“Truly different experience”

Ranked #30 of 1,226 Restaurants in Cardiff
Price range: US$11 - US$31
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Viva Brazil Churrascaria is an award winning, authentic, Brazilian style Steakhouse
Chester, United Kingdom
“Truly different experience”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My main piece of advice is don't wear anything tight !! This was a wonderful experience, a really different way of being served. I stay in the Maldron Hotel regularly as it's simply brilliant. This restaurant is on the ground floor, although not associated with the Hotel. I've often looked in and had it on my list of places to eat as it always appeared popular and lively, so I went last night with two colleagues.
The staff are most welcoming and explain how everything happens because it is quite different to your normal menu orientated restaurant . We were given a drinks menu and advised to go to the salad and buffet self service area to take a plate and help ourselves.. The self service area has a salad side with the usual range including lettuce, toms, onions, chillies, peppers and a hot food side which includes garlic mushrooms, lentils, beans, chips. potatoes, various rice combinations, breads and a wide variety of olives. Don't over do this part of the meal, it's tempting but you can revisit this area as many times as you'd like, in fact your server will offer to bring you a clean plate about half way through the meal in order to start over with the salad and potato choices.
The main part of the meal is the 15 meat choices individually cut from skewers served for you at the table over a period of time. Choose your pace by using the card which shows red to leave you alone to eat or green to invite the servers to bring more skewers.
You use a tongs to catch your meat as it is sliced off the skewer and we were happy to have a small slice of almost everything but noticed that some people were asking for a number of slices. We couldn't finish even one slice of all the 15 choices and were in awe of those who were able to choose more ! The skewers are cooking over a grill in the restaurant area and it's interesting to watch the way this works. All in all I think this is a really different experience. The food is excellent and you are in control of what you choose. Our bill for three of us, with only one drink each, came to slightly over £100 so it's not cheap. If you want a unique experience, want to celebrate something or just want to try something new I'd be shocked if you were disappointed as this is a fab place The menu states a veggie option but I have no idea how that would work as it is totally meat orientated. Save up and give it a go !! I don't think I have ever felt so full up after a meal, so prepare by turning up hungry........ Staff are really helpful and lovely.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
“Viva la carne!”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This is a great looking restaurant, with a large seating area flooded with natural light during the day and a small bar area at the front. Tables are a little tight but this shouldn't cause too much of a problem unless the restaurant is really packed.

There is a large salad bar plus hot food such as fried banana, which are all fresh and delicious. Our drink order seemed to take longer than strictly necessary so we all helped ourselves and sat awaiting the meat.
If your ‘beer mat’ is face up one of the Passadors will stop at your table with a skewer from the bbq grill, dripping with juicy, meaty goodness and carve off slices. There are 15 cuts of meat for you to try and though they varied in quality a little they were all delicious, usually crispy on the outside and well-medium in. Obviously you can eat as much or as little as you like and if you need a break turn over your card and they’ll pause.

Service was prompt and courteous, skewers are circulated every few minutes. I couldn’t say why our drinks took so long to arrive initially but the next round was quicker. The restaurant had maybe a dozen tables full on a Tuesday lunchtime.

The full lunch menu costs £14.95, after 5 £24.95. Soft drinks £2 and beers from £3.85. Certainly not an everyday dining options but definitely something a little different.

“Skillett galore”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Warm welcome ; buzzy atmosphere ; friendly staff ; great vino/ cocktails ; Encouraged to go to salad/veggie station first (ok selection) but as the Charcuterie was slow at times so therefore there was always the issue of filling yourself up before you were served any meat accompaniment . Found yourself spending more time looking around for the waiters...hardly relaxing. My partner let the staff know in advance that she had an allergy to red wine so was only able to taste half the menu and whilst i was being served she had to wait longer. The quality of the meat was a bit hit and miss. Glad we had the experience but sadly won't be rushing back .

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“So full it hurt to even breathe!”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My partner and I decided to visit Viva Brazil on a Sunday evening after working all day. We arrived earlier than our booked timeslot but were quickly shown to a table. I am rather fussy with where I sit so I asked to sit closer to the window which was not a problem.
Neither of us had been before the the waitress explained how it worked and gave us a very extensive wine list and cocktail list. We ordered two Caipirinha which once we had mixed it altogether with the ice was very refreshing and zingy.
I then went to the salad bar which had a good range of options to choose from - the garlic mash and black bean and pork stew being our favourites.
The skewered meat was plentiful and asking for as many slices as you wanted was not a problem. The smoked gammon and pork ribs were particularly good.
The desserts were all homemade - we had the orange cake and lime tart both nice but the lime tart could've done with a shorter pastry case and more of a lime kick to it.
We tried all the meats, had to cocktails, a bottle of red wine and 2 desserts (which are included in the price on a Sunday) and the bill was £80 - expensive but definitely worth it.
We left struggling to walk home we were so full. I don't know how people can say that they left hungry as we were offered plenty of meat and told just to ask for anything that we particularly liked and they would bring it back.
Our waitress was very friendly and attentive - some of the best service I have had in a Cardiff restaurant recently.
We will definitely be back.

Stafford, United Kingdom
“Wow what an experience!”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

This was a real experience, frantic and fast paced really good fun. The customer service was exceptional especially the two bar staff who never seemed to stop but were always pleasant and polite. We tasted 15 different types of meat and each one was beautifully presented, as and when you wanted it. We would highly recommend this restaurant but maybe not if you are looking for a quiet romantic meal out!

Visited July 2014