“Surprising”

Ranked #557 of 1,295 Restaurants in Cardiff
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar Scene
Description: Recently refurbished. Classy, modern decor, with great cocktails and food. Excellent service and friendly atmosphere. You will be surprised at this out of the way gem. Non residents welcome.
Reviewed 15 January 2013

The reason I entitled this 'Surprising' is because we weren't expecting what we got. My partner and I were meeting friends at the hotel they were staying in ,which was the Royal Hotel, and planning to go for a meal altogether in the city centre. When we arrived we were very pleasantly surprised at how nice the decor was. The bar was small but very chic.

We decided to have a drink while waiting for our friends to get ready. The cocktails were fantastic and we had great fun trying the concoctions which were created by the bar staff. The bar is not very noticeable as the hotel is situated on the 2nd floor above nightclubs but if your willing to make the journey (in the lift) then you'll find you can have great evening without the loud overcrowded bars which seem to be the norm.

When our colleagues joined us the mood was swaying more to staying in the hotel bar and eating there. After checking the menu again i was surprised, its not fine dining but the quality of the food was brilliant and I had one of the best risottos I've ever had. It was also nice to have good portions for your money. I will definetly be going back to the Royal.

2  Thank Simon M