“Grim”

ML Lodge
Ranked #58 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
“Grim”
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Very bad never want to stay there ever again , no hot water, blood stain on bedding and bed didn't feel safe as notice on door saying keep ur room looked at all times just the worst place I have ever stayed

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Lu35
owner123, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this review, 25 February 2013
Hello
I am very sorry that you have not enjoyed your stay.
However I can assure you that I have found no problem with the hot water and no such stains on bedding. We send our laundry away to be cleaned by a professional company so it would surprise me for this to be as you have stated. I am also surprised that you have not informed us whilst you were here if this was the case.
The sign states that for safety reasons it is adviseable to keep your door locked. This sign will be on all hotel bedroom doors not just ours. It is just a recommendation. We have security cameras on every single corridor which I am sure is far more than some major hotels.
I genuinely regret that you have not enjoyed your stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Czech first
Reviewed 21 February 2013 via mobile

This place is the pits, really. Booked on late rooms, even if you were the fitest person in the world, you would struggle 5 flights of stairs.
The rooms have not been clean in a while with marks all over the walls. Sticky carpet. Mouldy shower, mouldy window sills and curtains. Shower leaked and no hot water. Broken bed, something spiky sticking out of mattress. Holes in sheets and duvet covers, dirty old duvets, with stains.
Noise from street cleaning all night ( the street was cleaner than the room).
Poor communication with owner, who gets stroppy when you complain. So it's pointless. Just don't go there, I felt really grubby when I left. Vile place, a pig sty would be cleaner.

• Stayed February 2013
5 Thank cazbaz247
Simon6567, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this review, 4 October 2014
I am very sorry that you have not enjoyed your stay or the way your complaint was handled.
We always try to improve and will continue to by acting on guests comments.
Kind regards, Chris

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Before I start first can I say that when we checked in at nearby hotel The Sandringham they were lovely & polite & very helpful after we complained!!note this is not part of MLLodge!!!!
We didn't get into room til late as we were out all day so was too late to move hotel!
We didn't expect the Ritz but we expecting a clean room! After we tackled the 4 flights of stairs we got into room which was filthy!! The floor was not clean found toe nail cuttings on carpet,the area around the bin was disgusting! Got into bathroom which was thick with dust the mould in the shower was awful! There was no hot water &when you ran the shower in room no 3 there is a plug in middle of floor and water bubbled up & stank of sewerage!! Opened window then there is an extraction fan from restaurant underneath so we then got the smell of grease & chicken!!
This is the most disgusting place to stay we were given £20 back but am waiting for owner to contact as would like full refund!! Couldn't sleep due to smell & uncomfortable bed which we were concerned what was lurking in the bed!!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Debbie H
owner123, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this review, 18 February 2013
Dear Debbie H
I am very sorry to read that you dd not enjoy your stay.
I admit that we have had a problem with a contract cleaning firm that we were using. We have since changed to another company.
I did not find a problem with the hot water and the floor plug hole is in case of a leak and is not connected to the sewerage. We could have sorted all of the problems out if you had contacted us on the day although I realise that it should be right from the beginning.
I feel the refund given is fair as we could have sorted the issues out or found you alternative accommodation on the night if you felt things were so bad. Nothing was mentioned until the next morning.
All bed linen is cleaned by an outside professional company so your comments about the bed is unjust.
Again I am sorry you have not enjoyed the ML Lodge.
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Reviewed 9 January 2013

This hotel was horrible! I didn't mind the stairs, but the room was filthy! I was afraid to stay here - not for safety but because it was so dirty. There was no toilet paper when I got to the room. When I went to Reception at the Sandringham, the staff person rolled her eyes at me when I requested some.

On the plus side: it was toasty warm, very quiet and a spacious room.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank J B
owner123, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this review, 11 January 2013
Thank you for your review.
I am very sorry to read that you have not enjoyed your stay.
All rooms are serviced daily so I apologise that you found the room dirty. I will check our cleaning procedures to ensure that this does not happen again.
The Sandringham Hotel is independant to ours. We pay to use their reception and catering facilities. I can only imagine that the receptionist rolled her eyes when you mentioned the lack of toilet paper as she was disappointed as I am for you for having to make the journey to get some.
I must stress that we are a Lodge or Bed and Breakfast and not a hotel. We are priced appropriately and service the budget market well
I apologise that we have not met your needs on this occasion.
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2012

3 nights here, room 5 after horrible experience at Ibis in S'oton where much more i've expected from such huge worldwide brand, totally dissap.

Millenium Lodge? Just PERFECT - friendly and warm welcome (1st time in Cardiff). Back to room, very surprised finding all i was needed wi-fi for free (hello 21st century), heating. Clean bathroom, comfy beds,TV, quiet room despite the building's position on the high street. Made my experience even greater. I understood that breakfast its included, which is not, but there is no problem i'd rather wake up at 11 with a pint at Queens Vault round the corner. I fell in love with the City. Thanks!!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
owner123, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this review, 23 November 2012
Wow.
I am really pleased that you have enjoyed your stay. I am also really grateful about the information that you have listed.
Many big brands do not offer the same things that we do. I realise that we have steep stairs with no lift but we do try to compensate in other ways. Our main aim is to be excellent value for money especially against our competitors.
It is really nice to read that you feel that this is the case especially as you know first hand what other budget hotels are like.
Thank you very much for your kind words as it helps us a lot.
Hopefully we welcome you again soon.
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2012

Having read all the reviews on this lodge i was not expecting much. On arrival we checked in at Sandringham hotel. Staff there were very friendly. Once over the road at the ML Lodge we made our way up to room 5 on the third floor. Stairs were very steep, but the lighting was adequate. When we entered our room we were pleasantly suprised, we had all the gadgets inside that we could have needed. The beds were comfy and we heard no noise from the street outside, although noise should be expected in the middle of such a busy street! People forget that this is a lodge and not a hotel (hence the price) We did not smell anything from the fast food shop down below, not in the passageways nor inside our room. Would certainly stay here again, good price and quality.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
owner123, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this review, 12 November 2012
Thank you very much for your kind words.
I am really pleased that you have enjoyed your stay and for your balanced review.
We do as you say have steep stairs so guests should be aware of this. However we supply little extras that the budget chains do not and I am grateful that you have noted this.
We are not owned by the Sandringham but we do use their reception facility. I am pleased to read that you have found them to be helpful.
I hope we will welcome you again in the near future.
poole
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Firstly great location easy to walk to shopping centre and restaurants. On the down side this Lodge which is part of the Sandringham Hotel is tired, scruffy and has very steep stairs which border on dangerous due to its insufficent lighting. Reception friendly so well done to her, however beds very hard and uncomftable especially over 2 nights also be advised this is on St Marys Street with bars, clubs and opposite a taxi rank opperating all night so lots of noise and broken sleep.

Room Tip: If hoping for a peaceful nights sleep stay out city centre and try outskirts for better standard of...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank gary f
owner123, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this review, 2 November 2012
Thank you very much for your review.
I am pleased to read that you have enjoyed the location of the hotel.
However I am sorry that you feel the hotel is tired and scruffy. The ML Lodge is graded as a lodge and not a hotel so I hope you at least found that the price was good value for money.
The stairs are steep as you say but they do meet the guidelines and it is mentioned on the booking site that you reserved with. The lighting is via motion detect as part of our environmental policy. I will check it though as it should not feel dangerous. I am currently reviewing all of our beds to ensure that they are up to standard and will rectify any problems found.
I must inform readers that the ML Lodge is NOT part of the Sandringham Hotel so the review and title is incorrect regarding this. We just use their reception facility.so I am very pleased that you have found the receptionist to be friendly and I have passed on your comments.
Please be assured that I will act on your concerns and as a result I hope that we will see you again in the future.