“This is what I call a hidden gem!”
Review of KL Canolog - CLOSED

KL Canolog
Cuisines: Malaysian
Description: KL Canolog is a cafe that was located at Wellfield Road in Roath, Cardiff, and has now evolved into a Pop Up Cafe, making our appearances at numerous food events, fetes and fairs in Cardiff. We now regularly take part in events such as the Womanby Street Street Food Pop Up where we run our Malaysian food stall at the Urban Tap House every fortnight. To keep up to date to where and when you can try our food next please follow us on twitter. Thanks.
Fleet, United Kingdom
“This is what I call a hidden gem!”
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Simple decor with nice touches of Malaysian and Cardiff references
Location itself is in a popular student district of the Welsh capital, so should generate enough clientele to keep it going
Pricing is OK for the fact that we're in the UK, those visiting from SE Asia would baulk at the prices for what they are getting - if you happen to be one of those, grow up! It's basic economics and we have to accept that this place wouldn't survive if it charged Malaysian pricing
On to the food itself - when I heard about this place, I was looking forward to having Nasi Lemak as I haven't had that for over two years.....but then I had a craving for Beef Rendang
So you can imagine my sheer delight when they actually served up Nasi Lemak WITH Rendang
My fiancé had the same thing, but with chicken and my dad had Nasi Goreng - all three of us left feeling immensely satisfied and will definitely be making repeat visits in the future

Visited April 2014
beady-eyed, Owner at KL Canolog, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Hi there!
Thank you for your wonderful review! We are very happy that you enjoyed your visit and the nasi lemak, rendang and nasi goreng. It was nice to have met you and your family even though only briefly. The team and I are really glad that you found what you were looking for. Hope to see you again soon!
Team KL Canolog.

“Yummy, different and well priced”
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Visited Sunday afternoon and was delighted to see such a strong menu. The beef rendang is delicious. Though the anchovies threw me a little. The chicken byriani didn't disappointed either.

beady-eyed, Owner at KL Canolog, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Hi! Thanks very much for trying our food & for a wonderful review. and thank also for taking the photos of the dishes. Happy to know you liked the beef rendang and chicken biryani. hope to see you again soon, and if you order nasi lemak, just let us know you prefer it without the anchovies, we'll exclude it from the plate, no problems. Cheers!
Bakh, Zainah & the team.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Malaysia boleh!”
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

Being a Malay Singaporean of Indonesian descent, I am very much missing my local dishes esp mum's cooking. Did a google search on Malay food and we found KL Canologue so my husband and I decided to give KL Canologue a try. We ordered the mee goreng and the Nasi Lemak with Chicken Rendang. Oh my the sambal, it reminded me so much of home! Not forgetting the Teh Tarik! Although Singapore's foods and Malaysia's foods are somewhat similar, they still have their own identity and this is the closest I get to home food. Amazing service, warm and friendly. Will be back for the laksa!! Terima kasih KL Canologue! P/S: Would be nice if you could sell some Malaysia products ie keropok ikan, cucur adabi, etc

• Visited March 2014
beady-eyed, Owner at KL Canolog, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Hello & Apa Khabar!
Yes, Malaysia boleh! (Malaysia can!). Reading that our sambal reminded you of home really made our day! especially after saying that you missed your mum's food. we are really honoured that you have put us in such high regard. It is our aim indeed to serve our customers Malaysian food that taste like our mothers' cooking ie. home cooked Malaysian food! And thank you also for acknowledging that although Malaysia's neighbouring countries have similar dishes, there are slight variations that makes them each still distinctively different. Diolch, thank you & terima kasih puan & jumpa lagi! (see you again).
Bakh and the team.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Malaysian Food”
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

After living nearby for over a year my girlfriend and I decided to book a table at KL Canolog. On our travels we always said that Malaysian food was our favourite, so we were excited to reminisce and enjoy the taste of Malaysian food once again. We ordered our favourites, two Teh Tarik's, shared a roti canai and chicken satay starter, as did we with the prawn laksa and nasi lemak with chicken rendang. The rotis are as close to malaysia as we've had in the UK and the Teh Tarik was a much needed warm delight. The food was wonderful, the owner and chef were very lovely too. A great experience that I recommend. Makes us want to go back to KL!!!

Visited February 2014
beady-eyed, Owner at KL Canolog, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Hi! Thank you for your kind and supportive comments. So glad that you had decided to reserve a table and come for a visit to try out the Malaysian food that we serve that evening, and to say that it made you want to go back to KL is really wonderful to know and as good a compliment as we'll ever get! Thanks so much and hope to see you both again soon.
Kind regards,
From all of us at KL Canolog.
Cardiff
“I can't believe I've not been before”
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

I dont know why I've never been before but I am now a convert. Great for a quick coffee, tasty snack or a fabulous meal. Great value for money.

beady-eyed, Owner at KL Canolog, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Hello,
We are very happy to know that you enjoyed the food and the coffee. It's also fantastic to know that you found KL Canolog great value for money. Thank you very much for your fab review! See you at your next visit, cheers!
Kind Regards,