“Noisy and hot”

ML Lodge
Ranked #57 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
“Noisy and hot”
Reviewed 2 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed in a few hotels in Cardiff over the summer as I was working there. Unfortunately this was my worst experience. Stairs not quite so bad for me as I was on the first floor. The location is excellent - right in the City centre but that is where the good points end I'm afraid.
The room was basic and needs refurbishing although I can't say it was dirty.
The room was hot however which was made worse because I was kept away by a noisy air conditioning unit outside that I had no benefit from at all. Although it was cheap for the centre of Cardiff it was the most expensive I stayed in and not worth it. Felt like a hostel. Wouldn't stay there again and wouldn't recommend - needs some serious money spending in it.

• Stayed June 2013
owner123, Owner at ML Lodge, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Thank you Corinne B for your review.
I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. We are a Lodge and not actually graded as a hotel. We charge very low rates for the city centre and I can promise that all local competition would have
cost much more than us. It is impossible to spend a lot of money without increasing prices dramatically. We are occupied 90% of the year so we do feel we are appropriate for the price we charge.
Again I apologise and hope you will consider returning if the price is more favourable.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Czech first
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Wouldn't recommend this place to anyone! No lift in the b&b if you can call it a b&b paid a £190 for two as I thought I was getting bed and breakfast. To find out when I booked in, that they wanted a extra £6.50 person per day. Will not be staying here again.

• Stayed September 2013
owner123, Owner at ML Lodge, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Thank you for your comments.
I am very sorry that you have not enjoyed your stay.
I can promise that the price paid which was not just for one room/one night was very fair when comparing us to the competition on the date stayed.
All booking sites including the one you used state that prices are room only and sadly no lift.
Breakfast can be taken at a cost in a different hotel ten seconds across the road from us. We are not the same owners but they are well reviewed for their food and service so we feel this is an excellent addition.
I apologise that you felt misled.

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2013

This is a no frills - no pretension place to get a good nights sleep and also be slap bang in the centre of Cardiff. I was here with a group of friends on a stag do recently and we were on the top floor. We were not looking for glamour and didn't get any. You check in at the sandringham (honest, sweet and friendly staff) on the other side of the road and then climb a good number of stairs ( a good workout) to get to decent enough rooms for the price.

There was wifi in the building and a mcdonalds nearby for breakfast. There is a chicken cottage underneath but couldn't smell any fried chicken smell nearby. You get what you pay for and if you have a lot more to spend go elsewhere. It does get a bit loud outside at nights but We all had a good sleep and it was a stag do to remember. There are several free parking spots around 20 mins walk in residential areas of Cardiff.

Cons: each room had only one set of keys with a electronic door access key and a room key.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dharam S
owner123, Owner at ML Lodge, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Thank you very much for your review.
I am very pleased that we were able to satisfy your needs and that you left the Lodge with a positive impression.
I realise that just one key per room can cause some problems. As the key is for the front door then we are unable to offer more due to security. We do let guests in though if required with our master keys. I will keep your views in mind as I know guests would be happier if I could change this policy.
Hopefully we will welcome you again in the future.
Wiltshire,uk
Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

A group of ten of stayed at this hotel yesterday with no complaints from any of us.
The location is excellent and right in the thick of the nightlife.
The rooms were clean, bedding fine and shower worked perfectly.
I would recommend an internal or back bedroom as the main street was noisy.
This hotel has received some unfavourable reviews but we found the experience to be trouble free.
Excellent customer service from the Sandringham hotel
This hotel is not suitable for infirm or disabled guests as there is no lift.
Its not all bad at the Ml lodge and you get what you pay for

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank tawny
owner123, Owner at ML Lodge, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Thank you very much for your review.
We are as you say an excellent base and I am delighted to read that we suited all in your group.
I am so grateful for your balanced review. Admittedly we have many bad reviews on this website.
To all readers I would respectfully like to bring to your attention that we have five steep floors with no lift. This can be off putting from the very beginning. We do our best to make guests aware of this. We are regularly full so we are appropriate for the price we charge.
Your comments will help reassure travelers and so I thank you for this.
Check in is across the road from us in a different hotel. Although we are not the same owners I am delighted to read that you found the staff there to be very helpful..
Hopefully we welcome you again in the future.
Ebbw Vale
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Title says it all. From the entrance hall up to the room everything was dirty. Yes we didn't inform management but there was nothing anyone could have done at that point apart from shut the place down. If we hadn't arrived so late for our evening out then I would have been looking for other accomodation. I blame myself though for not researching ML Lodge more throughly before booking.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
owner123, Owner at ML Lodge, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
Dear Guest.
I am very sorry that you have not enjoyed your stay. We do have strict cleaning procedures in place and all linen/laundry is professionally cleaned. We are now in the process of painting the rooms as I agree that some walls have been marked and may appear as dirty.
We offer so much more than the budget chain hotels and so it is disappointing that you do not feel we are value for money.
Abergavenny, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We checked in about 5pm and were told we were the last in, so were on the top floor (4th floor).
This wouldn't be a problem but there was no lift so we ended up hauling our luggage up endless flights of stairs (we counted 100 steps to the top) - ridiculous!
The room was very basic, not the worst I've ever stayed in but not worth £58 for the night by any stretch of the imagination!!
It occurred to me later that I didn't see any fire escape - you would not want to be stuck in this building I can tell you. Spend your money elsewhere people!

• Stayed July 2013
owner123, Owner at ML Lodge, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Thank you for your review.
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay.
I appreciate the stairs can be hard work but this is mentioned on all websites and we have a tick box to ensure it is mentioned when we take a booking by phone. I am certain you will have seen that it is impossible to get a lift installed as we are small bed and breakfast with nine rooms over five floors.
With regards to fire safety then we have a full fire certificate with a high end fire alarm system that is linked to the fire brigade. We would not be open if the fire brigade felt there was any danger.
We offer so much more than the chain budget hotels including free Wi-Fi.
The criticism seems to be about the stairs and as mentioned above I sadly cannot do anything about this other than to offer you a lower floor room on request if you were to return.
Ebbw Vale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2013

I know we paid cheaply last minute booked but my god I have never stayed in such a filthy room as this .carpets were filthy ,full of questionable stains beds were clean but so uncomfortable I really had a bad back following day the street noise was terrible between party goers till 3am then street cleaners from 5am I had no sleep I can't believe not double glazed . Didn't have shower as too filthy , I wouldn't dare drink out of minging cups .PLEASE AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Susan C
owner123, Owner at ML Lodge, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
Thank you for your review.
I am very sorry to read that you have not enjoyed your stay. I am surprised that you did not mention anything to us.
I genuinely did not find the carpets to be poor in the room. I will investigate about the beds being uncomfortable as we have changed some recently so I thought they were now all okay. Street noise is always more prominent in the city centre but rooms can be requested at the back of the hotel which is much quieter. I am not sure what you believe is wrong with the shower or cups as they are serviced daily.
We are graded as a three star bed and breakfast. We offer extremely competitive rates for the centre of Cardiff. Any profit made is put back into the business. It is extremely tough financially to run and is course made much worse by the bad reviews on this website.
All I can do is promise readers that we try our best and we do get lots of happy guests as well.
We have an occupancy rate of over 85% so I believe we must be offering value for money
I also give my word that if anyone is not happy within fifteen minutes of arrival then they can get a full refund. I state this so people can book with confidence.
Once again I send my apologies
Thank you.