“excellent food”
Review of KL Canolog - CLOSED

KL Canolog
Cuisines: Malaysian
Description: KL Canolog is a cafe that was located at Wellfield Road in Roath, Cardiff, and has now evolved into a Pop Up Cafe, making our appearances at numerous food events, fetes and fairs in Cardiff. We now regularly take part in events such as the Womanby Street Street Food Pop Up where we run our Malaysian food stall at the Urban Tap House every fortnight. To keep up to date to where and when you can try our food next please follow us on twitter. Thanks.
Reviewed 6 February 2014

This is a gem of a restaurant - small IS beautiful. The food is fresh and delicious and VERY good. Service can be a little slow but that's because they are preparing and cooking your meal. The food is so good and you can buy the essential ingredients in their little shop to make your own meals - but why bother?? The KL Canolog is a great place to go. As well as fantastic food, the people who work there are lovely and attentive without being obtrusive. Haven't yet tried their desserts but they sound and look delicious too. Please visit - you're missing a treat and it's not expensive.

beady-eyed, Owner at KL Canolog, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Hi there,
Thanks so much for visiting us and for your support. We really appreciate your wonderful review! Reading such good reviews really encourages us to maintain our standards and improve further where we can. A great pleasure serving you & hope to see you again soon! Thanks again.
Warm regards,
Bakh, Zainah & the Canolog team.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Found this place by chance - glad! Lovely nasi lemak with chicken rendang and husband had mee goreng/noodles. Friendly Malaysian staff service. Service was slow but owner made it up with slice of cake on the house, but I would have waited as long for good ol Malaysian food. Since it's our first time here, I would have liked the dish to be a lil more spicer to suit my Malaysian taste bud, which I might request on my next visit.
Would be great if they start doing lunch hour 'nasi campur'!....Lovely 'pandan' cake too. Will definitely be visiting again especially with prices being reasonable.

beady-eyed, Owner at KL Canolog, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Hi there! Nice to have met you and your family last Sunday at our humble café. It's great to get such a fantastic review from a Malaysian who knows her Malaysian food! Yes, the next time you visit, we can make your dishes a bit more spicy if you like, just mention it to us, no problem. Also glad you liked our home made pandan cake. see you again soon on your next visit!
Kind regards,
Bakh & the team at Canolog

Reviewed 18 January 2014

We went here today for the first time and it was an ideal compromise as my husband wanted rice and we wanted a sandwich. I had beef rendang wrap which was so tasty and my daughter a satay wrap. My husbands Malaysian biriani was also a hit. The staff there were so friendly and I also did a bit of shopping in there too. I would definitely go back. Delicious

Hi, thanks for visiting us and trying out our food. What a wonderful review you've given us. Thanks so much and hope to see you and your family again soon!
Regards,
From the team at KL Canolog

Reviewed 24 December 2013

I had a Noodle dish and was very pleased with the service, portion, price and the taste. I will visit this restaurant again to order more food and give a more detailed review.

Hi there, Thank you for giving us a try and for a your great review! I remember both of you had our mee goreng. Glad to know that enjoyed it and are happy with the price, food and taste. Just to let you know, we have just done some interior improvements to our dining area to create a better café atmosphere.
Kind regards,
Bakh & the Canolog team.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

On my wifes and I's visit we had the Nasi Lemak and Mee Goreng. Now I have to mention I have eaten in Hawkers all over Malaysia and Singapore for many years and this is not what you receive. It is a criticism but can be improved upon. On my visit, I expected my Mee goreng, which is spicy fried noodles, to be cooked fresh which the marination to be home made, What I head was "Bing" and again for my wifes "Bing", this was the microwave. I saw no real cooking happening and I can appreciate things are prepared in advance, but for the Price this was in no way in credit to the quality and authentic flavour I would have hoped for. Portions are also small and if you have never tried Malaysian cuisine it can be an acquired taste so go with an open mind. More fresh cooking and authentic flavours would be great to get a true reflection of Malay food.

2  Thank lifeoffood
beady-eyed, Owner at KL Canolog, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Dear sir,
Your assumptions are incorrect and thus your review have been based on the wrong assumptions of our cooking technique/method. We would appreciate it if you took greater care in judging us on facts and not on incorrect assumptions. While we always appreciate criticisms and take on board comments by our valued customers, reviews made based on incorrect assumptions are careless and unfair.

About the Mee Goreng:
1. Our MEE GORENG is freshly fried in the wok every time, served straight away and NEVER MICROWAVED. There should have been three clear signs to you that it was freshly fried in the wok (and not microwaved). Firstly, the sound of the clanging of the wok and ladle which we are very surprised you did not hear or mention. 2nd, The appearance and feel of the dish as it reached your table, ie. the beansprouts and veg should would have still possessed a certain crispness which is not possible if it was microwaved, and thirdly, if you were to visually observe more carefully the activity going on in our partially open kitchen, you would have seen us frying the mee goreng in the wok and place the food on the plate straight from the wok.
2. Our mee goreng is the 'mamak' style mee goreng. which is totally different from hawker style food which you claim it should be like. Therefore, our mee goreng cannot be compared to hawker food. To add to that, we are a café and not a hawker stall. The mee goreng fried 'mamak' style is the most well known and famous style of mee goreng in Malaysia. The ingredients used is typical of how it is done in Malaysian mamak shops and restaurants, definitely not the same as Malaysian hawker style food and also different compared to the Singaporean style mee goreng, which I think you are more familiar with, being from Singapore. We understand that there is always a lot of confusion when it comes to Singaporean Malay food and Malaysian Malay food. it can be similar but not the same. We would appreciate it if you could enquire first before you judge if you are not sure of the type and origin of the dish. Also, you wrote in your review that the mee goreng is not spicy. If you had read our menu properly, the description for the mee goreng states mild (not spicy), this is not untypical of the mamak style mee goreng. but you would have noticed (but fail to mention) we do put in extra chillies on the side, if some of our customers want more spiciness its just a matter of mixing that in.

About the Nasi lemak & Rendang:
I am assuming you or your wife had the chicken or beef rendang with the Nasi Lemak. The rendang that comes with the nasi lemak is cooked over a period of more than 1.5 hours. Because meat is easily prone to shredding if kept in a bain marie or kept on constant heat on the stove, we have to take it off the heat once it is cooked to prevent this (also to prevent from drying up). This practice is also done due to food safety reasons for the benefit of customers who dine at our café. The rendang is then momentarily put in the microwave to get it up to the right temperature. You heard the two 'bings' because we have to reach a certain safe temperature before serving, so the second time was to ensure that the right temperature is reached. the Nasi Lemak (rice) is freshly cooked in our rice cooker.

We respect your views on the price but I think this was based on your incorrect assumption that the mee goreng was microwaved, so perhaps it didn't do us justice. As you know the mee goreng ranges from £6 - 7. and the nasi lemak ranges from £6 - 8.70, and even though the ingredients used are expensive and imported ingredients such as south east Asian dried anchovies, lemongrass, galangal etc, we have kept our prices at a very reasonable level. The rendang is not the typical curry which would be a lot cheaper to make, and the nasi lemak is not just plain boiled rice as you know (coconut milk is used). While we can accept that our nasi lemak portion might seem a little small, our mee goreng portion is a good size.

Regards,
From the team at KL Canolog.