“Filthy & Disappointing”

Cuisines: Portuguese
London, United Kingdom
“Filthy & Disappointing”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I know people rave about Nando's, so perhaps the branch we attended was out of synch with most other branches elsewhere....

We were seated.... the table and the booth seating was filthy so my husband hooked out the baby wipes and gave everywhere a clean, watched from a distance by several staff who seemed more concerned with flicking food at each other and messing about at the service counter. Even the menus were disgusting to handle... covered in sticky grime which made choosing at meals unpleasant. We even had to offer baby wipes to the couple seated behind who were also enduring the same issues.
Had it not been for the fact we were in need of refreshment after a days shopping with our small child we would have walked out.....I mean how much worse could it get?

We ordered a small platter to share and some drinks.... Curiously that the platter for sharing comes with one massive piece of corn rather than being served cut up, so we attempted to cut it ourselves only to find upon picking it up that it was totally black burnt to a crisp on the underside - We sent it back and another one was quickly plopped on the plate with "Extra butter to make up for the inconvenience".... um thanks!?

My husband had to wait for his drink because there were no glasses available?! He was finally given one complete with undesired 'warmness' having bee hooked straight from the dishwasher. When the platter arrived he also had to wait for a plate until the dishwasher had finished....I mean seriously?? While we ate, at several points staff were dropping and breaking glasses and plates so perhaps their relentless and reliable clack handedness explains the lack of crockery....

Meanwhile our 3 year old daughter needed the toilet, which is upstairs.... It was absolutely buzzing. Dirty toilet roll strewn everywhere, filthy sinks and stinking - Definitely a place that needs more than a once a day check in a busy establishment such as this.

As we walked back downstairs my 3 year old spotted some other children with crayons and a colouring book - Having not been to Nando's I hadn't assumed such things were on offer, but seemingly they 'might be' if your waitress can be bothered to offer your child some. I took the liberty of helping myself from a counter upstairs on which they were piled and returned downstairs to our meal.

Alarmingly I watched several staff aimlessly wondering about with apparently little to do... MOST ALARMINGLY was the failure to observe general food hygiene!!!! The kitchen preparation area is open to view and I watched repeatedly staff members taking bread rolls from a bag with ungloved hands, then preparing raw chicken with the same ungloved hand, then returning to get more bread from bags.... Seriously appalling. More appalling because the chap I assume was the duty manager was strolling about and didn't seem to notice or be concerned about this....

The meal itself - nothing special. Certainly not something worth making a dash out to find as opposed to making do with a supermarket frozen version thrown in the oven and a bit of flavoured microwave rice.

Perhaps we are older than the average clientele as we're in our 30's, and expect better service, cleanliness and care....

Worrying.... very worrying.... We hotfooted it out of there and went to another establishment for desert....

We shall not return.

• Visited October 2013

UK
“1st time at nando's!”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Bit of a queue for the meal but given a table within 15 minutes. Bit expensive for what it was but still tasty.

Visited October 2013
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Not impressed”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Never been to a Nando's before and was disappointed with the amount of food for the money (not this specific restaurant as feel all Nando's would do the same)Lack of communication between staff. However when I complained they did rectify the situation in a friendly manner.

Visited September 2013
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“I Will Never Visit Nandos Again! Terrible Food, Worse Service”
Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

I visited Nandos with my partner and some friends. Everyone ordered their food together.
I ordered the chicken burger but when it came, it was piri piri, therefore I sent it back. Second burger that came out was cold and very dry so I sent it back. I was waiting on a third order, it took over half an hour by which point, our friends had finished eating and were waiting to leave. I made a complaint to the manager, he apologised and refunded my entire bill including drinks and my partners food. I was grateful for this and made it clear to him that I was disappointed and that i would never visit again.

• Visited August 2013
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
“Great Food, Great Welcome!”
Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

First rate food and first rate service! No wonder we come back :) Keep up the good work! Very busy but staff are so efficient that you do not even notice.

• Visited July 2013