked a spa break via lastminute.com and so our evening meal and breakfast was included along with a spa treatment and access to the leisure facilities for the duration of our stay.
The breakfast was incredible. So much choice and everything was fresh.
Our spa treatment was lovely and we used the gym and swimming pool afterwards. Gym was a bit small and was packed so didn't stay there for long.
A great stay and would recommend to mothers and daughters or friends looking for a relaxing break.

• Stayed: February 2010
1  Thank wilam06a
Reviewed 16 April 2010

Hotel was great, my room on the 12th floor had amazing views over Cardiff, the bed was huge the bath was huge and there was loads of space in the room for all my stuff.
The only down points I would make are that the bed was not that comfy, it needs a better quality mattress, you can hear some road noise even on the 12th floor, but this is to be expected in a hotel in cardiff city centre.
Also if I was the Manager I would be employing a window cleaner, you get into your room and the views are fantastic but would be even better if the windows were clean.
Finally, the TV only had the 5 terrestrial channels, and the picture wasn't the best, I would think that surely in a 4 star hotel they could get freeview or satellite. I also could not access the WI-FI which didn't create too many problems as I managed to check my emails at the office over the 2 days but I know 1 of my colleagues had problems also
Apart from these points I had a great time and this hotel is now my hotel of choice in Cardiff, and I will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 April 2010

My wife and I stayed at this hotel last Friday night for a bit of shopping and an evening out in Cardiff.

First impressions were very good. The car park is underground, so was never going to be spacious, but it's easy enough to navigate around. There have been complaints about the £12 24 hour charge, but I actually think this is good value in a city where parking is notoriously expensive – try comparing it to the cost of parking at other comparable (maybe the Hilton or Park Plaza) hotels.

Check in staff were very nice and gave us a room on the 10th floor. A previous reviewer raved this is the best hotel that they have every stayed in, unfortunately this hotel fell well below our expectations, even though we paid extra for an 'Upgraded Privilege Room'.......

# Carpet needed a good clean
# Sofa had a hole in the leather
# Not enough pillows (sorted out with a call to housekeeping, but they didn't seem happy we rang)
# A television as big as and out of the ark
# Mould in the shower cubicle
# Scratches all over the windows
# Towels smelt of salt and vinegar crisps!

These issues weren't quite enough to completely spoil the stay, the fantastic view of the city and bay helped make up for it, but we won't be booking here again until we know they have had a refit.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2010

Mercure Holland House, stayed 2 nights in March for my birthday. The best Mercure I have stayed in, infact the best hotel I have ever stayed in.
Staff were all friendly, room service was speedy but didnt like the extra charge of £5 for drinks to be delivered. The room was clean and everything in working order, the mini bar was empty, I guess you have to call room service for it be re-stocked. However, one little problem guest before us had tipped Milk in the mini fridge and the smell was terrible so we kept it closed. Swimming Pool, Sauna, Steam room, Jacuzzi all clean and brilliant, it was lovely to have a relax!! Breakfast was brilliant also!! Would recommend getting taxi's into town though for a night out... Will be returning, brilliant!!! :)

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple