“Couldn't be better”

Ranked #57 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Jersey, United Kingdom
“Couldn't be better”
Reviewed 17 November 2012

3 nights here, room 5 after horrible experience at Ibis in S'oton where much more i've expected from such huge worldwide brand, totally dissap.

Millenium Lodge? Just PERFECT - friendly and warm welcome (1st time in Cardiff). Back to room, very surprised finding all i was needed wi-fi for free (hello 21st century), heating. Clean bathroom, comfy beds,TV, quiet room despite the building's position on the high street. Made my experience even greater. I understood that breakfast its included, which is not, but there is no problem i'd rather wake up at 11 with a pint at Queens Vault round the corner. I fell in love with the City. Thanks!!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
owner123, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this review, 23 November 2012
Wow.
I am really pleased that you have enjoyed your stay. I am also really grateful about the information that you have listed.
Many big brands do not offer the same things that we do. I realise that we have steep stairs with no lift but we do try to compensate in other ways. Our main aim is to be excellent value for money especially against our competitors.
It is really nice to read that you feel that this is the case especially as you know first hand what other budget hotels are like.
Thank you very much for your kind words as it helps us a lot.
Hopefully we welcome you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Czech first
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2012

Having read all the reviews on this lodge i was not expecting much. On arrival we checked in at Sandringham hotel. Staff there were very friendly. Once over the road at the ML Lodge we made our way up to room 5 on the third floor. Stairs were very steep, but the lighting was adequate. When we entered our room we were pleasantly suprised, we had all the gadgets inside that we could have needed. The beds were comfy and we heard no noise from the street outside, although noise should be expected in the middle of such a busy street! People forget that this is a lodge and not a hotel (hence the price) We did not smell anything from the fast food shop down below, not in the passageways nor inside our room. Would certainly stay here again, good price and quality.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
owner123, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this review, 12 November 2012
Thank you very much for your kind words.
I am really pleased that you have enjoyed your stay and for your balanced review.
We do as you say have steep stairs so guests should be aware of this. However we supply little extras that the budget chains do not and I am grateful that you have noted this.
We are not owned by the Sandringham but we do use their reception facility. I am pleased to read that you have found them to be helpful.
I hope we will welcome you again in the near future.
poole
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Firstly great location easy to walk to shopping centre and restaurants. On the down side this Lodge which is part of the Sandringham Hotel is tired, scruffy and has very steep stairs which border on dangerous due to its insufficent lighting. Reception friendly so well done to her, however beds very hard and uncomftable especially over 2 nights also be advised this is on St Marys Street with bars, clubs and opposite a taxi rank opperating all night so lots of noise and broken sleep.

Room Tip: If hoping for a peaceful nights sleep stay out city centre and try outskirts for better standard of...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank gary f
owner123, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this review, 2 November 2012
Thank you very much for your review.
I am pleased to read that you have enjoyed the location of the hotel.
However I am sorry that you feel the hotel is tired and scruffy. The ML Lodge is graded as a lodge and not a hotel so I hope you at least found that the price was good value for money.
The stairs are steep as you say but they do meet the guidelines and it is mentioned on the booking site that you reserved with. The lighting is via motion detect as part of our environmental policy. I will check it though as it should not feel dangerous. I am currently reviewing all of our beds to ensure that they are up to standard and will rectify any problems found.
I must inform readers that the ML Lodge is NOT part of the Sandringham Hotel so the review and title is incorrect regarding this. We just use their reception facility.so I am very pleased that you have found the receptionist to be friendly and I have passed on your comments.
Please be assured that I will act on your concerns and as a result I hope that we will see you again in the future.
London
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I booked the Millenium Lodge as I was running in the the Cardiff Half Marathon and it was a good location for the start line. The staff over at the Sandringham were very friendly and helpful and allowed me a later check out time so I could shower after my run which was great.

Unfortunately my room felt quite shabby, there was a blood trickle on the bathroom door and the whole room was not cleaned well at all.

You could feel every single spring in the bed (looking at earlier comments from the manager, apparently all beds are under 3 years old, so I dread to think where they buy them from when they are this bad!)

I had a terrible nights sleep (admittedly this would be partly due to pre-race nerves) however, I was constantly kept awake by a fire door that my neighbours banged repeatedly thru the night and due to ridiculously thin walls could clearly hear my them having a wee like they were doing it in my room!

I would definitely not recommend this 'hotel' not at all worth the £60 I paid for it.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
owner123, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this review, 17 October 2012
Thank you for your review and visit.
I am very sorry that you were not happy with your stay.
The beds as mentioned are not very old but I promise to check on the mattress in the room as it should not be uncomfortable. I also regret that you felt the room was not cleaned properly. I have spoken with my Housekeepers regarding this.
I am very disappointed that you felt the room was noisy. All of the hotel was taken by Marathon runners and there is only one room next to the one you stayed in so I do not know why the guests would have kept going in and out allowing the fire door to bang.
We are a Lodge and not a hotel but I promise that the rate was in line with our competitors for the date that you stayed.
On a separate note The Sandringham Hotel allows us to use their reception facility. I am pleased that they have done a good job and I have passed on your kind words to them.
Please contact me on 029 20373510 if you would like to discuss your review in greater detail.

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Swansea
Reviewed 9 September 2012

The hotel is right oppersite a collection of good pubs,right by the train station and Millennium stadium.The staff are very fiendly and helpful. The bar is open till early in the morning and price of beer is average.

Room Tip: Have one at the front of the hotel because it can be noisy at the back.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
owner123, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Thank you for your review.
I am pleased that you have enjoyed your stay and hope we will welcome you again in the future.
Kind regards
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2012

ML Lodge is located perfect in the middle of central Cardiff. Parking facilities nearby was good. Pleasant welcome at the reception located across the street (Hotel Sandringham). The room was noisy, hot and extremely dirty. For the price of 40pounds we did not expect much, but this was terrible! With a little effort on cleaning the room and bathroom, it could be worth the price. This was a disappointing example of ignorance. Find a better place!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NordNorsk
owner123, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this review, 25 August 2012
Thank you for your review.
Firstly I must say that we are not owned by the same family as the Sandringham where check in is based. I am glad that you were happy with their service and I will pass on your kind comments.
I am sorry however that you did not enjoy the ML Lodge. I can promise that we are not ignorant and do have cleaning procedures in place so I am disappointed that you did not feel this was the case. I do hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future in the hope that you will see us in a better light.
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Everything was okay and staff was very very friendly and nice.
The mattress was newish, no doubt, but could have been more comfortable.
Floor way does smell like the chicken place below (see other reviews) but thankfully room does not.
There was a big event there when we visited, so they wanted to charge the Visa one week in advance, which I think was odd.
The stairway to the room is indeed very steep! But that seems to be normal for houses around the city centre and the location is brilliant.
So don't expect luxury of any sort, but if you're looking for a clean place to stay in the centre for a fair price, this is the place for you.
If I ever visit Cardiff again, I consider to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012
owner123, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this review, 7 August 2012
Thank you very much for your review.
We do charge in advance for major events but the normal cancellation policy still applies so we refund guests if needed. We do this so we are not left on the day with a room to arrive with declined credit card details.
I thank you for your very balanced review and I hope to welcome you in the future.