“Wheelie good accsess”

The Gatekeeper
Ranked #673 of 1,287 Restaurants in Cardiff
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast
Description: The Gatekeeper is a 2 bar, 3 floor operation, specialising in real ales & ciders. We offer a wide selection of food and drinks at value for money prices.The site was formerly Phillips Auction house, until 2001 when JDW breathed new life into the building.Only a stones throw away from the Millenium Stadium the home of Welsh Rugby, the pub generates an amazing atmosphere on match days that is unique in the city.
Reviewed 18 September 2013

This pub is what you would of expect of a Witherspoons pub. Cheap and cheerful, (not so cheap drinks) but cheap food especially the curry served on a Thursday, it has really good access for wheelchairs with disabled toilets upstairs and downstairs, upstairs accessed by a lift

Reviewed 16 September 2013

Myself and my husband along with our two children decided to eat at the gatekeeper. It's not our usual choice of food as we had the kids. More so, we couldn't of decided to go to a better place. Such polite and friendly staff, food served to a substantial satisfaction. My children decided to eat from the deli deal which we only has discovered from the posters displayed as we came in. What a fab deal! My husband ate the 14 Angus steak just quality for the price that you get. We will be visiting again.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We went into The Gatekeeper with our grandchildren, aged 6 and 10, as we had used the Imperial in Exeter with them several times, but perhaps we are spoiled with Imperial.
The bar staff were friendly and helpful.
Despite it being "Fish Night" when we went in at 6pm there were no fish dishes available, despite the advert for fish still being displayed. The Welsh faggots were not available either.
The children's colouring packs we had to ask for, and we also had to ask for the "included" fruit.
The beer quality was poor, and my son and I who are both in CAMRA, thought they were over gassed for the type of beers we were drinking - Mordue Red and the Orangs Weisse Beer.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

We decided as a family to stop for a meal today at this venue, how sorry were we 4 adults and 2 children.
We ordered our food, it arrived in good time to be fair, and we were told there were problems earlier in the morning, As we went to get drinks and order food, bar staff informed us that they had problems earlier with the grill, but all was fine now.

When our food arrived another staff member told us, they had had trouble with the fridges.

Anyway my daughter ordered her food it came with a side of coleslaw, it smelt funny looked off, I tasted it I had to spit it out, it was well off so much so that the cabbage was smelling and looking off, and the mayo was bubbly, My husband ordered the hot dog meal, it was lovely in fairness, but you got a side paper thing with the mustard in, well why did they bother, half a tea spoon of mustard in the paper container it was not even quarter full, same for my relish for my burger, my god are they tight I had to scrape it out with my knife they are not generous at all, also my salad with my burger well, the lettuce was shrivelled up tight, looks like it been in a bowl for days.
Anyway my daughter complained on her coleslaw, the waitress came back saying, so sorry, there is a funny smell and taste we have thrown the hole lot out, would you like a hot drink to say sorry, the blooming cheek of it. Just to warn you all do not eat there, O Neils for us from now on, this venue is disgusting and some one is going to die or be seriously ill one day ...

Reviewed 27 August 2013

After recently receiving an assurance from Wetherspoons that their supply issues were being addressed, The Gatekeeper managed to have no Sunday Roasts available at all, before the day was half over.

What is the point of running such places?

2  Thank WIKRoberts